Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: I curse parcells everytime i see matt ryan play...

1. -61
    FinHeavean VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto, On. Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I swear, some of you guys sound like psycho ex boyfriends who stalk their ex girlfriends who dumped you 3 years ago.

Get over it. Move on.
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    You don't get very many chances to legitimately pick a real good quarterback and so it's not like the Dolphins have had that opportunity every year and just screwed the pooch every time. The Dolphins have had two genuine opportunities at elite quarterbacks, both passed up on by Nick Saban. It's looking like there's a chance Matt Ryan may be a third guy, but in order to get into that category Ryan will have to play well in the playoffs for once.
    CK, respect your opinion, but elite and Ryan....they don't go together. Ryan had a very good game last night, no doubt, but an elite QB get it done no matter who is around him, Ryan has weapons galore, and the coaching/organization know that Ryan is a smart QB, a good QB, but he is far from an elite QB, take away his toys, Ryan looks like a QB that needs help.
    Quote Quote  

3. -63
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    We already have a Ryan, Tannehill that is. Revist this in 3 years when Tannehill is actually better than Matty Ice, when Tannehill wins his first playoff game in year 2.
    Right now Ryan is a better QB then Tannehill, but Tannehill is being brought the right way, you can see the confidence in him, I would be very surprised, if Tannehill isn't as good or better then Ryan come next year, after that....lets just say hopefully we don't have to see any more Matt Ryan posts any more. I am very happy with what I am seeing in Tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff?? You hide under Ireland's bed at night? How do you know how Ireland feels in hindsight??? Ive heard Parcells say the exact opposite, that he had no regrets taking Long because it was the safe pick, and how franchises can be ruined if they get a first overall bust, and he wans't sold on Ryan at the time.

just last April Parcells said this: “One of the reasons we took Jake Long is that he was a surer bet,” Parcells told King. “Quarterbacks, you just don’t know. They’re so hard to predict. It’s easier to project how good a tackle is going to be, and a left tackle plays a pretty important position.”
    I know someone personally in the media that has spoken to Parcells about this exact topic, in private, and yes the Ryan versus Long question kept him up at night. That is a simple fact. You're only quoting one side of the issue, the reasons Parcells ultimately was on board with Jake Long over Matt Ryan. But there's always another side to the argument, even with the same person. When Sean Payton left the Cowboys to become the Head Coach of the New Orleans Saints, and Parcells was giving Payton advice on how to establish himself, he told Payton the very first thing he should do is get his quarterback, if he's got the chance. That's why Payton jumped on Drew Brees even accepting the risk associated with his shoulder injury. So Parcells recognized both sides, that it's riskier to take the quarterback over the tackle, AND that the most important thing you need to do when you rebuild a franchise is to get your quarterback. That is why he was kept awake at night. And later, Parcells made big waves when he was asked a question about whether they made the wrong decision, and Parcells suggested that maybe they did. That made all kinds of headlines. Later, after Jeff Ireland felt the need to immediately come out of his cave and make a rare appearance to the media in order to specifically refute the suggestion by Parcells that they regret taking Jake Long over Matt Ryan, that is when Parcells issued a "clarification" of earlier comments. No doubt there was a peeved phone call from Ireland to Parcells somewhere in between the original statement and the clarification.

As for Jeff Ireland, when he selected Jake Long he said immediately that he had Jake as the #1 player on his draft board for over a year prior to that Draft. He specifically said the #1 overall player, not "I had him high" or anything like that. He was the #1 player on his board for over a year. Then, as I said, when Parcells suggested that maybe they did make a mistake choosing Long over Ryan, Jeff Ireland went out of his way to do a rare media appearance in order to reiterate that they have zero regret about taking Jake Long and will never ever have any regret about taking him. He talked about Long being a Pro Bowler every year he's been in the league, etc. Ireland is not in the practice of talking to the media for any reason. But when it came to someone commenting on Jake Long, that drew him out immediately. And you know what? It happened again very recently. A beat writer made a suggestion in a BLOG that selecting Jon Martin may be in preparation for Jake Long's walking as a free agent. Again, the man who never wants to speak to the media, IMMEDIATELY comes out in front of the media and reads an opening statement declaring that this report is absolutely false and that he wants Jake Long to be a member of the Miami Dolphins forever. Again I have to say, considering he never wants to come out and speak to the media, the easiest thing in the world would be to let some off hand casual bit of speculation by a beat writer on a blog go uncommented. Easiest thing in the world. But no, it drew him like moth to a flame.

So yeah, go on and tell me I'm full of it if you like. But I'm about 95% sure that I'm correct on this one.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Sorry, CK, but if Parcells predicts sunshine, I'm packing my umbrella. This is little more than a self-serving attempt for him to salvage what little credibility and reputation he has through revisionist history. And typical of all the other **** that this normally closed-mouth ayehole has been spouting after the fact to put himself in a better light. Don't necessarily disagree with the Long pick, but either way, just ain't buyin' it!
    I don't see how it helped his reputation to essentially admit he may have made a mistake with the first and most important decision he made when taking over a new franchise. That's what he did.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -65
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's a good rundown on the incident I'm talking about.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ting-jake-long

Parcells mused toward Armando Salguero that "Maybe we should have" taken Matt Ryan over Jake Long, when the two were discussing his potential mistakes in Miami.

That predictably released a firestorm of headlines. But read what Parcells said to Tim Graham in response to the furor:

"You always wonder if you should've taken a quarterback," Parcells said when I called him Wednesday. "You always wonder about that. But I don't regret taking Jake Long. The guy has been in the Pro Bowl every season he's played. What else you want?"

"Perhaps Matt Ryan instead," I replied.

There was silence for a few seconds.

"Well," Parcells said, "I've seen him as well."
    Sounds to me like he's pretty regretful about the choice but knows he has to toe the line for his pal.
    Quote Quote  

6. -66
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Sounds to me like he's pretty regretful about the choice but knows he has to toe the line for his pal.
    I got the exact opposite out of that article.

I think when Parcells said "Absolutely....I do not regret taking Jake Long", it kind of seals the deal. You are reading way beyond Pacells' "maybe" and interpreting it as regret.
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I know someone personally in the media that has spoken to Parcells about this exact topic, in private, and yes the Ryan versus Long question kept him up at night. That is a simple fact. You're only quoting one side of the issue, the reasons Parcells ultimately was on board with Jake Long over Matt Ryan. But there's always another side to the argument, even with the same person. When Sean Payton left the Cowboys to become the Head Coach of the New Orleans Saints, and Parcells was giving Payton advice on how to establish himself, he told Payton the very first thing he should do is get his quarterback, if he's got the chance. That's why Payton jumped on Drew Brees even accepting the risk associated with his shoulder injury. So Parcells recognized both sides, that it's riskier to take the quarterback over the tackle, AND that the most important thing you need to do when you rebuild a franchise is to get your quarterback. That is why he was kept awake at night. And later, Parcells made big waves when he was asked a question about whether they made the wrong decision, and Parcells suggested that maybe they did. That made all kinds of headlines. Later, after Jeff Ireland felt the need to immediately come out of his cave and make a rare appearance to the media in order to specifically refute the suggestion by Parcells that they regret taking Jake Long over Matt Ryan, that is when Parcells issued a "clarification" of earlier comments. No doubt there was a peeved phone call from Ireland to Parcells somewhere in between the original statement and the clarification.

As for Jeff Ireland, when he selected Jake Long he said immediately that he had Jake as the #1 player on his draft board for over a year prior to that Draft. He specifically said the #1 overall player, not "I had him high" or anything like that. He was the #1 player on his board for over a year. Then, as I said, when Parcells suggested that maybe they did make a mistake choosing Long over Ryan, Jeff Ireland went out of his way to do a rare media appearance in order to reiterate that they have zero regret about taking Jake Long and will never ever have any regret about taking him. He talked about Long being a Pro Bowler every year he's been in the league, etc. Ireland is not in the practice of talking to the media for any reason. But when it came to someone commenting on Jake Long, that drew him out immediately. And you know what? It happened again very recently. A beat writer made a suggestion in a BLOG that selecting Jon Martin may be in preparation for Jake Long's walking as a free agent. Again, the man who never wants to speak to the media, IMMEDIATELY comes out in front of the media and reads an opening statement declaring that this report is absolutely false and that he wants Jake Long to be a member of the Miami Dolphins forever. Again I have to say, considering he never wants to come out and speak to the media, the easiest thing in the world would be to let some off hand casual bit of speculation by a beat writer on a blog go uncommented. Easiest thing in the world. But no, it drew him like moth to a flame.

So yeah, go on and tell me I'm full of it if you like. But I'm about 95% sure that I'm correct on this one.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

I don't see how it helped his reputation to essentially admit he may have made a mistake with the first and most important decision he made when taking over a new franchise. That's what he did.
    I dont disagree with anything you said here, but none of this shows Parcells regrest taking Long. It does sound like you are suggesting that Parcells knew to take a QB (as he told Sean Peyton), and Ireland overuled him because he had Long rated higher?? I'm not sure I'd believe that...
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pasadena California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Matt Ryan has the same amount of rings as Jake Long! 0 !
    Quote Quote  

9. -69
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Parcells actually lost sleep at night because he saw both sides of the argument, and he's expressed regret about the decision since leaving the Dolphins. Ireland lost no sleep, and has no regrets.
    So do you expect Ireland to throw his player, Jake ,under the bus and come and say he made a mistake drafting Jake?
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    I dont disagree with anything you said here, but none of this shows Parcells regrest taking Long. It does sound like you are suggesting that Parcells knew to take a QB (as he told Sean Peyton), and Ireland overuled him because he had Long rated higher?? I'm not sure I'd believe that...
    I'm not saying that at all. I think Parcells openly wondered whether he should take Ryan or Long, and that's why he's showing some pretty clear ambivalence when it comes to whether he does or does not regret that decision. He essentially confirmed both. I don't regret taking Jake Long, but I do regret not taking Matt Ryan. He essentially said both. He feels both.

But he had Jeff Ireland telling him Jake Long and he had Tony Sparano telling him Jake Long and he had his buddy Dan Henning saying Matt Ryan is no better than Chad Henne and I think that was a tipping point for Bill Parcells. I think Parcells absolutely does believe that when one is available the first thing you do is get that quarterback and that's why he told Sean Payton that. But the question was, is one available. I think Jeff Ireland and everyone else were all saying Jake Long, and I think Parcells gave in on it and agreed. He's not as much of a stone guy as people perceive. The same thing happened with him with the Cowboys with respect to Marcus Spears and DeMarcus Ware. He liked DeMarcus Ware...a lot. He reminded him of Lawrence Taylor. Jeff Ireland was reminded of Derrick Thomas. I believe Jerry Jones saw Charles Haley in him. But overall there have always been rumblings that Parcells wanted Spears first. Yet, because there was a consensus and because Parcells liked the guy, he was OK with DeMarcus Ware.

I'm not saying anyone got overruled. I'm not saying anyone got dragged into the decision. I'm saying Parcells lost sleep at night over the Ryan-Long question. I know that. I don't think Jeff Ireland did, at all. I don't think he liked the idea of taking Matt Ryan. That's it, that's all I'm saying. I'm not sleeping under anyone's bed and I don't have any microphones anywhere. I have some friends that have had some conversations, that's true. However with Ireland and Long, it's just REAL EASY to read those tea leaves because the guy has practically screamed it from a mountain top ever since the moment he took Long.
    Last edited by ckparrothead; 09-18-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Quote