Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My Two Cents on the Election

1. -81
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The mainstream is passionately in love with the president.
    Quote Quote  

2. -82
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would say the media definitely favors Obama for sure. At the same time Romney's gaffes are so bad even Biden is telling him to STFU.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

3. -83
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People repeat this "mainstream media love liberals/the President" line but where's the evidence? The biggest -- by far -- cable news newtork (Fox) is conservative. Of the top five newspapers in the country, two are "conservative" (New York Post and Wall Street Journal) and one is neutral (USA Today)*. Conservatives dominate talk radio. The two biggest news aggregator sites out there (Drudge and RealClearPolitics) both lean conservative, especially Drudge.

Liberals have their bastions (news magazines in particular) but this whole narrative has gotten completely out of control. It's repeated as dogma without a thought given to whether it's true.

Like anything else, news is a consumer driven industry. That's why Fox's success as a partisan outfit led MSNBC to adopt a stance as an opposite number. CNN has tried to stay neutral, with the result being their irrelevance. It's all driven by what people want. Businessmen trend conservative... hence the Wall Street Journal's conservative slant. News magazine readership trends college educated (meaning liberal), therefore most of the news magazines have a liberal slant. Conservatives listen to talk radio. Liberals podcast. It's neither complicated nor a conspiracy. It's just a handy talking point when a factual rebuttal to a conservative talking point is offered. Liberals have been slow to realize the effectiveness of this attack (since the media doesn't fight back), but Fox has now been widely discredited.

For the "mainstream media" to trend liberal would mean that liberals pay attention to the mainstream media more than others do. Is that something we all believe? I don't.

*Though as a side note, I don't grant that newspapers have a slant. People carelessly confuse editorial pages with the rest of the paper.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 09-27-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -84
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    People repeat this "mainstream media love liberals/the President" line but where's the evidence? The biggest -- by far -- cable news newtork (Fox) is conservative. Of the top five newspapers in the country, two are "conservative" (New York Post and Wall Street Journal) and one is neutral (USA Today)*. Conservatives dominate talk radio. The two biggest news aggregator sites out there (Drudge and RealClearPolitics) both lean conservative, especially Drudge.

Liberals have their bastions (news magazines in particular) but this whole narrative has gotten completely out of control. It's repeated as dogma without a thought given to whether it's true.

Like anything else, news is a consumer driven industry. That's why Fox's success as a partisan outfit led MSNBC to adopt a stance as an opposite number. CNN has tried to stay neutral, with the result being their irrelevance. It's all driven by what people want. Businessmen trend conservative... hence the Wall Street Journal's conservative slant. News magazine readership trends college educated (meaning liberal), therefore most of the news magazines have a liberal slant. Conservatives listen to talk radio. Liberals podcast. It's neither complicated nor a conspiracy. It's just a handy talking point when a factual rebuttal to a conservative talking point is offered. Liberals have been slow to realize the effectiveness of this attack (since the media doesn't fight back), but Fox has now been widely discredited.

For the "mainstream media" to trend liberal would mean that liberals pay attention to the mainstream media more than others do. Is that something we all believe. I certainly don't.

*Though as a side note, I don't grant that newspapers have a slant. People carelessly confuse editorial pages with the rest of the paper.
    I don't see it as the "liberal" media. Where was that liberal media in the build up to the Iraq war both times and Libya?? Not to mention the constant pushing of war with Iran and even Syria. I see the media as pushers and cheerleaders for the status quo. If it's wars, bailouts, and attacks on our liberties the media does a horrible job being objective and critical instead they carry the water. And it doesn't matter if it's a D or R.
    Quote Quote  

5. -85
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    0-16 you change the coach.
    Simple enough.
    I am tired of excuses and hearing how unions and poor people are going to make my life better.
    Romney at least has experience In creating profitable successful corporations.
    We need jobs and economic growth period.
    Obama has failed period. Next man in period.
    Blaiming Bush 4 years later does not cut it in my book.
    Grow up the govt is not gonna make you rich.
    Picking and choosing who gets the next hand out sucks if your not in the union.
    Just my opinions and if you do not agree then you must be stealing my taxes with handouts so screw you.
    Quote Quote  

6. -86
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthBeTold View Post
    0-16 you change the coach.
    Simple enough.
    I am tired of excuses and hearing how unions and poor people are going to make my life better.
    Romney at least has experience In creating profitable successful corporations.
    We need jobs and economic growth period.
    Obama has failed period. Next man in period.
    Blaiming Bush 4 years later does not cut it in my book.
    Grow up the govt is not gonna make you rich.
    Picking and choosing who gets the next hand out sucks if your not in the union.
    Just my opinions and if you do not agree then you must be stealing my taxes with handouts so screw you.
    How are we 0-16? In what way does our government resemble a football coaching staff? Who says unions and poor people are going to make your life better? How does Romney's experience in gutting companies for profit translate to creating jobs and economic growth? Who says the government is going to make anyone rich? Which handouts are you referring to? Why can't someone disagree with you without being someone who's stealing your taxes, and what handouts are they taking in doing so?
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

7. -87
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    How are we 0-16? In what way does our government resemble a football coaching staff? Who says unions and poor people are going to make your life better? How does Romney's experience in gutting companies for profit translate to creating jobs and economic growth? Who says the government is going to make anyone rich? Which handouts are you referring to? Why can't someone disagree with you without being someone who's stealing your taxes, and what handouts are they taking in doing so?
    6 trillion dollars further in debt with a $5000 loss in avg pay for people that work. That's failure. Tell me one thing that he has accomplished that does not involve wasted tax payer money we have to payback with increased taxes? The president sets the agenda because he is the chief executive. Remember Hope and Change.

Exactly let's not spend all of our efforts strictly on unions and poor people. What has this president done to create jobs other than waste tax payer money on failed playoffs to his cronies? Example Solyndra and all the other failed subsidized alternative energy companies. Shell companies to extort our tax payer money out the back door in political donations. Money does not just get handed over for nothing. Money always lands where it does for a reason.

How does four years of failure at creating jobs equate to another four year term? We need to get people back to work or we will never be able o get out of this recession. Sorry but this president does not have any clue on real job creation. Face it he never created one before so how would he know now. Romney created a real profit making company and created jobs. Obviously you have no job creating experience either or you would understand what Romney's company was created to do. Thes companies were financially stressed and going out of business because of poor management and exorbitant union wages. He fixed and so they could compete and survive in the market place. He created way more jobs than he eliminated. Look it up.

Obama wants to spread the wealth that he had no involvement with creating. He wants the government to control our destiny. Healthcare s just he beginning. Anyone comfortable with government determining what you get for healthcare is a fool. DMV and Post Office is what you can expect for results for your healthcare too. Oh yeah and it will be all union employees for the govt healthcare as well. Maybe cutting services in healthcare will be there solution like they are doing in the Postal Service because there costs are to high. Absolute lose lose situation.

Again unions for government employees? Really why are government employees in need of unions? The government should be the safest employer you can work for as an employee. Politicians from the Democrats with unions are ripping off the american tax payers with their I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. Our taxes are being ripped off. Pensions and salaries that are exorbitant are driving our debt even higher. There is so much waste in government it is ridiculous. Maybe Romney the distressed fixer can help clean this up? I know Obama isn't goin to since he has wasted 6 trillion in only 4 years won't.

I get sick of hearing the liberals whine about conservatives who actually get the work done in this country. If the govt wasn't a monopoly it would fail fiscally hence why they are always whining about more taxes. How about all these clowns in govt actually pay their taxes. Timmy (the tax cheat Gietner), Charley (head of the.IRS over site committee) Rangel. We would all be put in jail and they id not even lose their jobs.
    Last edited by TruthBeTold; 10-02-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -88
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthBeTold View Post
    How does four years of failure at creating jobs equate to another four year term?
    The same way even a mediocre boxer can beat up a cripple. Elections are not merely referendums on this or that candidate, even though that's the way opposing campaigns always want to make it. The voters who decide elections view it as an actual choice, and Romney has been simply miserable at making the case that he's anything but an empty vessel for anti-Obamaism. Like Awsi said, it's not enough. Among other things, every gaffe like the 47% comment serve to negatively fill in huge swathes of deliberately vague space because there's not enough substance behind the campaign to combat it.

It really must make you crazy to see the polls and read the projections and know Obama is going to win. I'm fortunate in that I grew up in a Republican family so I don't reflexively demonize the other side but your post reads like you've never had a substantive discussion about politics with a liberal you respect. As in ever. The fact that this country is about to fairly well resoundingly reelect the president must utterly baffle you.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 10-02-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -89
    Make It Rain!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People repeat this "mainstream media love liberals/the President" line but where's the evidence?

Here's an interesting article.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...-american-peop

It changed—an important point in the Dukakis-Bush election, when the press literally was trying to get Dukakis elected by ignoring what was happening in Massachusetts, with a candidate who was running on the platform of “He will do for America what he did for Massachusetts”—while they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

Pat Caddell a self proclaimed liberal even acknowledges the exact turning point in which the media started to cover up for Democrats and the overall media became partisan. Don't believe me. Check out some of these vids. See if you don't agree. It's fairly evident the impact media has had on average voters concerning what they do and don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXot...eature=related

I wonder where these potential voters get these ideas? Here's another example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8&

It's pretty obvious where the misinformation is coming from and which way it leans.

If Obama gets re-elected it will only be because a large part of our populous is not thinking critically, and is too easily influenced by a media that is more concerned with infotainment and protecting their progressive interests than reporting the facts. Unfortunately such an outcome wouldn't baffle me so much as be majorly disappointing.

A better analogy would be that the Democrats are represented by the Seahawks with an arguably inferior quarterback with Wilson (substituting for Obama), and the Packers have a superior quarterback in Rodgers (representing Romney). The two struggle to come out on top, but unfortunately the replacement refs (representing the media) heavily influence the outcome. You know the rest. I can only hope that this time everyone is able to make the right call.
    Quote Quote  

10. -90
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post

Here's an interesting article.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...-american-peop

It changed—an important point in the Dukakis-Bush election, when the press literally was trying to get Dukakis elected by ignoring what was happening in Massachusetts, with a candidate who was running on the platform of “He will do for America what he did for Massachusetts”—while they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

Pat Caddell a self proclaimed liberal even acknowledges the exact turning point in which the media started to cover up for Democrats and the overall media became partisan. Don't believe me. Check out some of these vids. See if you don't agree. It's fairly evident the impact media has had on average voters concerning what they do and don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXot...eature=related

I wonder where these potential voters get these ideas? Here's another example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8&

It's pretty obvious where the misinformation is coming from and which way it leans.

If Obama gets re-elected it will only be because a large part of our populous is not thinking critically, and is too easily influenced by a media that is more concerned with infotainment and protecting their progressive interests than reporting the facts. Unfortunately such an outcome wouldn't baffle me so much as be majorly disappointing.

A better analogy would be that the Democrats are represented by the Seahawks with an arguably inferior quarterback with Wilson (substituting for Obama), and the Packers have a superior quarterback in Rodgers (representing Romney). The two struggle to come out on top, but unfortunately the replacement refs (representing the media) heavily influence the outcome. You know the rest. I can only hope that this time everyone is able to make the right call.
    There's so much projection going on in your posts it's comical. I listen to Hannity going home from work almost every day (he gives me a good laugh) and you're basically parroting everything this guy says. So, you talking about the population voting for Obama because of media influence is quite hysterical.
    Quote Quote