Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My Two Cents on the Election

1. -91
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What cracks me up about Hannity, Rush, & other right wing talking heads is that they consistently brag about their ratings being so good. They don't hide the fact that soooooo many people watch Fox News and listen to their radio programs. They also consistently rip on MSNBC/CNN in regards to their horrible ratings. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Hannity say that no one watches MSNBC. But when it comes to media influence they play the victim card. How can you simultaneously brag about how so many people tune in to the various conservative media outlets, and also complain about how much the "left wing media" influences American politics.
    Quote Quote  

2. -92
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer

Re: My Two Cents on the Election

For those that want to suggest that our healthcare is completely independent either use cash pay or never go to the doctor. Right now if you have an insurance company they dictate what medicines you get.

Not to mention the aca is not a govt takeover. The only truly government run healthcare system is the VA. Guess what i had a lot easier time getting expensive meds for my vets in the va than i do for the folks i see in the private world.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

3. -93
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: My Two Cents on the Election

Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    What cracks me up about Hannity, Rush, & other right wing talking heads is that they consistently brag about their ratings being so good. They don't hide the fact that soooooo many people watch Fox News and listen to their radio programs. They also consistently rip on MSNBC/CNN in regards to their horrible ratings. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Hannity say that no one watches MSNBC. But when it comes to media influence they play the victim card. How can you simultaneously brag about how so many people tune in to the various conservative media outlets, and also complain about how much the "left wing media" influences American politics.
    What you have to look at is how many liberal media outlets there are versus Fox News and talk radio in addition to the Hollywood liberal bias. Flip through the channels on your tv and just listen to the various programs like the View, talk shows, anything Oprah, and anything geared toward young people and tell me that there isn't a huge slant toward liberalism. People are thoroughly inundated with liberalism at every turn unless they actively seek a conservative alternative. Conservative (Traditional American) ideology gets very little support and seldom even a fair shake by the entirety of the mainstream media. Its all about Obama worship. Kind of makes me sick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

4. -94
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post

Here's an interesting article.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...-american-peop

It changed—an important point in the Dukakis-Bush election, when the press literally was trying to get Dukakis elected by ignoring what was happening in Massachusetts, with a candidate who was running on the platform of “He will do for America what he did for Massachusetts”—while they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

Pat Caddell a self proclaimed liberal even acknowledges the exact turning point in which the media started to cover up for Democrats and the overall media became partisan. Don't believe me. Check out some of these vids. See if you don't agree. It's fairly evident the impact media has had on average voters concerning what they do and don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXot...eature=related

I wonder where these potential voters get these ideas? Here's another example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8&

It's pretty obvious where the misinformation is coming from and which way it leans.

If Obama gets re-elected it will only be because a large part of our populous is not thinking critically, and is too easily influenced by a media that is more concerned with infotainment and protecting their progressive interests than reporting the facts. Unfortunately such an outcome wouldn't baffle me so much as be majorly disappointing.

A better analogy would be that the Democrats are represented by the Seahawks with an arguably inferior quarterback with Wilson (substituting for Obama), and the Packers have a superior quarterback in Rodgers (representing Romney). The two struggle to come out on top, but unfortunately the replacement refs (representing the media) heavily influence the outcome. You know the rest. I can only hope that this time everyone is able to make the right call.
    Pat Caddell's opinion is not proof. Nor is "it's pretty obvious" a convincing argument of any kind. I do find it amusing however that you think an "anti-liberal bias" Web site is a good place to get the objective truth about the media.

"Liberal media bias" violates the common sense of supply and demand. Unless conservatives don't care about information on current events -- or it can be argued they care less than liberals do about the bias of their media outlets -- they're getting their information from conservative sources. Demand inevitably creates supply.
    Quote Quote  

5. -95
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    What you have to look at is how many liberal media outlets there are versus Fox News and talk radio in addition to the Hollywood liberal bias. Flip through the channels on your tv and just listen to the various programs like the View, talk shows, anything Oprah, and anything geared toward young people and tell me that there isn't a huge slant toward liberalism. People are thoroughly inundated with liberalism at every turn unless they actively seek a conservative alternative. Conservative (Traditional American) ideology gets very little support and seldom even a fair shake by the entirety of the mainstream media. Its all about Obama worship. Kind of makes me sick.
    Watch a lot of Oprah and The View, do we?

First off, those shows are entertainment. Comparing them or Brad Pitt prattling on about his electric car with Leno to 60 Minutes is silly. Secondly, those shows are geared toward women, who on average are more liberal than males. Same with young people, who also trend liberal.

Supply and demand. Have fun arguing against it.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 10-02-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -96
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Watch a lot of Oprah and The View, do we?

First off, those shows are entertainment. Comparing them or Brad Pitt prattling on about his electric car with Leno to 60 Minutes is silly. Secondly, those shows are geared toward women, who on average are more liberal than males. Same with young people, who also trend liberal.

Supply and demand. Have fun arguing against it.
    It's really quite obvious when you consider it, yet no one catches on. One of the most depressing things about the U.S. these days is how easily people take what is told to them at face value. It's almost as if they believe no one would ever lie to, or even mislead, them. It's similar to how a child thinks their parents are always right, no matter what they are told. I wish people sat down and thought critically more often. Being smarter is never going to be a bad thing...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -97
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    It's really quite obvious when you consider it, yet no one catches on. One of the most depressing things about the U.S. these days is how easily people take what is told to them at face value. It's almost as if they believe no one would ever lie to, or even mislead, them. It's similar to how a child thinks their parents are always right, no matter what they are told. I wish people sat down and thought critically more often. Being smarter is never going to be a bad thing...
    A while ago i threw up a thread about how misleading Fox News is when it comes to reports of global warning, how they pass off personal opinion as scientific fact(or how they lie outright). They deceived the audience in something like 91% of their reports on the subject. At the time, while i found it shameful, i mostly rolled my eyes and moved on. Since then, i have sat down and discussed the subject with people who identify themselves as conservatives. I didnt much mind that they disagreed with my but the discussions almost always ended with "well, you can believe those facts if you want, but im going to go with these other facts".

For a party that bemoans how the left politicize everything, they sure have made subjects that have been scientifically verified as political poisonous as possible. Then again, scientists are usually filthy commie liberals. If we cant gather facts to disagree with what they are saying, we must attack who they are and what they do!

Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 2
    Quote Quote  

8. -98
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've personally never understood how or why climate change became a political issue. There wasn't some big party line struggle over whether smoking causes cancer, yet a planetary version of the same thing becomes a decades long Democrat vs. Republican fight? Bizarre.
    Quote Quote  

9. -99
    Make It Rain!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What's really funny is how the term "climate change" used to be characterized as "global warming," but due to a series of bitter winter storms on the east coast, it was hard to convince people greenhouse gases were warming our planet. Well "global warming" just won't due in explaining this crisis right? "Climate change" is just such a vague term that it is almost laughable. Guess what, it is called the change in seasons. Beyond that our planet does go through extreme weather changes over time. I am sure many of you have heard of the "Ice Age". So pollution may obviously have harmful effects on our environment, but the weather is the last thing I am worried about.
    Quote Quote  

10. -100
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post
    What's really funny is how the term "climate change" used to be characterized as "global warming," but due to a series of bitter winter storms on the east coast, it was hard to convince people greenhouse gases were warming our planet. Well "global warming" just won't due in explaining this crisis right? "Climate change" is just such a vague term that it is almost laughable. Guess what, it is called the change in seasons. Beyond that our planet does go through extreme weather changes over time. I am sure many of you have heard of the "Ice Age". So pollution may obviously have harmful effects on our environment, but the weather is the last thing I am worried about.
    The researchers found that Fox News and the Journal were consistently dismissive of the established scientific consensus that climate change is happening and that human activities are the main driver. For example, a statement aired on a primetime Fox News show on April 11 says, "I thought we were getting warmer. But in the '70s, it was, look out, we're all going to freeze."

The statement refers to some research in the 1970s that suggested a cooling trend, exacerbated by pollutants called aerosols (also known as smog). However, a greater number of papers, which represented consensus in the science community, in the 1970s predicted warming, according to Skeptical Science, a climate change communication website maintained by University of Queensland physicist John Cook. Temperature records have since improved, revealing the cooling trend was confined to northern landmasses.

The most common climate mistakes on Fox News involved misleading statements on basic climate science, or simple undermining and disparaging of the field of climate science. For example, on March 23, one on-air personality referred to global warming as a "hoax and fraud."
    http://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-clima...193433943.html

I appreciate you making a visual example of the point i was making. Many thanks.
    Quote Quote