Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of the playing not to lose mentality..

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Austin, Tx and Bali, Indo
    Thanks / No Thanks

Tired of the playing not to lose mentality..

I know after week one someone posted about the Dolphins not trying to move the ball at the end of the first half and I agreed with them (although never responded). Some people came to the defense of the coaching in saying it was good/safe.

We have seen this mentality since Camron, look at the polar opposite in Tampa with those guys not even letting up in the closing seconds of a loss while on defense. We can agree or disagree that that may be extreme but I'd rather fault to that end than constantly sending the message that it's not always important to play 60 minutes.

Now to yesterday, the Dolphins had the ball with almost 2 minutes remaining in the first half and although didn't take a knee the went obviously conservative. One might think at this point that being they moved the ball well enough to get into field goal range at the end of the forth they could of moved it just as well at the end of the second and could of gotten another chance at a field goal. Or if nothing else they could of gotten some looks at the Jets defense in that two minute mode that could of helped their play calling in the final two minutes of the forth.

I'm sick of the cliche stuff like "play 60 minutes" or "give 110% effort" when the Dolphins at the core still don't have that. Let Tannehill play, let him make mistakes and learn.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    agreed 100%. i remember in the 90's they would give marino the green light and we had games where we would win by 20+. what a great feeling. now its like every game this decade is decided by a field goal at the end. wanny, cam, sporano all conservative all got us ****. i was hoping philbin was going to be different.. i know its early and we need to give him a chance but cmon. they should have smoked the jets yesterday.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    THE FUTURE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Hate to tell you man, but we've been like that since marino retired. When you play like not to lose, most of the time thats what you do. You can't sit back, run the ball, burn clock and expect your defense to pull it out every game. As bad as our secondary is, the defense keeps us in every game. we need to score more than 20 a game, its that simple. I understand they want to bring tannehill along slow but whats was the excuse for the 95 quarterbacks before him?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Playing not to win? Yes, thats why in OT instead of chipping our way further down the field after the big Hartline reception we threw two bombs in attempt for a TD.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    League Dominator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Pete Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't really "play to win" when we have a minimal amount of talent on offense. Nobody was getting any seperation out there yesterday from their DB's from what I saw.
    Jets suck, Bills suck, Patriots suck.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree... I kept thinking to myself not another coach with play not to lose metality.. Its like playing scared and the whole team goes flat. You lose momentim...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    and on that second attempted TD throw, Hartline actually had a step and room to fit it in there and Tannehill missed. The play was there to be made.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As mentioned above, it seems silly to accuse the coaching staff of not playing to win since they did just that at the end of regulation when it really mattered (as opposed to the end of the first half).
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Austin, Tx and Bali, Indo
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtiv View Post
    and on that second attempted TD throw, Hartline actually had a step and room to fit it in there and Tannehill missed. The play was there to be made.
    Absolutely. I think and I'm sure many agree Tannehill has the tool to be our starter and we can feel positive he will develop into a high quality QB. I mean as goofy-rednecked as he looks at times on the field he is a pretty smart guy. But he needs to see the situations and live the speed of the game. If this far we let two "opportunities" pass for him to work on the two minute drill how is that helping him develop?
    Last edited by dabeastdabone; 09-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    I saw you guys being aggressive most of the day whether you were backed up deep in your territory or whether late in the game needing a FG to tie.
    Quote Quote