Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Cannabis & Coffee Aide Brain in Aging

  1. -11
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,197
    vCash:
    6704
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by overworkedirish View Post
    You use Youtube videos and, wait for it... JOE ROGAN to make your points for you. All over this forum. I'm all about social media, but far too often do I see people become dependent on others' opinions. Shape your own. I don't care if they're different than mine, at least you could speak intelligently on something. When was the last time you got stoned and read a book? A real book, to learn and better yourself. If the answer is within the last week, then I recant what I said.
    You mean the mind-numbed Cheeto-loving Joe Rogan? Or the lazy Carl Sagan? That's my point, nowhere else do you see such vapid generalizations other than with cannabis use.

    I'm alternating between 3 books right now I'm reading for leisure, separate from my Universities studies. Ram Dass' 'Be Here Now', Alan Watts 'The Book On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are', & Christmas Humphreys book on Zen Buddhism.

    So I'd ask you kindly to take your 1950's preconceived notions and re-examine them. Oh, and youtube is awesome.

    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,197
    vCash:
    6704
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    "Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see" – Thomas Jefferson

    Damn stoner founding-fathers.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    overworkedirish's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    966
    vCash:
    3660
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    You mean the mind-numbed Cheeto-loving Joe Rogan? Or the lazy Carl Sagan? That's my point, nowhere else do you see such vapid generalizations other than with cannabis use.
    Referencing the success of individuals as a selling point for a drug will get you far - if you're trying to sell - oh ANY drug on the planet. Yes successful people will do drugs. No, the drugs have nothing to do with their success. HOWEVER, I have first-hand witnessed potential wasted on kids who just get high all the time. Weed is actively limiting them. Weed's not necessarily "the bad guy," but just like friends, it can be a bad influence on certain people and personalities.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I'm alternating between 3 books right now I'm reading for leisure, separate from my Universities studies. Ram Dass' 'Be Here Now', Alan Watts 'The Book On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are', & Christmas Humphreys book on Zen Buddhism.
    So as I said, I recant my statement towards YOU to "grow up." That doesn't change how I feel about the drug.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    So I'd ask you kindly to take your 1950's preconceived notions and re-examine them.
    Hahahaha, God, man, if you knew me you'd be laughing your ass off at what you just said. Look I don't pretend to know you, so do me a favor and don't pretend to know me or my life-story.

    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    overworkedirish's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    966
    vCash:
    3660
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    "Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see" – Thomas Jefferson

    Damn stoner founding-fathers.
    Damn slave-owning founding fathers.

    Different time. What weed meant and signified to Thomas Jefferson and what it means and signifies to that 13-year-old smoking up behind his high school to 'look cool' is a world of difference. And I guarantee you that Jefferson would be against that. The fact that he and the 13-year-old share the same chemical reaction in their brain is irrelevant.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    11,660
    vCash:
    4959
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Moderation. Anything you do that isn't in moderation can be bad or addictive. That can be any drugs legal or illegal, I believe there are uses for marijuana that can positively benefit certain conditions. In terms of whether it is legal or not just from the sheer numbers of dollars the US spends to fight it making it legal would help ease one aspect of the war on drugs. Refined drugs such as coke, meth, crack are simply to addictive and destructive to let legalization occur but you will never stop the flow, it is an endless battle.

    Caffeine is bad in high doses, it causes all kinds of problems. Moderation. Alcohol, regulate it all you want still won't stop people from drinking it so teach moderation. Regulation of any substance creates a certain set of social paradigms that lead you down a road that has no end. The key is moderation, teach people and they learn why they shouldn't, tell people they shouldn't and they want it. It is no different than the learned reaction of a 2 year old.

    Regulation doesn't teach why it restricts why, restriction leads to less freedom, "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
    Peace and Humptiness Forever


    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,197
    vCash:
    6704
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by overworkedirish View Post
    Referencing the success of individuals as a selling point for a drug will get you far - if you're trying to sell - oh ANY drug on the planet. Yes successful people will do drugs. No, the drugs have nothing to do with their success. HOWEVER, I have first-hand witnessed potential wasted on kids who just get high all the time. Weed is actively limiting them. Weed's not necessarily "the bad guy," but just like friends, it can be a bad influence on certain people and personalities.
    Those people suck, & they'd suck whether or not they smoked. To quote our pal Joe Rogan, "if it wasn't marijuana who got to that guy first it'd be Cheeseburgers and scratch off tickets", people who use it as a scape-goat are weak. So ease up on the generalizations based off limited anecdotal observations.

    So as I said, I recant my statement towards YOU to "grow up." That doesn't change how I feel about the drug.


    Hahahaha, God, man, if you knew me you'd be laughing your ass off at what you just said. Look I don't pretend to know you, so do me a favor and don't pretend to know me or my life-story.
    Don't assume then that people are void of the capability to engage in intellectual activities solely based off a personal habit which affects many different people in different ways. For me, I don't smoke to get "silly" or "far out man", or whatever Tommy Chong/Big Lebowski notions you have of people who smoke. It makes me more patient, it makes me more empathetic, it makes me more sensitive towards my fellow man, and it generally relaxes me. I have a pretty high tolerance, I don't get "rookie-baked" anymore. I find people might have tried cannabis a few times, and then come away with the impression that it's a super debilitating substance, well that might be true, but only for about the first 10 times you smoke it.

    Speaking of, I'm gonna go smoke a bowl.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,197
    vCash:
    6704
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by overworkedirish View Post
    Damn slave-owning founding fathers.

    Different time. What weed meant and signified to Thomas Jefferson and what it means and signifies to that 13-year-old smoking up behind his high school to 'look cool' is a world of difference. And I guarantee you that Jefferson would be against that. The fact that he and the 13-year-old share the same chemical reaction in their brain is irrelevant.
    I'm also not for 13 year old's smoking so I'm not sure where we're disagreeing here. Don't make it illegal for me though just because 13 year old's shouldn't smoke. "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it"- Mark Twain.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    overworkedirish's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    966
    vCash:
    3660
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You've made your point. I just don't agree with it. The reason I originally opposed your OP is because it's the incessant "Hey! Weed's the ****! EVERYBODY!!! WEED COULD BE GOOD FOR YOU!" attitude that I don't appreciate. The constant posting about the benefits of weed - It seems like 'the lady doth protest too much' syndrome - akin to Kyle on South Park constantly justifying Crack Baby Basketball.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    11,660
    vCash:
    4959
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by overworkedirish View Post
    You've made your point. I just don't agree with it. The reason I originally opposed your OP is because it's the incessant "Hey! Weed's the ****! EVERYBODY!!! WEED COULD BE GOOD FOR YOU!" attitude that I don't appreciate. The constant posting about the benefits of weed - It seems like 'the lady doth protest too much' syndrome - akin to Kyle on South Park constantly justifying Crack Baby Basketball.
    Crack babies need love too! This episode was priceless.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,197
    vCash:
    6704
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by overworkedirish View Post
    You've made your point. I just don't agree with it. The reason I originally opposed your OP is because it's the incessant "Hey! Weed's the ****! EVERYBODY!!! WEED COULD BE GOOD FOR YOU!" attitude that I don't appreciate. The constant posting about the benefits of weed - It seems like 'the lady doth protest too much' syndrome - akin to Kyle on South Park constantly justifying Crack Baby Basketball.
    It's illegality is what produces the messianic effect. It not only blows my mind but I'm sure many others' that a substance so helpful could be rendered illegal & human-beings can be locked in cages over it. When Daniel Tosh says "I wish pot was legal just so potheads would have nothing to talk about", he makes a very salient point.

    Btw, I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head, nor am I perpetuating any faulty information. Cannabis does indeed seem to help the brain in aging. There's evidence it delays or fights the onset of certain conditions that come with aging such as Dementia and Alzheimer's. So, weed could in fact be good for you.

    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Harvard Creates Brain-to-Brain Interface
    By rob19 in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 01:35 AM
  2. Uruguay Legalizes Cannabis
    By rob19 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 01:04 PM
  3. Cannabis Fights Cancer
    By rob19 in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 05:10 AM
  4. Are the Marlins now a Cannabis Club?
    By CedarPhin in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
  5. Save The Planet, With Cannabis
    By Phinz420 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 05:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •