Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFLRA & NFL close to deal, refs could be on field as early as this weekend

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    The refs asking for a pension is a flat-out JOKE. What kind of successful business do you know just pisses away money?

These refs work PART-TIME and want a pension. A pension that THEY DON'T HAVE TO CONTRIBUTE TO.

Name a company that offers that for even FULL-TIME employee.

Yeah...I'll wait.
    Delta Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, American Airlines(for now) all offer several defined pension plans, and I'm sure you would consider our schedule part time because I average 15.5 days off in a normal month and in a vacation week run into a month off.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    NFL should look into creating a school for officials. Baseball has a school for umpire. Rigorous courses. Vision tests ever so often, etc.

NFL could benefit greatly from this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info..._to_become.jsp

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    Delta Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, American Airlines(for now) all offer several defined pension plans, and I'm sure you would consider our schedule part time because I average 15.5 days off in a normal month and in a vacation week run into a month off.
    Do you have to contribute to this pension plan?

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    NFL should look into creating a school for officials. Baseball has a school for umpire. Rigorous courses. Vision tests ever so often, etc.

NFL could benefit greatly from this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info..._to_become.jsp

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Do you have to contribute to this pension plan?
    Every plan is different at every airline, they are specific to the cba, and labor group. The company contributes and you can match at my airline that is for both 401k and defined pension plan.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I think the replacement refs helped the Fins actually. lol.
    Yep, that is my take also. Several calls in Jet game went our way.
    Eventually the odds will turn and we'll get a bad call against us though.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Look at that link you provided and the pipeline to become a mlb umpire you make it through that you should be compensated handsomely! Same with the NFL the scabs have proven not every one can be a NFL ref! I had a retired NFL ref working as a replay official on my plane the last week of the preseason. He came up to chat during a delay, I noticed some sort of championship ring on him so I ask. It was from officiating the Pats, Rams Superbowl. Guess my look said it all because he quickly pointed out the replay refs are under a separate contact. So I picked his brain, trust me it isn't part time work and these guys make huge sacrifices to become a NFL ref!

The problem is the new generation of management that is driven by their bonuses have a mentality to fight their employee groups and paint them as villains in the process
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins1971 View Post
    Yep, that is my take also. Several calls in Jet game went our way.
    Eventually the odds will turn and we'll get a bad call against us though.
    I will never forgive Gene Steratore.

I always thought Bob Kraft got away with things whenever we played the Pats. We never got any calls vs. the Pats.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Every plan is different at every airline, they are specific to the cba, and labor group. The company contributes and you can match at my airline that is for both 401k and defined pension plan.
    So you do have to contribute to the pension then.

I'm not saying that what the officials do doesn't take a lot of hard work and preparation. It's a thankless job as well. Not once has a game been played and the officials been commended by either fan base for a job well done. It's not easy to be an official. However, the guys who are holding out right now are NOT the only guys in the world who can do that job. Others can learn and hone their skills to become an official. It's certainly possible. Right now these replacement officials are in over their head. It would be like you flying a remote controlled model airplane and then being asked to land an actual 747 lol. You need some tune up time.

A pension for these guys is just plan crazy. I wouldn't be so opposed to the pension idea if they had to contribute to the pension but they're just strong arming the NFL. And I can't say I blame them. I've always said that one man is only worth what another man is willing to pay for him. So if the NFL is willing to give them everything they ask for, then obviously the NFL feels that these guys are worth it. Personally, I wouldn't give it to them pero the negotiating tactics of the officials is on point.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Aren't these gaurenteed pensions bankrupting the Airlines, the car companies, state governments. Paying people a salary every year even after they retire. Never understood that one...
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Honestly I feel bad for the replacement referees. It must be embarrassing to come home to your family knowing so many people just straight up hate what you're doing. It's really not their fault, they shouldn't be here to begin with if the NFL just paid up.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTY View Post
    Aren't these gaurenteed pensions bankrupting the Airlines, the car companies, state governments. Paying people a salary every year even after they retire. Never understood that one...
    Yeap lol. Noticed Southwest wasn't on that list.

BAGS FLY FREE!
    Quote Quote