Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Extend Jeff Ireland...

1. -141
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami Gardens
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Zzzzz....
    Quote Quote  

2. -142
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinegrabber View Post
    I can name three draft picks from this year that havent seen the field in any shape or form.
    because all draft picks start right away, right?
    Quote Quote  

3. -143
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    I'd like to again thank Ireland for NOT obtaining Alex Smith OR Matt Flynn. He should be extended for that fact alone!
    Well he really wanted Alex Smith, but Alex was playing him so they could offer more money and increase San Fran's offer (and I think he was a little pissed that they were seeking Peyton Manning services . . . which looks genius to everybody who atleast tried). Thank goodness.

Flynn, I think Joe Philbin knew what he was and they lowballed him just an insurance policy because he knew the system.

You can't extend Jeff Ireland on 2 moves that literally didn't require much from him at all. Why not look at the history of this guy and see the many busts he has had and read up on other "personnel guys" that could be available to us this offseason before settling for Ireland because a couple picks have flashed. I think he is in charge of the draft next year . . . but I need to see much more before he gets my endorsement for resigning him to an extension.
    Quote Quote  

4. -144
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    For all those who nitpick some of our later round picks not seeing the field... when your done, list me the teams, in any order you wish, who have.all theyre draft picks contributing
    Quote Quote  

5. -145
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Has Jeff Ireland been perfect or the best GM? No. But does that mean we should just get rid of him? Parcells is the real enemy. No one seems to blame him because of his petigree. But it was parcels who drafted jake long over john beck, drafted pat white, and passed on Hakeem nicks and Kenny britt for Vontae Davis. It was parcels who hired an incompentant coach in sparano to be his puppet. I don't think henne was a bust, I think sparano ruined him. We have our long term coach, philbin is a winner. Give Jeff some time. We could be in Jacksonville or KCs position, but we are not.
    Quote Quote  

6. -146

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Quad Fin View Post
    Has Jeff Ireland been perfect or the best GM? No. But does that mean we should just get rid of him? Parcells is the real enemy. No one seems to blame him because of his petigree. But it was parcels who drafted jake long over john beck, drafted pat white, and passed on Hakeem nicks and Kenny britt for Vontae Davis. It was parcels who hired an incompentant coach in sparano to be his puppet. I don't think henne was a bust, I think sparano ruined him. We have our long term coach, philbin is a winner. Give Jeff some time. We could be in Jacksonville or KCs position, but we are not.
    I don't like when people dismiss Jeff Ireland for decisions made in 2008 and 2009. Sure Bill Parcells was here but so was Jeff Ireland and absent Bill Parcells the guy STILL stuck with Sparano for 2 years. Hell I guess we can't credit Jeff with anything to do with the Dolphins only playoff run in 13 years back in 2008 . . .Jeff Ireland doesn't know what a winning season is. He is not absent from those years . . . so Jeff has had time. Hey we have 10 games left and a 3-3 record . . . Jeff Ireland IMO hasn't earned an extension and should have been cut along with Sparano and everybody else . . . that being said, he's here now and we have a coach and staff that seems to be getting the best out of their players so let's finish the season and see where that leaves us. Sure we could be Jville or KC, but we could be Green Bay or Atlanta or San Fran as well . . . I'm tired of settling for mediocrity and Jeff Ireland has been a medicore GM . . . perhaps even lower in his tenure. Now people make comebacks and we've given him every opportunity to do that, let's see where that leaves us at the end of the year.

With a draft coming up where we need skill positions and with Jeff's track record of not acquiring an appropriate amount of quality skill positions . . . Miami would be foolish to settle with him without atleast seeing who else is available . . . that said I think Philbin has more control than is being let on, especially in regards to the offense, so with him doing that and Jeff's capabilities with the front 7 and Coyle potentially giving advice on secondary guys . . . maybe this is the team that "sticks" and gets it right.

Still it's extremely foolish to extend this guy at this moment and that is why this thread is silly. We are 3-3 coming off of 3 straight sub .500 seasons and everybody has been fired except him . . . that sure doesn't sound like a ringing endoresement for an extension.
    Quote Quote  

7. -147
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    Well he really wanted Alex Smith, but Alex was playing him so they could offer more money and increase San Fran's offer (and I think he was a little pissed that they were seeking Peyton Manning services . . . which looks genius to everybody who atleast tried). Thank goodness.

Flynn, I think Joe Philbin knew what he was and they lowballed him just an insurance policy because he knew the system.

You can't extend Jeff Ireland on 2 moves that literally didn't require much from him at all. Why not look at the history of this guy and see the many busts he has had and read up on other "personnel guys" that could be available to us this offseason before settling for Ireland because a couple picks have flashed. I think he is in charge of the draft next year . . . but I need to see much more before he gets my endorsement for resigning him to an extension.
    I think that we don't know anything at all. I think that what we do know is that Jeff Ireland lowballed both Flynn and Alex Smith, presumably (IMO) to appease the fan base, knowing that they wouldn't accept. I think (and i have no basis for this) that for him, it was either RG3 or Tannehill. Honestly, I think his preference was for RG3 (baylor connection) but he wasn't willing to give up the picks Washington did.
    Quote Quote  

8. -148
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Extend Jeff Ireland...

Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    People will argue that it wasnt a draft pick an doesnt count, which is a BS argument imo. How many other GMs are scounting the Canadian league? Not many.
    Oh I thought the argument was 32 other teams could have had Cam Wake but HE chose Miami.
    Andrew Luck VS New England

0-3 with 6 TD's and 8 picks. Not sure "Suck for Luck" helps in our division. Maybe we stop the "meaningless wins" talk.
    Quote Quote  

9. -149

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think that we don't know anything at all. I think that what we do know is that Jeff Ireland lowballed both Flynn and Alex Smith, presumably (IMO) to appease the fan base, knowing that they wouldn't accept. I think (and i have no basis for this) that for him, it was either RG3 or Tannehill. Honestly, I think his preference was for RG3 (baylor connection) but he wasn't willing to give up the picks Washington did.
    You are right, we don't know nothing. All we know is the Dolphins have finished below .500 the past 3 seasons and are currently .500 now. Not exactly roaring stuff their for an extension . . . sounds more like the seat cooling a little but keep hoping the Dolphins keep winning games.
    Quote Quote  

10. -150
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we can go toe to toe with anyone in the league in the trenches. Meaning we can beat any of those teams on any given sunday.

What is our record when NOT starting a qb named Chad Henne? Pennington's 11-5, plus Matt Moore's 6-3...17-8? The problem was Chad Henne. We have a legit nucleus to build off of and NOW we have a promising QB who has IT...and IT can't be coached.
    Henne sucked, but so did the supporting casts he played with. Our 2007 run with Pennington suprised everyone. It was not the result of a front office fielding a good squad. Same with Moore. In fact, the team looked so promising, that we sent Moore packing when we could have kept that team together. We did that because we knew that same team would almost certainly not be 6-3 after 9 games this year. I can't argue with the raw numbers of the team sans Henne, but if you ignore the QB position, do you really think the rest of our roster was 17-8 good. We had no elite players at any position. Teams like that don't win consistently without top QB play.

If Henne was so blatantly terrible that he alone held a perennial division winner in the cellar, then who should we be blaming for having him be the only option for 4 years?
    Quote Quote