Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Extend Jeff Ireland...

1. -61
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
    Actually, I think the older fans are generally more critical of the current state of the franchise because we hold this team to the higher standard that was set by Shula. Because of Shula I have it hardwired into my system that the Dolphins are the league's most prestigious, storied team and always belong among the elite. I always thought it was the younger fans who crow about Ireland in debates about whether or not he's better than Mueller or Spielman. I mean who gives a ****. Also doesn't Ross deserve credit for Philbin. Or should we reject the reports that Ireland wanted McCoy? Btw, Tannehill is for real and if you're going to credit Ireland for him then you're going to be in Ireland's corner for a long time.
    The Dolphins, to me, are one of the gold standard teams of the NFL. But continual changing of coaches and management turns you into what we have been. Why did Shula have his success? Bc management + Marino led to 20 years of success. The key is to find good pieces to build your organization and KEEP THEM. Qb? Check. Coach? Check. GM? Check.

History will absolve Jeff Ireland of any perceived miscues from the past. I just want to KNOW and have the security that he's here for the long haul.
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
    Actually, I think the older fans are generally more critical of the current state of the franchise because we hold this team to the higher standard that was set by Shula. Because of Shula I have it hardwired into my system that the Dolphins are the league's most prestigious, storied team and always belong among the elite. I always thought it was the younger fans who crow about Ireland in debates about whether or not he's better than Mueller or Spielman. I mean who gives a ****. Also doesn't Ross deserve credit for Philbin. Or should we reject the reports that Ireland wanted McCoy? Btw, Tannehill is for real and if you're going to credit Ireland for him then you're going to be in Ireland's corner for a long time.
    Your right Shula spoiled us and he could take mediocre NFL talent and win with it. Shula probably would have hit on Super Bowls with a better GM too but that is guessing. As far as being in Ireland's corner like I mentioned at the end of my post that if RT and Philbin did not add up and they still might not then Ireland should be held responsible as they were chosen on his watch alone. There are no more Bill Parcell or Tony S excuses for him to slide by with. Ireland's first GM job was here with the fins and he was hired by Parcells with Tony so I tend to buy that Bill and Tony were part of the equation when they were here. Now they are gone so regardless if you or I want to give Ross or Sherman the credit suddenly because things are going well that's OK but those decisions still pass through Ireland just like all Ireland's pontiffs want to give him the same blame for all the mistakes made when Ireland buddies were here. My point is Ireland did not get to pick his buddies when he was hired we all know that but he was in on the picking of Philbin and RT this year. He signed off on it. You are happy with those 2 so far right? This year was a better draft right? I believe Ireland has improved in his picking since coming in as a rookie GM and he is on the upswing so lets see where it goes. Before you write me off as a Ireland homer too you can look at my posts just a month earlier especially after the Vonte Davis trade at the beginning of the season when it appeared to me Philbin was in over his head as a coach and RT appeared to be a reach at pick number 8. Go PhinsPhins
    Quote Quote  

3. -63
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jeff Ireland is the General Manager and architect of the Miami Dolphins. What is our outlook for this season and the future?

While I don't share the sentiment, wanting to hold off on extending him is understandable, but saying he still needs to go is nonsense. Everything the Dolphins currently ARE and WILL BE is due to Jeff Ireland.
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    Jeff Ireland is the General Manager and architect of the Miami Dolphins. What is our outlook for this season and the future?

While I don't share the sentiment, wanting to hold off on extending him is understandable, but saying he still needs to go is nonsense. Everything the Dolphins currently ARE and WILL BE is due to Jeff Ireland.
    Agreed I am off on resigning him until the last moment like the players working on the final year of their contract it make me hungrier

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    Agreed I am off on resigning him until the last moment like the players working on the final year of their contract it make me hungrier
    Plus we get to see more of his work to see if Ireland should be signed.
    Quote Quote  

5. -65
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Dolphins, to me, are one of the gold standard teams of the NFL. But continual changing of coaches and management turns you into what we have been. Why did Shula have his success? Bc management + Marino led to 20 years of success. The key is to find good pieces to build your organization and KEEP THEM. Qb? Check. Coach? Check. GM? Check.

History will absolve Jeff Ireland of any perceived miscues from the past. I just want to KNOW and have the security that he's here for the long haul.
    Shula did a lot of great things, early in his career, but he wasted Marino's talent by keeping a has been defensive coordinator (Tom Olivadotti) around for much too long. Olivadotti was horrible. Bill Arnsparger, on the other hand, knew how to run a defense even though he often had very undersized players, and not the best draft picks to work with.
    Quote Quote  

6. -66
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You're right. Even the Cameron era yielded Paul Soliai.

Where has Jeff Ireland failed? The last 4 years were given to Chad Henne so that he could blossom...he didn't. IMO it says more about the job Ireland has done down here that we did so well when Henne DIDN'T play (Pennington/Moore). Philbin and Tannehill and a top 5 defense and an offseason with lots of cap space and lots of draft picks...all thanks to Ireland. He and Philbin are the antithesis of Tannebaum and Rex, they emphasize VALUE and CHARACTER, and the result is that we are setup to succeed, now and heading into the future.

21-31 record and 10-16 record at home since 2009.

We were probably just a decent WR and/or corner from being 3-1 this season and that wasn't even a depth issue, we all knew those were weak spots back in March. IMO the GM is directly responsible for costing us those 2 close losses. Maybe it wouldn't matter come the end of the season but right now 3-1 would be pretty awesome. We'd be in the lead in the AFCE and Tannehill would be getting the praise he deserves.
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post

We were probably just a decent WR and/or corner from being 3-1 this season and that wasn't even a depth issue, we all knew those were weak spots back in March. IMO the GM is directly responsible for costing us those 2 close losses. Maybe it wouldn't matter come the end of the season but right now 3-1 would be pretty awesome. We'd be in the lead in the AFCE and Tannehill would be getting the praise he deserves.
    There is no doubt that going from Vontae to Richard Marshall is a down grade. Same with losing Brandon Marshall...unit is downgraded. But you have to keep perspective as to WHY we made those moves, and they were made for the right reasons. You don't get to trade those 2 players for draft picks and replace them instantly with similar talent..it's just not possible. Philbin wants to instill a certain culture, building on Ireland's "high character" inclination, and given that he's coming from the prototypical culture in Green Bay, he should be allowed that.
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post

Your hindsight is 20/20 but at the beginning of the season based on last years teams roster we all knew that QB and RT were bigger needs going into this season along with a pass rusher. Wow our first 3 picks in the draft and FA were at those 3 positions. Granted all the FA are gone but the rookies are hold ing their own. Now Ireland probably did not see the Vonte Davis trade coming no one really knows why. On the other hand at the WR position we had like umpteen young receivers on the roster and brought in a ton of young talent and none of it has panned out. You and I do not know if it was Ireland or Philbin that wanted Marshall and Vonte gone but I would bet on the latter since Ireland brought those guys in. Marshal probably would have undermined RT but IMO Vonte was worth holding on to. Ross knows who made those decisions and that is what counts.
    Quote Quote  

9. -69
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks

And we're currently 1-3, and will be around 6-10 at best. Good riddance Ireland.
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NoVa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You are who your record says you are.

roy_miami: 21-31 and 10-16 at home since 2009.

Ireland has underperformed. If a player underperformed like that he'd be gone (looking at you Clyde Gates). Ireland has the rest of his contract unless he really screws the pooch between now and then. I'm fine keeping Ireland that long but to extend his contract now?? Heck no!
    -Sharkbait, woo hah haa

"I guess I'm gonna have to say it. I'm not going to be the head coach of Alabama." -The Nicktator

"The Ginn family is going to be a great addition to this football team." -Cam Cam Cam
    Quote Quote