Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Extend Jeff Ireland...

1. -81
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
    I'm still undecided about Ireland. I can't determine if he or Parcells was responsible for drafting Merling, White, Turner, etc. I'm still willing to give him more time, but man....not sure if it's just me, but he really kinda rubbed me wrong during Hard Knocks. I have no good explanation other than he kinda seemed like a pr!ck.
    I hope you don't mean the vonte incident. that was bizzare and i'm not sure you or I would've handled it much different or better than jeff did. and I saw a guy who gave some time to every player released, and was very respectful and straightfoward. I guess sometimes we see what we want to see though.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

2. -82
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Extend Jeff Ireland...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    I've soured on Ireland and under ordinary circumstances would prefer to see him gone. HOWEVER, it's likely that whover would replace him would then replace Philbin, and I've come to believe that Joe and the entire aura around him are a helluva lot more critical to the success of the Fins than whether Ireland stays or goes (particularly since it's obvious that he's influencing Jeff's decisions now.).

Oh and to Anvil35, I come to the main forum to escape polarizing bull**** like you are sprinkling here.. there's a political forum here for it where some will agree with you and others not. This is my ****ing oasis from that kind of crap. I won't alert on you this time but you need to cut this **** out!
    Exactly! We need to give Ireland a three year extension to give Philbin plenty of time to develop his team.
    Quote Quote  

3. -83
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    What you expect with a rookie QB, rookie head coach, new OL and DL schemes get real. As much as I want to see them win its not like this some comic book thing with super heroes it does take time
    This is exactly what I expected. Another losing season, with Ireland taking much of the blame because he sucks at finding talent, particularly playmakers that change games.
    Quote Quote  

4. -84
    Touchdown

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    DeFuniak Springs Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    It's best not to be too rash or hasty one way or the other. Best time to think about Irelands future is at the end of the season.

Just win Phin baby!
    Quote Quote  

5. -85
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    This is exactly what I expected. Another losing season, with Ireland taking much of the blame because he sucks at finding talent, particularly playmakers that change games.
    Why should your team be any different than the others. Luck, Griffen, Weeden you would be wise to bet against them their first year and especially early in the season. We have played well except against the Texans even though the Jets and Card may prove not to be top tier teams. Fans have been crying for that coach since 1999 when Shula was run out of town because of them and that next franchise QB since Marino retired. I am not anointing Philbin and RT those guys yet but if they turn out to be those guys under Ireland's watch then IMO he deserves at least as much or more credit than all those moves when Parcells and Tony were here. You cannot blame Ireland for hiring Tony and it is ironic that since Tony is gone some of those players like Jerry and Msi most of the draft gurus on this site wanted to blame Ireland for drafting suddenly want to give the credit to their resurgence to Philbin. While Philbin does deserve credit for coaching them up that is his responsibility to coach them up not Ireland's. Yes Ireland was a year late firing Tony S but we know after Rosses gaff that Ireland was on the plane last year looking for Tony's replacement. Yes I get it that Ireland should have drafted Matt R his first year as GM. Ireland was fresh from Dallas where he had just unearthed the undrafted Tony Romo. His boss from Dallas Bill was here who we all read at that time believed in building the lines first and a QB could be found in the later rounds. Well with the right coach now our lines are the strength of this team. Interesting with Tony and Bill gone for the first time Ireland does draft a QB in the first round and suddenly our offensive line finally gels. We have our best draft. I agree we lost some very important pieces in Vonte and Marshall and I believe we would be 3-1 if they were here. But maybe Philbin did not want them here and if that is the case what do you think about that?
    Quote Quote  

6. -86
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    Why should your team be any different than the others. Luck, Griffen, Weeden you would be wise to bet against them their first year and especially early in the season.
    Those teams have all gone through regime changes recently...
    Quote Quote  

7. -87
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Iet Philban pick his goods for the offense to build it the way Philban wants too. Ireland can keep looking in other areas to find talent CFL ect and deal with free agency.
    Quote Quote  

8. -88
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I stick by my brain worms statement.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Devin Townsend Project: Kingdom (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZjziohaPc
    Quote Quote  

9. -89
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    I hope you don't mean the vonte incident. that was bizzare and i'm not sure you or I would've handled it much different or better than jeff did. and I saw a guy who gave some time to every player released, and was very respectful and straightfoward. I guess sometimes we see what we want to see though.
    I'm not an Ireland fan but fair is fair and I agree with you about this.He did spend some time with them and told them why they wre being release. Even tho I feel he should have been let go already, I don't blame him or everything either.This team has been draftin bad for 20 years now so I can't blame him for everything.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

10. -90
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's a fine line Ireland has been walking. Frankly, I think his social skills lick hind parts. Granted, you don't have to be liked to do your job well. But since he isn't liked, I think it puts his body of work under a very big microscope.

The biggest problem I have with all this cap space we have next year and the bumper crops of picks we have.... it comes from HIS failed picks and poor decisions in free agency. We could have had this money in past years. But look at some of the bad contracts we've had to endure.

And I can't conclusively say that the players he has picked that are playing well NOW are the result of bad coaching in the past, great coaching now or the player's ability to succeed in spite of coaching.

Sure, we have pieces but do we have enough to show for the time he has been here?

Yes, he did free up a large amount of cap space and secure draft picks for players we didn't want. But it's so EASY to look at that and praise him. When you look at it from another angle, it reads of a guy trying like hell to save his job and distancing himself from his own mistakes.

Anyone can have a firesale and put a team in a prime position to rebound with draft picks and excess cash for the next season. But have they proven they can actually produce great players from those draft picks and free agency cash? In Ireland's case, I think he's average... at best.

I believe Ireland is learning... the entire way. This is his first legit gig as a GM. So, IF we are going to keep him, I wouldn't give him a large extension AND I would strip him of some of his authority. I believe Ireland still needs help. I HOPE Tannehill is the product of him opening up his narrow minded control freak brain and listening to the coaching staff on the most important position in football. I HOPE.

If that is the case and this is the M.O. moving forward, give him a small extension and let him continue to prove he CAN produce with this formula. If he can, then worry about a long extension. If he can't, show him the door.

If we rule Ireland as constant between the Sparano years and Philbin, we would have to say Philbin's results may take a little more time. But Philbin's method to success is with a young and talented core that will continue his success. Sparano started strong with vets. it was a house of cards. When the cards fell, we had nothing to show for the time he was here. Thus, I believe at this point, Philbin has more to do with our positive looking future than Sparano ever did. So, give him the credit and not Ireland.

JMHO
    Quote Quote