Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, who do you target in next years draft?

1. -71
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's my question, is Keenan Allen a guy that if we are picking somwhere between say 12- 20 that we actually trade up for him? Do we make the move to go get him and how high do we go because if we are trading up into the top five then I have to also start wondering can we get a Mingo or Jones to come be our other elite pass rusher. I feel we have a bigger need at WR I would be happy to move up to 7 or 8 to get him but is he priced higher than that? Right now the top of the draft before the whole process happens you've got, Smith, Barkley, Mingo, Jones, Star are the top five in my mind. then you get into guys like Montgomery, Milliner, Hankins from OSU, Werner, Joeckel, Matthews and Allen. If he was around at 7-8 I think depending on the cost go grab him. But even a guy like Milliner in that group would look very nice across from Smith.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Give me Mike Wallace and draft Allen...
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Random thoughts ...

It seems clear our coaching staff wants a receiver with a large wingspan foremost and secondarily speed (vertical speed to get deep and scare DB's) and quickness (to create separation) and brains (to understand and properly execute sight adjustments). So looking at the collegiate WR's, I'd eliminate all of the marquee prospects under 6'3. If we select a WR smaller than 6'3 it will likely not be in the 1st round. I'd guess our staff is targeting Justin Hunter/Keenan Allen as the only 1st round guys. I'd imagine Cordarelle Patterson might be their ideal guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Philbin wants no head cases, no problem children, no divas, and no knuckleheads. Look for prospects that avoided major run-ins with their coaches, the law, and team discipline.

So, exciting prospects like Tavon Austin, Steadman Bailey, and even Robert Woods might not make the cut because of their size. Slower guys will probably not be selected even if they look like incredible prospects. Talented kids like Da'Rick Rogers will likely be heavily interviewed and thoroughly investigated if there is any chance we may draft them. When it's all said and done, I'd expect us to look at less than half the WR's being projected to be drafted in any particular round. Philbin is looking for a #1 and #1a type WR's with a very demanding list of needed qualities.

Many GM's like to double-up on a certain position. It helps the transition for the players, kills two birds with one stone from a teaching standpoint, and each kid learns from the other's mistakes as well as their own. It also gives more insurance to the GM that this position will be filled. Ireland does that (e.g. Merling/Langford or Vontae Davis/Sean Smith). I fully expect us to double-up on premier WR's in the 2013 draft. The 1st rounder will be expected to step in and start. The second day selection will likely be rougher around the edges. If I had to guess, I'd guess that they might target Justin Hunter in the 1st and Cordarelle Patterson in the 2nd/3rd depending upon where his projection is at draft time. I'd love it if they came away with those two, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know how you've come away with the impression that they won't draft anyone under 6'3" but I assure you if you go through Green Bay's history, and even just look at the two WRs that the Dolphins drafted this past year, you'll come away thinking that they're more likely to AVOID guys that are above 6'3" as opposed to the other way around.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Random thoughts ...

It seems clear our coaching staff wants a receiver with a large wingspan foremost and secondarily speed (vertical speed to get deep and scare DB's) and quickness (to create separation) and brains (to understand and properly execute sight adjustments). So looking at the collegiate WR's, I'd eliminate all of the marquee prospects under 6'3. If we select a WR smaller than 6'3 it will likely not be in the 1st round. I'd guess our staff is targeting Justin Hunter/Keenan Allen as the only 1st round guys. I'd imagine Cordarelle Patterson might be their ideal guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Philbin wants no head cases, no problem children, no divas, and no knuckleheads. Look for prospects that avoided major run-ins with their coaches, the law, and team discipline.

So, exciting prospects like Tavon Austin, Steadman Bailey, and even Robert Woods might not make the cut because of their size. Slower guys will probably not be selected even if they look like incredible prospects. Talented kids like Da'Rick Rogers will likely be heavily interviewed and thoroughly investigated if there is any chance we may draft them. When it's all said and done, I'd expect us to look at less than half the WR's being projected to be drafted in any particular round. Philbin is looking for a #1 and #1a type WR's with a very demanding list of needed qualities.

Many GM's like to double-up on a certain position. It helps the transition for the players, kills two birds with one stone from a teaching standpoint, and each kid learns from the other's mistakes as well as their own. It also gives more insurance to the GM that this position will be filled. Ireland does that (e.g. Merling/Langford or Vontae Davis/Sean Smith). I fully expect us to double-up on premier WR's in the 2013 draft. The 1st rounder will be expected to step in and start. The second day selection will likely be rougher around the edges. If I had to guess, I'd guess that they might target Justin Hunter in the 1st and Cordarelle Patterson in the 2nd/3rd depending upon where his projection is at draft time. I'd love it if they came away with those two, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.
    Using your criteria Justin Hunter is out...I think he lacks in the brains department and I've seen more than enough "diva" moments from him in games. I haven't watched enough of Keenan Allen to formulate an opinion on him but the University of California - Berkley is a top 10 - 15 school in the country.

I also don't think I would eliminate anyone with this coaching staff due to height...those cookie cutter measurables per position requirements was the Parcells way of drafting. During Sherman's time as a Coach/GM in Green Bay they seemed to draft guys who were 6'0"+ but during Philbin's time there the year after Sherman left they took Greg Jennings who's 5'11" and they also took Randall Cobb in 2011 who's 5'10". I agree that Tavon Austin may not be in play but I would be surprised if Stedman Bailey isn't on the list...he's too much of a playmaker to overlook and fills every requirement Philbin is looking for, catches the ball consistently, short area quickness to get separation, deep speed to get behind the defense, unbelievable ability to get yards after catch...I have a hard time thinking they're just going to disregard this kid just cause he's not 6' something.
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    It's a trap!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the Dolphins should draft Allen(1st) and Bailey(2nd)
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quinton Patton has been a great player since day 1 for Louisiana Tech since he came out of JUCO. I can't imagine what else anyone could be waiting on from him unless they just haven't seen him. He does 2 things extremely well which is why he's able to produce so consistently..... he beats the jam, and is one of the best run-after-catch receivers in the country. Two things that are the foundation of a terrific pro.

I watched Troy Edwards catch 21 passes for over 400 yards for Louisiana Tech against Nebraska back in the late 90's.... Patton's game against Texas A&M was a little reminiscent of it.

Johnthan Banks once said that Quinton Patton is the best receiver he's ever faced..... I imagine Terry Hawthorne would agree with him.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Quinton Patton has been a great player since day 1 for Louisiana Tech since he came out of JUCO. I can't imagine what else anyone could be waiting on from him unless they just haven't seen him. He does 2 things extremely well which is why he's able to produce so consistently..... he beats the jam, and is one of the best run-after-catch receivers in the country. Two things that are the foundation of a terrific pro.

I watched Troy Edwards catch 21 passes for over 400 yards for Louisiana Tech against Nebraska back in the late 90's.... Patton's game against Texas A&M was a little reminiscent of it.

Johnthan Banks once said that Quinton Patton is the best receiver he's ever faced..... I imagine Terry Hawthorne would agree with him.
    Which is exactly the problem. As I already said, I've only seen one game of his.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We will not be in a draft position to get Keenan or Hunter. My guess is Woods or Williams can fall to us but that's only if we go WR with our first. It's going to be a draft time call depending on who at CB and De are also still on board. I can see maybe Rodgers with one of our 2nds.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    from the little I've seen of Patton, he can get separation in small areas that allow him to make nice plays. He had 2 great TDs on fades against the Aggies
    Quote Quote