Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh YEA! ITS ON!

1. -61
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    Nope, my tax rate will stay the same. They will however create jobs which will bring more workers into the tax pool and thus increase revenue, it always works.
    Nope, it won't.

On “60 Minutes” last night, Mitt Romney said it again. “I want to keep the current progressivity in the code. There should be no tax reduction for high income people.”

You’ve heard Romney say this — or some variant of it –dozens of times before. What’s changed since then is that Romney has admitted that his tax cuts, if they’re not going to add to the deficit, will have to increase taxes on people he defines as middle income and cut them on people he defines as high income.

Before we get to that admission, a quick refresher. Romney’s tax plan proposes to cut tax rates by 20 percent. That would cost trillions of dollars, and mean a particularly big tax cut for the rich.

But Romney promises his tax cut won’t cost anything, won’t raise taxes on the middle class, won’t cut taxes on the rich, and won’t end the tax breaks for savings and investment.

The Tax Policy Center, the gold standard in nonpartisan tax wonkery, looked at the tax cut and these promises and declared the proposal “not mathematically possible.” Since Romney doesn’t want to touch tax breaks for savings and investment like the capital gains cut — a position he reiterated last night on “60 Minutes” — there just isn’t enough money in the remaining tax breaks for people making over $250,000 to pay for their tax cuts.

For awhile, the Romney campaign had no answer to this. They just said they didn’t believe the Tax Policy Center — called it biased, even though it’s run by one of George W. Bush’s top economists.

Then, slowly, right-leaning economists and outlets began releasing their own studies showing that, if you made some really, really questionable assumptions, you could kinda sorta make Romney’s math look like it might add up. And so you might have heard Romney say this to David Gregory on “Meet the Press”:

The good news is that five different economic studies, including one at Harvard and Princeton and AEI and a couple at The Wall Street Journal all show that if we bring down our top rates and actually go across the board, bring down rates for everyone in America, but also limit deductions and exemptions for people at the high end, while you can keep the progressivity in the code, you could remain revenue neutral and you create an enormous incentive for growth in the economy.

The Harvard study was done by economist Martin Feldstein, and he makes a very important decision in his paper. He writes, “I think it is very reasonable to say that people in that high-income group” — by which means people making over $100,000 — “are not the ‘middle class.’”

And so, under really, really unrealistic assumptions, he shows that the math can kind of work, but that Romney’s policies would mean a really big tax increase for people making between $100,000 and $250,000 in order to pay for a big tax cut on people making more than $250,000. But that’s okay, because people making over $100,000 are not in the middle class.

And Romney has been all over the place trumpeting this study, saying this study shows his math works out. But then ABC’s George Stephanopoulos caught him out:

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Is $100,000 middle income?

MITT ROMNEY: No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less.

For the record, I’m actually with Feldstein on this one: I think it’s reasonable to say households making more than $100,000 are not middle income. But Romney disagrees with me, and with Feldstein.

So the study Romney is promoting — the one he says is the study you should be looking at — actually shows even under the most favorable assumptions possible, he’s going to have to raise taxes on the people he defines as the middle class. In saying that that study is credible, he has admitted he can’t make his tax promises add up. And yet he constantly, repeatedly says the opposite.

Romney has clearly calculated that there aren’t many people who read these analyses. If he just keeps saying his tax plan can cut taxes on the rich while cutting taxes on the middle class while not cutting taxes on the rich while not costing a dime, eventually, his version of this will come to be seen as the truth. And perhaps he’s right. But the numbers show what they show.
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    Obama is killing the coal industry for these green movement BS.
    He's got to line the pockets of his financial supporters, you know that as well as I do : -) They give him their money, he gives them more of our money in return, it's classic corruption.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

3. -63
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by statler waldorf View Post

neither, cutler set up a false dichotomy. Logic is not the obama camp’s strong suit, emotionalism is.

nope, my tax rate will stay the same. They will however create jobs which will bring more workers into the tax pool and thus increase revenue, it always works.
    ftmfw.
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    DRAGONBORN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hallandale, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

What on Earth makes you think he should? Increasing taxes on the job creators in America is the worst way to create jobs, I have never worked for a low income person and I never will; I have worked for many “wealthy” people though.
    I'd probably fire you.
    Quote Quote  

5. -65
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Nope, it won't.
    I don't make more than 100,000 a year, so you're wrong, my taxes will not go up.
    Quote Quote  

6. -66
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well apparently you think all criticisms of the president qualify as such, you’re an Obama fanboy, everyone knows it.

There’s nothing wrong with writing in the passive voice, and your arguments are based on INDCUCTIVE reasoning, not deductive reasoning; read a textbook for once.
    Ha, you got me, I typed the wrong word. You, on the other hand, don't seem to know the definition of the word "all". Do you see me defending the President from all of D9954's posts? Have you ever seen me defend the President's lies, broken promises, or weak leadership? How many policy positions of his have you seen me defend?

Ask anyone who's been around the PoFo for a little while. I have my own issues with the President. It's just that mine are based in reality.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey bro, I earn my money through the skills I was fortunate to have and developed.

Also, I need coal to start dominating again. One of my best group of customers is coal miners with excess money. Less and less of them are showing up. Obama is killing the coal industry for these green movement BS.

Ok, buddy. As long as we're clear on the fact that you were trolling with straight bull**** there.
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

Ok, buddy. As long as we're clear on the fact that you were trolling with straight bull**** there.
    I havent trolled at all in this thread. Its all true. Obama is killing our businesses in this country. We need a leader like Romney that will get these poors back to work.
    Quote Quote  

9. -69
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    He's got to line the pockets of his financial supporters, you know that as well as I do : -) They give him their money, he gives them more of our money in return, it's classic corruption.
    You could say the same thing about Romney

Romney's top campaign contributors:
    1. Goldman Sachs
    2. JPMorgan Chase & Co.
    3. Bank of America
    4. Morgan Stanley
    5. Credit Suisse Group
    6. Citigroup Inc

Or do the banks not expect favorable policy in return for their investments?

That's one of the reasons I dig Ron Paul, contrast his top contributors with Romney.

Paul's biggest campaign contributors
    1. US Army
    2. US Navy
    3. US Air Force
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I havent trolled at all in this thread. Its all true. Obama is killing our businesses in this country. We need a leader like Romney that will get these poors back to work.
    And Romney knows how to get those poors back to work.

Building car elevators for everyone, other then low income, homes. Id vote for that.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered

#freespesh. Because HIPAA
    http://www.finheaven.com/showthread....e-Recap-Thread
    Quote Quote