Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Stout stuff from Dolphins’ front four _ team has NFL’s best run defense and 15 sacks

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Stout stuff from Dolphins’ front four _ team has NFL’s best run defense and 15 sacks

The Miami Dolphins’ defensive line stops the run, pressures the quarterback and even grabs an occasional interception. Stout stuff up front gives the Dolphins cause for optimism as they enter the most inviting part of their schedule. Coming off a breakthrough win, Miami (2-3) is an opening-line favorite for the first time this season Sunday against the St. Louis Rams (3-2), and no other game against a team with a winning record looms until after Thanksgiving.

If the Dolphins are to climb above .500 — an elusive goal in recent years — they’ll likely do it with defense. Miami is the NFL’s stingiest team in rushing yards allowed per game (61) and per carry (2.7), and by forcing opponents to throw, the Dolphins are accomplishing coach Joe Philbin’s goal of making the other team one-dimensional.
    “To a large degree we’re getting that done,” Philbin said Monday. “We’re getting the run shut down well and getting favorable down and distance where we can tee it up and go after the quarterback a little bit. That’s only going to help us as we move forward.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...945_story.html
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Since 84

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have been kicking ass against the ground game for years. Its the aerial assults that been beating us.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Some times I have to pinch myself in the morning to make sure I'm not dreaming. D is playing good ball, the QB is playing good ball, rushing attack is playing good ball and even the receiving corps is getting it done.

Did I enter the twilight zone this season or is this real?
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    We Are Still Going To The SB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Some times I have to pinch myself in the morning to make sure I'm not dreaming. D is playing good ball, the QB is playing good ball, rushing attack is playing good ball and even the receiving corps is getting it done.

It's real, some of us saw this coming to. It's been a long road, but NY we so deserve it homey. And how many of our players are over the age of 30 ? We are just going to keep getting better and better and better.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not mentioned in the article, but I feel the front seven also deserves some of the credit for our 7 interceptions, Randy Stark's pick not withstanding. That's tied for 5th in the league at this point, and the pressure we are getting on QBs has played a factor in a lot of those picks. Even when they aren't getting sacks, the opposing QBs have not gotten all day to pick apart our secondary, and they've forced some bad decisions. If they keep playing like they are, I really feel we can play with anybody on our schedule including New England. The way to beat Brady is to pressure him. Good stuff. Thanks for postiong the article.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    We Are Still Going To The SB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    It's not mentioned in the article, but I feel the front seven also deserves some of the credit for our 7 interceptions, Randy Stark's pick not withstanding. That's tied for 5th in the league at this point, and the pressure we are getting on QBs has played a factor in a lot of those picks. Even when they aren't getting sacks, the opposing QBs have not gotten all day to pick apart our secondary, and they've forced some bad decisions. If they keep playing like they are, I really feel we can play with anybody on our schedule including New England. The way to beat Brady is to pressure him. Good stuff. Thanks for postiong the article.
    Yes! I agree 1000% percent. And the coaching, oh my god the coaching.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In the past, our pass-D has been so bad that we have to practically play nickel/dime and then teams start running on us late in the game. With some better secondary play and better coverage from our LBs, we're able to truly keep the run contained and maintain pressure. I still wish we got there more often, as Kolb had a ton of time on too many plays. It's interesting that we're a better team today than the team that played the Jets 3 weeks ago. Hopefully we'll be a better team on Sunday than the one that played the Bengals 2 days ago. With each week of practice we improve because, as such a young team in key positions, we have that room to improve. We understand our O and D systems better and our rookies and 2nd year players are growing.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post

I am right there with you.
    Quote Quote