Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gannon impressed with phins/tannehill, says philbin ran best camp he ever saw

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Gannon impressed with phins/tannehill, says philbin ran best camp he ever saw

“I’m encouraged by the Dolphins,” Gannon said in an interview Thursday. “You don’t want to say they got off to a great start because they’re 1-3, but they could easily be 3-1. And that they’re doing it with a rookie quarterback I think speaks volumes with what this team can accomplish.”
    Gannon pointed out that the Dolphins have a mind-boggling run differential – averaging 153 yards on the ground per game, while only allowing 56 yards per game – and that coach Joe Philbin ran “one of the best training camp practices I ever saw.” He sees a team that doesn’t know how to finish games off now, but will soon.
    “I think this team learned how to practice and compete, and doing it in that environment in the heat and humidity,” Gannon said. “I think you’re going to see a much different team as the season goes along, a team that gets stronger and knows how to finish. You had a team that had no reason to play in the second half of the year last year, and they finished really well, and I think there’s some character on that team, I really do.”
    Of course, Gannon’s positive impression of the Dolphins starts with rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill who despite a 2:6 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 66.4 passer rating has played far better than anyone expected of him this season.
    “You look at a guy that played some receiver in college, had only 19 starts, I think your first thought is, ‘Geez, what’s the learning curve going to be like?’” Gannon said. “And to think that if they could just finish a game they’d be 3-1 right now, it’s kind of amazing.”
    Gannon said Tannehill’s ability at the line of scrimmage far surpasses his experience.
    “The communication with this guy before the snap – in the shotgun, he’s redirecting the line, changing protection, making the right calls, all those type of things that typically that take off of a young quarterback,” Gannon said. “I think that the continuity around him (with the coaching staff) has helped him, but there’s no question he’s a sharp kid. I’m very impressed with how well he’s done so far.”
    Gannon said Tannehill actually reminds him of his opponent this week – Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton, who led his team to the playoffs as a rookie and has the Bengals at 3-1 this year.
    “I’m not ready to christen him yet, but he reminds me a little bit of Dalton,” Gannon said. “He makes a mistake, throws an interception, something happens, and it doesn’t phase him, and that’s one of the best attributes that Dalton has. I think we’re seeing that out of Ryan. He’s got great confidence and the ability to turn the page, whether it’s good or bad.”
    “If you go back and look at a couple of the interceptions – the first one he threw in the Houston game, my gosh, it’s a terrible route. The guy doesn’t finish the route, and Ryan throws it in there and it gets picked off. You can fault the quarterback I suppose, but I think when you start judging the position and you say what’s the most important thing about playing the quarterback position – decision making – I think he’s been pretty steady.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/theda...yan-tannehill/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Tannehill may need more time, but im sold on Philbin and have been for a long time.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We're in good hands with a cerebral yet pragmatic coach, motivator and teacher with a plan... and of course, one of the most promising young QBs to come out in the last several years.

I posted yesterday that IMO, Coach Joe is much more critical to the success of this franchise than Ireland, especially since it's obvious that he's influencing Ireland's picks. Consequently I'd rather keep Ireland than run the risk of having his replacement hire a new HC and lose Philbin and his staff.

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    We're in good hands with a cerebral yet pragmatic coach, motivator and teacher with a plan... and of course, one of the most promising young QBs to come out in the last several years.

I posted yesterday that IMO, Coach Joe is much more critical to the success of this franchise than Ireland, especially since it's obvious that he's influencing Ireland's picks. Consequently I'd rather keep Ireland than run the risk of having his replacement hire a new HC and lose Philbin and his staff.
    Couldn't agree more
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Winner Under Construction

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post

Agreed. My take is that as long as Philbin is comfortable working with Ireland, who are we to say Ireland should go? I think Philbin will have a lot of say with Ross as to whether Ireland stays or goes.
    The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others.

- Don Shula

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Offensive Mindset

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    new jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is nice to finally have a cerebral coach. Aside from Saban who have we had the past decade? I agree as long as Philbin plays a major role in the players we bring in, this team will be in good hands
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by njFinsForever View Post
    It is nice to finally have a cerebral coach. Aside from Saban who have we had the past decade? I agree as long as Philbin plays a major role in the players we bring in, this team will be in good hands
    One of my favorite things about Philbin is his "it's not that complicated" approach. Practices in South Florida heat don't have to go on for hours..he made them 30 minutes short of the time limit. Efficient. He doesn't seem to take things so seriously; he goes for it on 4th down and goal. He's smart enough to be ahead of the curve, but understands that when you run an organization professionally, and deal with and hire professionals, who act professionally..the culture regulates itself.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If this team starts winning you can be sure Ireland will be reporting to Philbin.
    I haven't felt this good about the Dolphins in a decade.
    Think about the Jets O that was our HC, and the Bills D that was HC, there was no hope, feel bad for Zach and JT.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    “If you go back and look at a couple of the interceptions – the first one he threw in the Houston game, my gosh, it’s a terrible route. The guy doesn’t finish the route,...YEAH PUNANEE WE KNOW!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    jax, fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great points. Agrees, perhaps Philbin can help Ireland in his job too / help learn to pick more talented players. If so, I wouldn't mind terribly if Ireland is retained- that of course unless Philbin knows / has someone in mind that could be more complimentary.

Dolphins have more fun!
    Quote Quote