Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Mike Wallace's role expands after talk with Joe Philbin

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Mike Wallace's role expands after talk with Joe Philbin

This is what I like about Philbin. Not saying that other coaches do not do this, but his openness with his players opinions is nice to hear.

Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin publicly downplayed Mike Wallace's frustration at catching only one pass in the season-opening victory over the Cleveland Browns.

When the two spoke in private shortly thereafter, Philbin assured his big-ticket free-agent acquisition that the game plan would be changed leading up to Week 2.

Philbin followed through on his word, leading to a career-high nine receptions and 115 yards for Wallace in the Dolphins' 24-20 win at Indianapolis.
    The wide receiver explained to NFL Media's Jeff Darlington on Tuesday that the increased production was the direct result of an expanded route tree.
    Whereas Wallace had been limited primarily to vertical routes in Pittsburgh, his bounce-back game against the Colts came about because Philbin allowed him to try routes the wide receiver had never run before.
    According to Darlington, Wallace came away from his meeting and the Week 2 victory encouraged by Philbin's receptiveness.
    Read more:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...th-joe-philbin
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting.

Is the question then... is there a correlation between all this and the slight disconnect between Sherman and Philbin re play calling?

I find it strange that he gets an extended route tree after game 1 - should this not have been the case all throughout preseason, wasn't the goal to have him more than a one dimensional player... and I'm surmising here, but could this be possibly the reason why the relationship with he and Tannehill has been slow to develop because the focus has been on the deep ball game and not the short to intermediate routes a la Hartline and Gibson who do have a good relationship with RT - even Wallace spoke to this himself post Colts game about it being now his time to get on the same page with RT?

Purely all conjecture on my part but I just find it all a little strange. If you have a playmaker, you get the guy the ball as much as you can. Appreciate the progression aspect and not forcing the ball to him, but be creative and come up with a plan to highlight him and get him in the right match ups... it's all achievable.

Probably the best example of this was when Randy Moss when to New England and under Josh McDaniels had probably the best football of his career, simply because McDaniels moved him all over the place, from slot to inside, stacked to on the line and had him running the extent of the route tree. After McDaniels left for Denver his productivity dropped off.

This is probably the most complete group of WR's we've had in a very long time - the challenge is to Sherman in how to use them. And we saw glimpses of this in the Colts game where we moved the ball because we were coming from all angles and formations/personnel groups. But then we'd digress back to basic or bland approaches.

Hopefully, this could result in Philbin being more involved in the game plan... which can only be a good thing - short term anyway.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

Another POV

Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post
    Interesting.

Is the question then... is there a correlation between all this and the slight disconnect between Sherman and Philbin re play calling?

I find it strange that he gets an extended route tree after game 1 - should this not have been the case all throughout preseason, wasn't the goal to have him more than a one dimensional player... and I'm surmising here, but could this be possibly the reason why the relationship with he and Tannehill has been slow to develop because the focus has been on the deep ball game and not the short to intermediate routes a la Hartline and Gibson who do have a good relationship with RT - even Wallace spoke to this himself post Colts game about it being now his time to get on the same page with RT?

Purely all conjecture on my part but I just find it all a little strange. If you have a playmaker, you get the guy the ball as much as you can. Appreciate the progression aspect and not forcing the ball to him, but be creative and come up with a plan to highlight him and get him in the right match ups... it's all achievable.

Probably the best example of this was when Randy Moss when to New England and under Josh McDaniels had probably the best football of his career, simply because McDaniels moved him all over the place, from slot to inside, stacked to on the line and had him running the extent of the route tree. After McDaniels left for Denver his productivity dropped off.

This is probably the most complete group of WR's we've had in a very long time - the challenge is to Sherman in how to use them. And we saw glimpses of this in the Colts game where we moved the ball because we were coming from all angles and formations/personnel groups. But then we'd digress back to basic or bland approaches.

Hopefully, this could result in Philbin being more involved in the game plan... which can only be a good thing - short term anyway.
    As a result of the butt-buddies Parcells and brontosaurus Henning recurring acid reflux, I've never been too comfortable with Sherman working for Philbin. He was Philbin's H.S. teacher and then mentor, they go back that far. While I think Philbin is goal-directed and mostly unsentimental when it comes to eyes on the prize, I've been leery he would or will defer to Sherman or cut him more slack than he would most anyone else in respect for their relationship.

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    Or did they just game plan for Cleveland differently than they did for Indy? Maybe the chat changed nothing, but just gave Wallace the assurance that things were going to be different.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post
    Interesting.

It could be as simple as both Philbin and Sherman's believing, at first, that Wallace's role should be confined to longer part of the route tree, Philbin's checking in on Wallace after he expressed his dismay about it after game one, and then Philbin's approaching Sherman and telling him to give Wallace more responsibility, that through his discussion with Wallace, he believed he could handle it.

I assume that if that was the case, Philbin made it clear to Wallace that he would need to run precise routes with 100% effort if he were to be given this role, Philbin got Wallace's positive feedback about that, and then communicated that to Sherman, who implemented it into the gameplan and the offense.

This could all be a very simple process we call "communication."
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There's no Joe Haden playing for Indy.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the head coach and OC are totally focused on winning the game not getting Wallace more receptions.

He probably is just trying to spin this so that he doesn't look like a pouty prima donna anymore.

He basically made his own bed by mentioning Haden in that interview the week before the game.

He would have been much better served not to have specifically called Haden's name out like he did even if what he said was mostly innocuous.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Avoid the 'Noid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbins history from GB, IMO, leads to adjustments like this. The ability to find ways to adjust to a dynamic situation could be his greatest attribute.

Last year in the GB/SEA game, GB was slow to adjust to the non stop pressure from the LE/LB spots. It took GB until after half time, to adjust by running more 2 TE sets. I said then, Philbin no longer being there, allowed for such a sloppy game plan to begin with.
    Quote Quote