Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Jake Long?

1. -31
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jake isn't going anywhere. With our cap we take care of our own. We resign Long, Bush, Starks, Hartline and Smith. All those guys are earning their money. Yes maybe jake is having an off year but he deserves the benefit of doubt. We keep building thru the draft.

HOTTEST OWNERS IN THE GAME!!!
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    keep jake and up the talent around him
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Give him the 1st round tender and be happy to to get a 1st round round in return when he signs with somebody else.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinatic1399 View Post
    Let em walk and kick martin to LT. We cant lock up joe thomas type money on him he is breaking down, spend the $ on playmakers.
    just what i was going to say because if we cant sign him to decent contract then we still have martin that has played LT all through college and imo it wont be as hard to find a RT as much as it would to get a LT, but as far as signing a FA WR we will still have enough money even if we sign Long and the rest of the FAs we have left to sign.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fin_Frenzy_84 View Post
    Yeah we have space but we also have hartline,bush,starks,long, and smith as key free agents. I see us signing 4 of the 5 but will we have enough for a receiver like Bowe?
    sure will.

Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJack View Post
    Just can't imagine him taking that kind of money. At his best, he's been elite. Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen that for a while now since he's been banged up (shoulder, knee, etc) in the last couple years. I think at 27 he likely thinks he is or can get back to elite and demand that type of money.

If we want to keep him, we may franchise him one year to see his body comes around, but that rarely seems to happen in the NFL for linemen. No way I sign him long term elite LT money when we have such big needs at play making positions at WR, C, S, and TE.
    why do we have big needs at C ? we have one of the best young centers in the league in pouncey , imo our most needs are WR , CB and another pass rusher oppsite of wake , and we could use a little bit of an upgrade at S , but imo its not as bad of a need as the other 3 that i mentioned.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Jonathan Martin's natural position is left tackle...you would only need to draft a good right tackle to replace him.

I don't think you overpay if the guy isn't getting it done...it has to be evaluated. Good teams don't overpay their players, they let them walk.
    imo we are going to be in control and not in serious trouble if Long dosent take what we offer, the ball is in our cornor to where we can offer a cotract to where we are not having to throw crazy money at Long and our team is getting better and better each week and there will be alot of players wanting to come and play here, because we have finally gotten a franchise QB, we can negociate with Long without panicing and throwing big money out there just because we dont have another option , because we do and we should be able to get a fair deal done with Long.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Horrible? Even when not playing his best he is still an elite LT
    He's given up what, at least 4 sacks this year. How about all the penalties he is getting as well this year. He is very far from elite in 2012. He may be elite compared to a Damien McIntosh, or a Wade Smith, but compared to how he is capable of playing, he is playing horrible.
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Misplaced PhinFan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Live Oak, Fla
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cant' say he has been horrible, but no way you pay him top LT money. He has been average (maybe slightly above) even going back to last season. I understand he has been playing hurt but that has become part of his problem, he seems to be hurt constantly. I get that some think we owe him for what he has done in the past but this is a what have you done for me lately league. If he is willing to settle on a fair contract fine, if not you have to do whats best for the team. Like others have said we have Martin in the wings and his natural position is LT, no need to pay Long top money.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Formerly Fiedler for MVP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    A van down by the river
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    He deserves top tier money. Re-sign your own. Finding LT's are hard to do. Plus, remember he is playing hurt. He easily could have sat with his numerous injuries, but each and every week he suits up and plays hard.

I would do a deal with him. Tag Smith. Attempt to re-sign Hartline and Starks. Bush I would let play the market.
    The problem is he seems to be playing hurt alot. Its obviously admirable, but I suspect he's gonna break down bigtime at some point during his next big contract.

"Ryan Tannehill out-Brady'ed Brady"- DanPatrick
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pay the man, a he might not be top 3 but he is def top 10 in NFL -
    he is a great run blocker - and solid Pass blocker -why make a huge hole in the OL --
    remember what a bad LT looked like back in 2005 - 2006? do we really want too watch that again??
    Quote Quote