Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is where I will give Joe a TON of credit

1. -1
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin

Here is where I will give Joe a TON of credit

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP
    Interesting that Philbin took the blame for Clay going out of bounds: "that falls back on me probably not preparing the play well enough"

Myself and a handful of others argued with dozens of Finheaven members about the end of the game management of Coach Philbin. Today, Joe took responsibility for Charles Clay running out of bounds.

What I find to be a great piece of coaching is that Joe is taking a "bullet" for one of his players. Clay needed to stay in bounds and should know better. Saying something like this can gain additional credibility in the locker room. Also, this is a shrewd coaching move of taking the heat off of a struggling Charles Clay and taking the "pressure" on his shoulders as the HC. While Clay has been disappointing, he still can help this team. Perhaps, Joe making this simple statement helps get something out of Clay.

I do not want to litigate the wisdom of throwing the ball or going to Clay in that spot. That was yesterday. Here, I give a ton of credit to Coach Philbin in his locker room management skills.

Let's see how Clay plays over the next month.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Clay is so rusty that since he got a big play ball after not seeing it much at all, he just was not thinking about it.

The good thing about mistakes is you learn from them, especially the glaring ones. Probly not going to see that again and the rookies will take notice in the film room breakdown.

Philbin is a guy who see's the big picture and prepares his players week in week out. I think its becoming obvious in GB that they miss him.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    I think Clay is so rusty that since he got a big play ball after not seeing it much at all, he just was not thinking about it.

The good thing about mistakes is you learn from them, especially the glaring ones. Probly not going to see that again and the rookies will take notice in the film room breakdown.

Philbin is a guy who see's the big picture and prepares his players week in week out. I think its becoming obvious in GB that they miss him.
    I was pushing for Philbin from the beginning and wanted no part of Fisher. I would like to know where everyone who said Philbin was a product of GB and not that GB was a product of Philbin is right now.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Since 84

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When is he going to step in for Carpenter.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinegrabber View Post
    When is he going to step in for Carpenter.
    Sorry man but I cannot take my eyes off the ass of the girl in the pink!!! That is as fine an ass as I have ever seen....seriously!!!lol
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Charles Clay is going to get his arse chewed out like no tomorrow for that little play. You saw Sherman tear into him during Hard Knocks, and it was probably like that AND MORE during Monday's film session. And I'm sure Sherman wasn't the only one to get on him about that. But if you watch Sherman's presser, he acknowledges Caly's mistake but doesn't necessarily tear into him publicly. Similarly, Joe takes the blame. Those kinds of things are meant to stay in-house, and that's what builds trust between players and coaches. They see that their coaches are saving them from public embarrassment/humiliation (which Hard Knocks didn't...probably why many players were against it). Get them accountable to each other, and treat it like family.

On a more specific note, I got the sense from the brief clips on HK that Charles Clay (sort of like Egnew) doesn't respond well to the chewing out. Some players feed off that, others need more of a "mentor" approach - hopefully Campbell can get both those guys right.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Leaders don't have to always holler and fistpump.

There's a place for everything.

Actually, he sounds like a baseball manager there, really.
    AND
    He uses what I call the "Derek Frosty" (The store manager when a young Goonboss
    had his first shot at management as a trainee.)

First thing he said was "Welcome to the Domino's Pizza Management Training Program.
    EVERYTHING is now your fault." I still believe that, and have adhered to that philosiphy
    at any leadership position I've ever been in.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Clay should've known better but I can also see how his instincts might have told him to get that first down at any cost. It's happened to other players before.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Clay should've known better but I can also see how his instincts might have told him to get that first down at any cost. It's happened to other players before.
    He probably thought he had it on the outside. He gets the first down and the game is over, even if he goes out of bounds to get it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well it was good to see him catch a few balls he needed that and we needed another threat sol now lets get Gaffney up to speed and Armstrong catching a couple and then we will be in business.
    Quote Quote