Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL.com, best offseason moves, #2 Phins hiring Philbin

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

NFL.com, best offseason moves, #2 Phins hiring Philbin

2. Miami Dolphins hire Joe Philbin

Miami owner Stephen Ross craves the big name. He wanted Jim Harbaugh to be his coach two offseasons ago, even while he was still employing Tony Sparano. This offseason, Ross wanted Jeff Fisher to take the Dolphins job, but Fisher picked the St. Louis Rams. So enter Philbin, a long-time, well-respected assistant with the Green Bay Packers.

I liked the idea of Philbin as a head coach, but not for Miami. I didn't think Ross would give him much time to grow, since he wasn't that coveted big name. I loathed the fit.

Ross has to like what he's seen since. I know I do.
    Though he's working with a thin and young roster, Philbin has been incredibly impressive, from the character he showed on HBO's "Hard Knocks" when he jettisoned receiver/clown Chad Johnson to the way he's developed rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Philbin also put together a good coaching staff, highlighted by offensive coordinator Mike Sherman and defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, whose unit has been strong and consistent all season.
    Philbin comes on SiriusXM NFL Blitz every week, and I appreciate his candid approach. He has challenged his "work-in-progress" receiving corps, which out-kicked expectations early on, and he's raved about the dedication and leadership of running back Reggie Bush.
    The Dolphins are now 2-3 after beating a good Cincinnati Bengals team on the road, and they could be 4-1, had they won close games against the New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals. The roster is relatively weak, but Miami plays incredibly hard for Philbin. He's doing a great job coaching. It won't result in a trip to the playoffs this season, but if the owner stays out of the way, the Dolphins can build something. I hope Ross is paying attention.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...writers_schein
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    If you ain't first, you're last!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    The biggest FA lose for any team HAS to be the Green Bay Packers. They severely miss Philbin's game planning.

Oh yea, and a big F U to those who wanted Jeff "can't do **** in the playoffs" "mediocrity" Fisher.
    "Fundamentals, technique, execution -- primary. Scheme -- secondary."

"We will incorporate an aggressive, up-tempo, attacking style in all three phases of the game."

"Our team will play with discipline, poise, and maximum effort."

"I want us to be the best tackling team in the NFL, the best team in pursuit, I want to take the ball away from other teams, I want to rattle the opposing quarterback every opportunity we get."

-- Joe Philbin 01/12

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    We Are Still Going To The SB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinatic1399 View Post
    I hate these backhanded comments. The roster is relatively weak, so Philbin is playing on the field on Sundays. WTF.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    I hate these backhanded comments. The roster is relatively weak, so Philbin is playing on the field on Sundays. WTF.
    I agree to be honest, the staff are getting the best out of a group of (overall) sub average talent/young players. Not easy winning games with a QB with 24 career games and 2 competent receivers.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    I agree to be honest, the staff are getting the best out of a group of (overall) sub average talent/young players. Not easy winning games with a QB with 24 career games and 2 competent receivers.
    But the quarterback knows the system better than the Head Coach. Tannehill has an advantage no QB, that I am aware of ever had. And that's the fact that he has learned and played in this offense for the last 5 years now. He knows all the checks, all the Hot Routes, and sight adjustments. He is also still with his former QB coach, O-Line Coach, and Offensive Coordinator. This same team did finish the season winning 6 out of the last 9 games. So, I would agree coaching is playing an important roll. But even Philbin himself continues to say that's overrated and it's all on the players. He keeps saying this time after time after time.

Every week I see the players making plays afters plays, we are currently in the top 10 in +20 yard plays. Top 10 in 24 separate categories. In my opinion that doesn't seam like a sub avg talent to me, but you have your opinion which I respect and I have mine.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    lol. Love all the sour grapes. "Ross covets the big name." Then, it goes on to say how he went out
    and aggressivly went after coaches who were or were arguably the best HC candidates out there.

Whatever.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    Mr. Ross needs to let Joe have four or five years to establish something. Philbin needs to be allowed to grow as a coach and establish a roster. Plus, Continuity is vital in the NFL.

The best thing we have going is the QB being tied to a HC. All the best teams have that.
    It's a rare coach that gets that long.

If you can't see rapid growth and improvement it's time to go another direction. Three years
    is the maxium ammount of time that should be allowed to show defined, measureable growth.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The ATL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    Don't think that was a rap against the team. Just a compliment to Philbin.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfanatl View Post
    Don't think that was a rap against the team. Just a compliment to Philbin.
    Yeah I know, but just trying to suck every bit of good for a few more days. lol.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    Interesting that the first point of the article was a model where a team can keep the head coach but change GM's
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I defecate on Adam Schein (after a big combo plate of Chimis and refried beans).. couldn't care what that jest homer thinks pro or con.

Quote Quote