Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade for Vontae Davis Looking Like a Bust More and More for the Colts

1. -21
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm always in the wait and see camp. And I'm not through waiting on this one, not by a longshot. But I'll always give our players and decision-makers the benefit of the doubt.
    Why so gloomy?
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Was supportive of the trade. Culture is a huge thing in the NFL. People always overlook it, but we had a few players who weren't getting on board. Vontae seems like a good guy, but he's always had concentration issues. If he played up to his physical tools in college, he'd have been a top-10 pick; if he did so in the NFL, he'd be an All Pro. You don't want two of your best players to be underachievers. It was a big deal to move Marshall and Davis - that we got 2 3rd's and a 2nd out of them, well, that's gravy.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Looks great now, but you have to question, how would he have played here? Maybe Coyle would have gotten more out of him

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Misplaced PhinFan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Live Oak, Fla
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Looks like everyone on this board including myself was wrong, and Ireland was right. Getting a 2nd round pick and conditional 6th rounder was a steal for Vontae Davis.
    Not everyone, I and quite a few others thought it was a good trade from the get go
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, everyone is different. He might be taking his brother getting killed a little harder than his brother. You could see from his "call my grandma" statement that he is a little dependent. Not saying it's an excuse for his play but some people deal with things differently. Maybe, maybe not, but maybe one day it will click for him. Or not.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Vontae has all the talent in the world, just a poor work ethic. During their 2nd year, Vontae was clearly better than Smith. Their rookie year was similar they just struggled at different aspects of the game.

I think something people don't give Smith enough credit for is during their 2nd year, he really struggled in camp and preseason and worked his ass off to get better. Smith has also gone from a horrible tackler to solid. Vontae just seemed content with where he was at.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You didn't hear me cry when his dumbass was shipped out. Admit the mistake and cut your loses, Jeff did exactly that.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Phantom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdrover View Post
    That's hilarious, how pathetic.

Where are all the Ireland protesters now?
    You mean the guy who drafted him in the first round? That Jeff Ireland?
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The tide has turned on Vontae. He prefers to continue to play on his talent alone and not work at his craft. Whereas Sean Smith has seemingly turned his NFL career around by working hard to improve his craft. I was a big fan of Vontae, and actually had bought his jersey, but, was not bothered by the trade that sent him out of Miami. Players come and go in this business and Vontae made his choice as to where he was taking his career. I've never really been a Sean Smith fan up until this season. Smith has earned my respect and Davis lost me has a fan. It's tragic in how a player like Davis never saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm just glad Ireland had the guts to make the call and trade him. At this point it really doesn't matter were that #2 pick from Indy falls as long as Davis isn't here to screw things up, especially when the team seems to be gelling like they are.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Looks like everyone on this board including myself was wrong, and Ireland was right. Getting a 2nd round pick and conditional 6th rounder was a steal for Vontae Davis.
    Not everyone hated the trade. Did I think Davis would be the #2 worst CB in the league with regards to QB rating allowed? (He's at 155.x, by the way) after playing 3 games? No. Do I think it hurts that he's in a brand new system? Hell yes.

Do I think he's better than Sean Smith? Nope. He's way too inconsistent. We brought in a guy just like him in Richard Marshall. Flashes great plays. Allows big ones at times. Physical, press cover corner. AND we got a 2nd round pick for the investment. Davis just simply did not develop. The fact that Coyle signed off on this tells you all you need to know. The guy is a secondary guru who turns coal into diamonds everywhere he goes.
    Quote Quote