Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greg Cote: A case can be made to defend Jeff Ireland

1. -31
    We Are Still Going To The SB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    And this post highlights my problem with this article. Because Ireland has handed out tens of millions to busts. They just didnt list them.

I didnt see a single mention of Gibril Wilson, Jake Grove, Justin Smiley, or others. He gives Ireland all the credit in the world(some undeserved like Philbin hire) but never once mentions his history of second round busts. I find it hilarious that 2 of the 3 pieces Cotes lists as "well we just need...." we already had but gave away. Saying we are just a wideout and corner away is laughable, because we wouldnt have those holes in the first place if Ireland hadnt created them.

If your going to make an article about "defending" Ireland, at least make it fair and acknowledge the failures as well as the successes. Thats all.
    Every team has F.A. Failures, every one of them, it's not just Ireland and the Dolphins. Bottom Line, his goods are going to eventually outweigh the bad. Only one other NFL GM's have more active drafted layers on NFL rosters. Stephen Ross is not a billionaire because he doesn't understand numbers, if a GM can make that statement, that's one hell of STATEMENT! Keep living in the past, because one day when you wake up the present will already have passed you and you might just miss the future.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ireland has plenty of misses - too many... but good coaching, mentoring, teaching and motivating has exonerated him on some picks that were on the fence including Misi, Odrich (heard Chowder raving about the unsung way he plays his position in this system), John Jerry, Rashad Jones, Sean Smith, and it looks like maybe even Nolan Carroll and Clemons might be heading in that direction also. Reggie and Wake were FA home runs too.. Dansby a triple

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the big mistake with Smiley and Grove was giving them as much money as we did. The 2 years we had Smiley, we had a very good OL when he was healthy.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo

Re: Greg Cote: A case can be made to defend Jeff Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    I wouldn't know who on here wanted him, I wasnt on this forum at the time but plenty of Dolphins fans wanted Flynn and were not happy when Seattle offered him a lot more.
    You make it seem like a majority or even large number were pissed that we didn't get him, which is a flat out lie.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    WHO?? Try 60%- 70% of this board!!!
    That's a flat out lie. Not just an exaggeration. A lie.

Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember a fair amount of people wanting Flynn, but those who did didn't really want to give him a huge deal. There were probably more than didn't want him though. (again, all you had was 2 games to go by)

But when he signed with Seattle, even those who didn't want Flynn took that as an opportunity to bash Ireland.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    HAHAHA, and it starts. Glad to see more people are starting to come to there senses..
    For me it has nothing to do with changing my views on Ireland, it has everything to do with the risk of losing Philbin. I bet that is a pretty popular opinion here.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    You make it seem like a majority or even large number were pissed that we didn't get him, which is a flat out lie.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

That's a flat out lie. Not just an exaggeration. A lie.

Yeah, aside from the anti Ireland Agendists, the prevailing wisdom was "if the guy who knew him best wants him, we do.. if not, we're fine with that as well. I suspect the half-hearted offer was a Philbin good will accommodation to make him look more attractive to Seattle so that they weren't the only bidders - or that we were going after TanneTHrill all along and wouldn't pay more for a short term stopgap.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    WHO?? Try 60%- 70% of this board!!!
    Um wrong.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    Every team has F.A. Failures, every one of them, it's not just Ireland and the Dolphins. Bottom Line, his goods are going to eventually outweigh the bad. Only one other NFL GM's have more active drafted layers on NFL rosters. Stephen Ross is not a billionaire because he doesn't understand numbers, if a GM can make that statement, that's one hell of STATEMENT! Keep living in the past, because one day when you wake up the present will already have passed you and you might just miss the future.
    You realize we have a losing record in the present, correct? Go back to the undefeated season of 2003 you predicted, or any of the other Superbowl Championship seasons youve predicted over the years.

Good general managers actually hit on large contract free agents from time to time. We've handed top contracts to the 3 i listed, Brandon Marshall, and Karlos Dansby. Of those 5, 1 has worked. Thats an 80% failure rate for top tier contracts, which sounds similar to his draft percentage failure rate.
    This isnt like Ireland was hired this offseason. He was hired 5 years ago. We have had half a decade to work with. His bad faaaaaaaaar outweighs his good. If the most powerful position on the face of the planet(the Presidency) can be judged in 4 years, dont you think its fair to judge Ireland in 5?

Now, i know Ireland has earned your undying gratitude. I mean, he was hired, so that instantly made him the best general manager in the history of mankind in your opinion. I get it. No matter what he does he will be super awesome because his title has the words "Miami Dolphins" in it. But heres my question: dont you think the next general manager will be just as super awesome as this one? I mean, he to will be the Miami Dolphins general manager, and thats all you need for them to be considered wildly successful.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo

Re: Greg Cote: A case can be made to defend Jeff Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Yeah, aside from the anti Ireland Agendists, the prevailing wisdom was "if the guy who knew him best wants him, we do.. if not, we're fine with that as well. I suspect the half-hearted offer was a Philbin good will accommodation to make him look more attractive to Seattle so that they weren't the only bidders - or that we were going after TanneTHrill all along and wouldn't pay more for a short term stopgap.
    Exactly. It's funny how a couple of loud mouth loonies suddenly represent the majority. It would be like me saying the majority think Ireland is the greatest GM of all time because a couple keep cutting and pasting pointless stats and touting him as the GOAT.

Quote Quote