Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Racism against Hartline?

  1. -11
    NYPhinzFan's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,378
    vCash:
    3230
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dude, it's not racism, it's just the way things are. If you lined up 100 black atheletes and 100 white atheletes to race each other, who do you think would win the majority of the time? Look at the olympic sprinters in the 100 and 200 meter final, they're all black atheletes. It's not being racist to say that people underestimate how fast Brian Hartline is because he's white, it's simply playing the odds, and the odds are most white athletes can't run the way Brian Hartline does.

    The only thing that kind of bothers me about the whole Brian Hartline thing is when they compare him to a receiver, it's always a white receiver; Jordy Nelson. Why can't he be compared to another productive receiver in the NFL, regardless of color? But, even that I understand because Jordy Nelson is also a white receiver who people underestimate his athleticism because of his race. Black and white athletes are different, that's just it, but to say pointing it out is racist, I don't agree.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    Dolfan5000's Avatar
    Mark my words, I'll get mine

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    3,738
    vCash:
    2042
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by travisg772 View Post
    They are quoting Devon Bess... Its not really raciest. Its like when you have a black friend and hes always like "man you white people are crazy" He was just saying "For a white guy hes fast" Well lets face it, not many white people are fast... Ask Usain Bolt.
    lol fail ^

    To be honest it's just the way things are not that I'm ok with it. Hartline wasn't on Ohio State's track and field team because people were deceived by his white person speed... just he's an athlete lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
    Writing good things about Zach Thomas is like writing good things about Jesus. I could write, but really every one knows.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    finfanaz's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2010
    Posts:
    850
    vCash:
    746
    Loc:
    Tempe, AZ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfan3431 View Post
    In today's society, its ok to be racist against white people, but god forbid you make a black joke and all hell breaks loose! Its just how society is, which is why we have such things as "blackpeoplemeet.com" and "BET", but yet if we make a "whitepeoplemeet.com" and "WET", well be shunned from society. ****ed up world man
    Black people and minorities have been oppressed by white people for hundreds of years (i'm white). And they still are today, look at how Mexicans, Native Americans, and even Black people are still treated today. White people DON'T need to have sites and TV channels like that. Although we still pretty much do, not sure what else you would call Fox News.. minorities don't watch that **** that's for sure.. White execs and politicians are still having their way..
    Last edited by finfanaz; 10-11-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    "Any ideology that fundamentally divides one group from another and prevents them from recognizing their common humanity is a problem" - Sam Harris

    Fin fan till' the coffin slams!
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    NYPhinzFan's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,378
    vCash:
    3230
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfan3431 View Post
    In today's society, its ok to be racist against white people, but god forbid you make a black joke and all hell breaks loose! Its just how society is, which is why we have such things as "blackpeoplemeet.com" and "BET", but yet if we make a "whitepeoplemeet.com" and "WET", well be shunned from society. ****ed up world man
    Poor example. Black people make up 12% of the population, to have forum where a minority group of people meet, is not crazy. Just like there's Jewish, Asian and Indian versions of black people meet. Having "Whitepeoplemeet" makes no sense when caucasians make up 72% of the population>
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    uk_dolfan's Avatar
    Super Donator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2012
    Posts:
    7,079
    vCash:
    16059
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by NYPhinzFan View Post
    Dude, it's not racism, it's just the way things are. If you lined up 100 black atheletes and 100 white atheletes to race each other, who do you think would win the majority of the time? Look at the olympic sprinters in the 100 and 200 meter final, they're all black atheletes. It's not being racist to say that people underestimate how fast Brian Hartline is because he's white, it's simply playing the odds, and the odds are most white athletes can't run the way Brian Hartline does.

    The only thing that kind of bothers me about the whole Brian Hartline thing is when they compare him to a receiver, it's always a white receiver; Jordy Nelson. Why can't he be compared to another productive receiver in the NFL, regardless of color? But, even that I understand because Jordy Nelson is also a white receiver who people underestimate his athleticism because of his race. Black and white athletes are different, that's just it, but to say pointing it out is racist, I don't agree.
    Its not just a matter of race at all. It has a lot to do with upbringing etc as well. I know plenty of black people just as slow as I am (and im pretty damn slow by any standards.) As I said in the first post, if I went on espn and said that RG3 was an accurate passer of the football for a black man I would have a media witch hunt against me. But you say something about a white receiver.. its all fun and games.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    finfanaz's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2010
    Posts:
    850
    vCash:
    746
    Loc:
    Tempe, AZ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Its not just a matter of race at all. It has a lot to do with upbringing etc as well. I know plenty of black people just as slow as I am (and im pretty damn slow by any standards.) As I said in the first post, if I went on espn and said that RG3 was an accurate passer of the football for a black man I would have a media witch hunt against me. But you say something about a white receiver.. its all fun and games.
    Actually, people say that about him all the time. Maybe not so blunt, but I always see references about him not being the typical "black QB" with the ability to be a "pocket QB".
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    uk_dolfan's Avatar
    Super Donator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2012
    Posts:
    7,079
    vCash:
    16059
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by finfanaz View Post
    Black people and minorities have been oppressed by white people for hundreds of years (i'm white). And they still are today, look at how Mexicans, Native Americans, and even Black people are still treated today. White people don't deserve to have sites and TV channels like that. White execs and politicians are still having their way..
    If this wasnt a sports forum I would actually tear this to pieces.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    MadDog 88's Avatar
    Teddy Westside

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    13,069
    vCash:
    27859
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfanaz View Post
    Black people and minorities have been oppressed by white people for hundreds of years (i'm white). And they still are today, look at how Mexicans Native Americans, and even Black people are still treated today. White people don't deserve to have sites and TV channels like that. White execs and politicians are still having their way..
    You got it right until the white guilt came out about whites don't deserve. Not true. The way to make up for the oppression is not by segregating but unifying. Can that be accomplished? Probably not as the lines of racial hatred are deep on all sides. But tabbing a month as Black History Month or Spanish Heritage month doesn't help solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    11,811
    vCash:
    6635
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Meh...........the whole "white" and "black" label thing is overrated. They are descriptors associated with genetics nothing more, nothing less. Are there dumb**** people who turn them into racist connotations, of course but I don't associate with those people.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    NYPhinzFan's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,378
    vCash:
    3230
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Its not just a matter of race at all. It has a lot to do with upbringing etc as well. I know plenty of black people just as slow as I am (and im pretty damn slow by any standards.) As I said in the first post, if I went on espn and said that RG3 was an accurate passer of the football for a black man I would have a media witch hunt against me. But you say something about a white receiver.. its all fun and games.
    I think you're extrapolating what you want from these statements to support an argument. Black people make up 12% of the US population but more than 75% of the NFL last I checked. The prototype of an NFL player is predicated on speed and athelticsm, especially at the skill positions. I'll go out on a limb to say that more than 90% of all the stars at the skill positions are African American atheletes. To take notice of anomolies like a Brian Hartline or a Jordy Nelson that can break into this club and excel based on their athleticism being on par with some of their peers, isn't racist, I just don't see where you're getting this.

    Black QB's for the most part weren't given an opportunity to play QB because most thought they weren't "smart enough" for the position. As more black QBs are given the opportunity and excel in the role, that stereotype has dissapated. It's not like noone gives white athletes an opportunity to play receiver, black athletes simply excel more in the position. So you're RG3 argument is apples to oranges, sorry.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Racism in Brazil
    By Miamian in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 12:06 PM
  2. Racism
    By Scrap in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
  3. Is classism the new racism?
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 03:20 PM
  4. Racism in Europe
    By PhinPhan1227 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 11:25 PM
  5. Wow...MUST be racism, huh?
    By Pagan in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •