Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Jim Turner appears to be a great teacher

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Jim Turner appears to be a great teacher

Looking over a few mock drafts and I have across two oline names that stood out to me: OT Jake Matthews and OT Luke Joeckel. Aside from being two of the elite tackle prospects in this year's draft, they were coached by our very own Jim Turner at Texas A&M. He developed two first round tackles, both of whom are probably going to be drafted in the top 20, for a school that hasn't been known to develop elite talent too often.

With a team as young as ours, with an average age of about 26, it is important to have coaches who are good teachers...Jim Turner is a great teacher, and our young line has responded to it.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Not Even Lazor Can Save Us

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Any coach who watches footwork with his face on the turf is pretty dedicated, imo.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    100%. Outside of the head guy and maybe Sherm becauseoof his relationship with tanne I think turner is the best coach we picked up this season. Its been amazing
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is that Marine Corps training background of Jim's. I liked what I saw in him the very first Hard Knocks show. Semper Fi Jim!

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, I loved him in Hard Knocks. I thought he was a tough coach but was able to relate to them when he needed to.

I think he's done really good work with Jerry, who during Hard Knocks seemed to be his pet project. Jerry has been a servicable guard so far this year which is a huge step up from what I was expecting. Jonathan Martin has also made a lot of progress from the preseason to this point in the season. And Pouncey is playing like the best C in football. I think you have to give huge props for Turner for some of the progress from those 3.

Jake Long and Incognito has struggled (Jake has struggled compared to previous levels of play), but I think Jake will get back to his previous level of play before too long. I like Incognito a lot and think he's a great teammate, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for a zone blocking scheme. We'll see, but I tend to think we'll need someone a little more athletic long term at his position.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistner10 View Post
    Yeah, I loved him in Hard Knocks. I thought he was a tough coach but was able to relate to them when he needed to.

I think he's done really good work with Jerry, who during Hard Knocks seemed to be his pet project. Jerry has been a servicable guard so far this year which is a huge step up from what I was expecting. Jonathan Martin has also made a lot of progress from the preseason to this point in the season. And Pouncey is playing like the best C in football. I think you have to give huge props for Turner for some of the progress from those 3.

Jake Long and Incognito has struggled (Jake has struggled compared to previous levels of play), but I think Jake will get back to his previous level of play before too long. I like Incognito a lot and think he's a great teammate, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for a zone blocking scheme. We'll see, but I tend to think we'll need someone a little more athletic long term at his position.
    I actually think Incognito has been one of the strongest linemen based on expectations and potential. Long has been okay, but you're right, hes not himself since all those injuries. Big decision coming in the offseason on what to do at LT. But Ill be honest, I wasnt a big Incognito guy coming into the year, but Ive been happy with him. The left side of the line has been especially good for run blocking.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Billk78 View Post
    I actually think Incognito has been one of the strongest linemen based on expectations and potential. Long has been okay, but you're right, hes not himself since all those injuries. Big decision coming in the offseason on what to do at LT. But Ill be honest, I wasnt a big Incognito guy coming into the year, but Ive been happy with him. The left side of the line has been especially good for run blocking.
    You should get the all 22 from nfl.com. Incognito really hasn't played all that great this year, which is surprising since I thought he was our 2nd best O-lineman last year. I wouldn't be too surprised if he picked it up here shortly, but part of me wonders if his struggles thus far are due to the new scheme which emphasizes more speed and athleticism over strength and size. I thought Incognito was great last year with the man blocking scheme and I don't know if he really fits this zone scheme as much.

Also, watch Pouncey. The guy has been a beast so far this year. He should be a lock for the pro bowl if he keeps it up.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When you look at the coaching staff, you've got this very even-tempered father-figure in Philbin, but down below you have a number of coaches and coordinators who are pretty fired-up, passionate individuals who want to make players better and who seem to really relish their roles. Sherman, Coyle, Turner, Campbell, Taylor, Rodgers - we all got to see them on HK and are now getting to see the fruits of their efforts. There's a definite buzz that these coaches are creating at the "operational" level of the club. At the strategic level, with Philbin and Ireland, things are much more measured and forward-thinking.

The one guy we hear NOTHING about is Ken O'Keeffe, WR coach and former Iowa HC. Even with the Hartline phenomenon, the lack of elite WRs, the signing of Armstrong and Gaffney, the cut of Chad Johnson... he hasn't been interviewed once.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote