Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stick Sean Smith at WR for a few plays..

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Stick Sean Smith at WR for a few plays..

Why not ? He was a former WR and knows routes. I understand he has been playing well and some people may not want to mess with that, but football is a game of fun, or it should be. Surprising a team with a play or two tends to light a spark for a team in the course of a game (see when Miami introduced the wildcat). Just have Smith line up at WR for 2 or 3 plays to throw a new wrinkle. A 4-wide receiver set of Smith, Bess, Hartline, and Gaffney. Tannehill will surely find an open man against the #3 or #4 CB of the opposing team.

Another thing I would like to see is Lamar Miller and Reggie Bush on the field at the same time, alla Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams on the field at the same time in 08 and 09. I know Lamar has trouble in pass protection but why the hell not motion him for pass plays, move him around., he's got tremendous speed and can catch the ball -- having Bush and Miller on the field at the same time was something I thought Philbin would employ as a wrinkle creating matchup advantages. Have Miller line up in the backfield off-set, then motion him in the slot area (or anywhere), then have him run crossing routes underneath killing linebackers wide open, and too late for safeties to catch up (like we see Hartline running across the field and catching passes just 3 or 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage while at full speed with room for YAC and some good gains). This is west coast offense 101

I thought Charles Clay would play better this year going into the season, was looking for good things from him. That was a really nice catch at the seam last week, maybe what happened later will light a fire under him. The dolphins, the way Tannehill is maturing, have the weapons to be a good offense if they utilize these players properly imo. I'm also interested to see what Gaffney will bring to the table in multiple wide-out sets.

But I'd love to see Miller and Bush both on the field at the same time for 6 or 7 snaps a game. You can motion them and cause defenses fits with matchup problems in the passing game imo - a linebacker will have to be on one of them. I also wouldn't mind seeing Sean Smith employed as an added wrinkle. Watching Antonio Cromartie, a corner with the size of Smith, getting wide open last week against a good corner (but Sanchez sucks and couldn't hit him), had me thinking Miami can use Smith the same way with his size (he'd be a big target for Tannehill, just for a few plays a week)

Am I crazy for this idea ?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I actually thought they might do that with him as a rookie a few times especially toward the end zone.

You're right the Jets did it with Antonio Cromartie. He damn near caught a big one on Johnathan Joseph or all corners (Pro Bowler) but Sanchez was a little off on his throw.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I actually thought they might do that with him as a rookie a few times especially toward the end zone.

You're right the Jets did it with Antonio Cromartie. He damn near caught a big one on Johnathan Joseph or all corners (Pro Bowler) but Sanchez was a little off on his throw.
    and there in lies the reason he is a DB and not a WR lol.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    BELIEVE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Golden State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    1972 Dolphins LogoSnakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Yup NY...there's a reason why CBs are CBs and not WRs. They can't catch the ball on a consistent basis.
    I just try to be myself, whatever that is. I don't think about how I'll be remembered. I just want to be consistent over a long period of time. That's what the great players do.
    -Dan Marino
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

We have loads of players who can nearly catch a ball lol
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Just think about it. Sean Smith is playing with high confidence, by FAR the most confidence of his career. Now would be the time to try this, let's use his confidence and abilities to our advantage. And Tannehill is brimming with confidence. So why not ?

The Rams offense is absolute garbage without amendola. The Rams have a good pass D and a couple really good corners. I don't want to take chances in this game with a close one at the end. Their FG kicker is the best in the league. I don't want a defensive slugfest. I'd love the Dolphins to employ some of these tactics I'm talking about for a sure double-digit win, so we can head into the bye week confident and feeling good about ourselves at .500, before going to NY to lay it on the Jets for payback.

I don't want to see the Dolphins outplay a team just to lose again, I want a good showing with a clear victory heading into the bye week, I think this is important for this young team. Take no chances and pull out all the stops imo. Have Miller and Bush on the field at the same time, getting one of them on a LB, and use Sean Smith with a 3 or 4 WR set to attack the Rams weaker #3 and #4 corners (teams have done it to us over the past few years so why can't we do this to other teams ? I see no good reason not to)
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    And then if Sean Smith gets hurt you'll be the first one calling out the coaches for playing him on both sides of the ball.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    no.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    And then if Sean Smith gets hurt you'll be the first one calling out the coaches for playing him on both sides of the ball.
    Nonsense. If you're going to live with fear then don't bother with football.

Deion Sanders was the best corner in the league. That didn't stop him from playing a more dangerous position, at punt returner all the time.. and playing baseball a whole other sport on the same day he played an NFL game.. and yes, he even lined up at WR a few times -- and he was far more frail than Sean Smith without his size.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Hah, that would be the down side.
    Quote Quote