Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Instance of Union Impropriety

1. -1
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Another Instance of Union Impropriety

And remind me again how unions are any different from special interest groups?

Another example of the whole damn system being broken

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Perhaps I'm just slow but is there something illegal about this?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fining people for not attending a political rally?

Don't know about you, but i don't see that as being very democratic. I can just imagine the railing if Chik-Fil_A fined their employees for not attending a GOP rally. Thats not democracy is it?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo

Re: Another Instance of Union Impropriety

My new job is part of a Union. It is the first time I have, or will once my probation period is up, a Union. And I got to tell you, the whole thing rubs me the wrong way. I haven't been able to put a finger on it, but I know I don't like it. And the people that have been there for years are brainwashed it seems. Because if you talk about a job that doesn't have a Union they instantly turn their noses up at it. It's weird.

Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Fining people for not attending a political rally?

Don't know about you, but i don't see that as being very democratic. I can just imagine the railing if Chik-Fil_A fined their employees for not attending a GOP rally. Thats not democracy is it?
    I'm not sure I see it as particularly democratic either but if you willingly join a group it seems to me you might be expected to perform certain duties even if you don't particularly enjoy them or be fined by that group. If you buy a house in certain neighborhoods, for example, you're expected to only paint your house certain colors and to maintain your lawn a certain way.

The agreement to join the union or the neighborhood association means you implicitly acknowledge your duty to act in a certain way, even if it would not be your preference under different circumstances to act that way.

Perhaps if there's a lawyer on the boards he or she can comment on it. But I can't see where there's an illegality at play, even if I agree with yours and DisturbedShifty's characterization of this sort of thing as distasteful.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 10-12-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Joining a union is supposed to be about protecting the jobs and wages of the union members. Actually taking money from them for not promoting the union agenda is profoundly wrong on so many levels. Using your logic, the union member totally abandons his right to any amount of self determination and should be fired if he even votes differently than his union bosses think he should.

Seriously flawed logic there my friend
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My thoughts on unions are well documented here, i believe they were needed...at one time.

I also believe many have no idea how many of them work, they are probably lucky enough to live in a right to work state.

I will be honest, my wife is now a union member, as she just transferred to a hospital job from her nursing home job, but stayed with the same outfit. Why they were not both union, i have no idea, but it certainly didn't change my opinion.

Almost all of our local unions wind up in some type of legal trouble, so much so even our local newspaper noted how much money they have cost the taxpayer.

I'm with you Mo.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Joining a union is supposed to be about protecting the jobs and wages of the union members. Actually taking money from them for not promoting the union agenda is profoundly wrong on so many levels. Using your logic, the union member totally abandons his right to any amount of self determination and should be fired if he even votes differently than his union bosses think he should.

Seriously flawed logic there my friend
    What's flawed about it? When you join a union, you agree to promote the union. If you have a problem with that, you're free to resign, though everyone's going to think you're an idiot because it's pretty clear what your duties are when you join.

Your freedom to vote for whoever you want and legal right not to disclose that vote is specifically protected by law. But nice try, friendo.

Try something more concrete than "wrong on so many levels" next time.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    What's flawed about it? When you join a union, you agree to promote the union. If you have a problem with that, you're free to resign, though everyone's going to think you're an idiot because it's pretty clear what your duties are when you join.

Your freedom to vote for whoever you want and legal right not to disclose that vote is specifically protected by law. But nice try, friendo.

I agree. We are posting on a message board about a football team. Member of that football team give up some of their rights when they sign their contracts. They are compensated by getting stupid amounts of cash. Hell, i give up some rights to post on this message board. Same with this case.

Its very difficult to get the context of a story from a 22 second youtube video. But on general principle, i dont particularly appreciate what they pulled. That said, i understand there is certain things they have to do to stay in the union.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

Free to resign a union? In what world? Have you had any experience with unions? I grew up in ow a union family, i know the good and the bad of unions. Taking money from you to protect your working rights is one thing, but taking money out of your families mouths if you dont promote a political candidate you dont believe in or even object to is theft and coercion.

Try something more concrete than saying people should be slaves to their union bosses. I doubt you would find the same rules applied to you at your job whatever that may be, to be as tolerable as you pretend to be here
    Quote Quote