Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Instance of Union Impropriety

1. -31
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Did I see that someone used the term "willingly join a union" in this thread? LOL at that. Most jobs that I know of that are union MAKE you join the union.

I've been apart of one union in my life; the cashiers/baggers union when I worked at a grocery store during college. I asked them if I had to join the union and they said "no, but we're still going to take our dues". Try working in a Ford plant and not join the union. Laughable.

Unions wield more power in this country than they should.
    Shhhhhhh....Walrus hasn't gotten to that part of the SEIU handbook. Thank God i live in a right to work state. I remember walking a picket line with my dad as a kid......great fun let me tell you

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    LOL yeah......maybe because there is no due process.....just the fine. How ya doing with that salting definition btw? Bet ya find that interesting
    Maybe if I had some respect for you I would look it up but honestly I don't.

Did I see that someone used the term "willingly join a union" in this thread? LOL at that. Most jobs that I know of that are union MAKE you join the union.
    That would be me. Yes, the jobs that are union make you join the union. Shocking. And if the job is union and you're not union they take the money from you anyway because they're bargaining on your behalf. Which means you're getting more in wages than you would have otherwise.

The point is that there are plenty of careers and places to live in this country that aren't union. So yeah, if you want to be in the service industry and want to live in Las Vegas... you will have to join a union. But there's no law that says you have to do EITHER ONE. It's up to you where you live and what you do. Take some personal responsibility for your career choices and where you choose to live, is all I'm saying. The information is out there. The bylaws are clear. Don't blame someone else because you didn't know you couldn't join the NYPD without being in a union.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

That would be me. Yes, the jobs that are union make you join the union. Shocking. And if the job is union and you're not union they take the money from you anyway because they're bargaining on your behalf. Which means you're getting more in wages than you would have otherwise.

The point is that there are plenty of careers and places to live in this country that aren't union. So yeah, if you want to be in the service industry and want to live in Las Vegas... you will have to join a union. But there's no law that says you have to do EITHER ONE. It's up to you where you live and what you do. Take some personal responsibility for your career choices and where you choose to live, is all I'm saying. The information is out there. The bylaws are clear. Don't blame someone else because you didn't know you couldn't join the NYPD without being in a union.
    You don't respect me? I'm crushed. And all i wanted to do was earn your respect. Woe unto me.......

And the "you can move somewhere you dont have to join a union to work" argument? Really? You just accept the intolerable and move on? I wonder where you would have stood during Brown v. BOE or the civil rights marches. "Oh hey, it's their choice to live in a south that represses them. They know what it is down there, they should move if they don't like it"

I had high hopes for you going into this discourse. It saddens me to say, you are lacking...........
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Fair enough. But unions still hold more power in today's society than they were ever meant to have.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

5. -35
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fair enough. But unions still hold more power in today's society than they were ever meant to have.
    You are 100% correct, if you go on open secrets and look at the top contributors to federal campaigns over the last 20 years, last time i looked at it 11 of the top 20 contributors were unions.

So i would guess you could make the assumptions at unions being the single biggest and most powerful special interest, but that is just my opinion.

What i hate about it is they try to classify anyone against them as anti-worker. I am a manager at a non union business, but rest assured i am "pro worker".

I feel workers should not have their rights trampled on, but let's be real here, unions are into so much stuff they shouldn't be and we even have to put up with public employee unions here.

My feelings on public unions? The same as FDR's, who is considered the father of the modern day labor movement...people don't like to discuss his feelings on this, because it doesn't fit their agenda.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Last edited by MoFinz; 10-14-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    lol @ using Breitbart as some sort of accurate news source. That's like a Dem using Mother Jones to back up their point.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    lol @ using Breitbart as some sort of accurate news source. That's like a Dem using Mother Jones to back up their point.
    ng

LOL at scoffing at the idea that knowledge is invalidated because you don't approve of the source. Of course, i also posted a link from CNN earlier today so how to explain that? hmmmmmmmmm

Just read it and absorb it or dont, but dont dismiss it because you dont like where it came from.

Quote Quote  

9. -39
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Unions have less power today than at any time in the last 60 years.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Unions have less power today than at any time in the last 60 years.

Quote Quote