Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NDAA: The Biggest Election Issue No One's Talking About

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Keep on carrying the water.
    I apologize. I forgot the smiley. My comment was more like a funny comment rather than a mocking of your post.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: NDAA: The Biggest Election Issue No One's Talking About

This thing passed in 2012 so both parties had to at least partially support it so I blame them both. I swear that I would love to vote out every sitting congressman/woman, the president, and clean house in the Supreme Court and all of the "Departments"! Washington is a cesspool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    American citizens on American soil can be jailed indefinitely
    Unless it was modified since I read it, this is not true. American citizens can only be detained indefinitely if they are NOT on American soil.

A scary thought still, but not what it keeps being made out to be.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Unless it was modified since I read it, this is not true. American citizens can only be detained indefinitely if they are NOT on American soil.

A scary thought still, but not what it keeps being made out to be.
    Splitting hairs while carrying water. Let's call it for what it is....a horrible bill that attacks the very foundations of our principles. Far worse than the Patriot Act that's for sure. A total attack on due process and the rule of law. And just like Judge Katherine Forrest said (who ruled the bill unconstitutional) "Indefinite Detention cannot be used on ANY of America's own citizens." She also added "In the face of what could be indeterminate detention, due process requires more."

[youtube]PZjXHjkzMD4[/youtube]

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    What do you mean, request? My understanding is he signed it reluctantly.

Anyway, I don't like the provision. At all. I made that clear.

But the fate of the law now lies primarily with the courts. Different lines of judicial thought are a relevant part of this discussion and one I was trying to engender, rather than just focusing on "woe is us with these politicians" kinds of commentary.
    He signed it reluctantly because he felt that the Executive Branch already had that power and that Congress was overstepping their bounds by codifying it.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Devin Townsend Project: Kingdom (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZjziohaPc
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    According to Carl Levin in the youtube video above. It was Obama himself who requested the law. The reluctance part was political drama.
    Says him. I've read it was reluctantly signed, as Valandui says (though I read for a different reason). Either way there's not a lot of clarity on it, I think we'd all agree. I haven't read about that aspect of it for a long time now so my memory could be foggy.

At the end of the day, though, "reservations" doesn't mean a whole lot. The bill was signed. Whether you give up a game winning touchdown by an inch or the guy walks in hardly matters.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Says him. I've read it was reluctantly signed, as Valandui says (though I read for a different reason). Either way there's not a lot of clarity on it, I think we'd all agree. I haven't read about that aspect of it for a long time now so my memory could be foggy.

At the end of the day, though, "reservations" doesn't mean a whole lot. The bill was signed. Whether you give up a game winning touchdown by an inch or the guy walks in hardly matters.
    When you combine that with Bush's repealing of the Posse Comitatus Act gives a lot of reason for worry.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Carl Levin a DEMOCRAT and one who's been around for quite awhile said so on the senate floor. Which really brings into perspective the political shenanigans Obama is capable of. With one side of his mouth he specifically requests this unconstitutional power. While with the other he portrays himself as this reluctant president taking away our founding principles with a pen stroke. Which is why I have no faith in his and the democrats (who all so voted for this bill) postition on basic human rights and civil liberties. You can't trust either side with our freedoms at all.
    Quote Quote