Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 picks in the top 96...What positions? What order?

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

5 picks in the top 96...What positions? What order?

Positions of need.

WR, TE, CB, FS/S, DE/OLB

How I draft:
    Round 1: DE/OLB
    Round 2: WR and CB
    Round 3: FS/S and WR/TE

Would love to trade down and get a 3rd 2nd round pick (although I think we'll be middle of the pack as usual). If we could trade down it would be good because of how deep the DE/OLB class is this year.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Round 1: DE
    Round 2: WR and CB
    Round 3: FS and SLB
    Round 4: WR
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like that the strength of this draft seems to fit Miami's needs perfectly. I'd say the three biggest needs are wide receiver, pass rusher and corner. I would get the pass rusher first as those guys are going to go quickly, someone like Jarvis Jones, Sam Montgomery or Bjoern Werner. Depending on how the draft falls, I might look to trade back into the first round for a corner, safety or wide receiver.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Really hard to say. For one, we don't know which of our own FAs we are going to sign..let alone other teams FAs. Plus its impossible to say who's going to be available where at this point. Anyways, I think WR, CB, DE, and FS have to be towards the top. Add in a TE and another LB as well. I think WR is our biggest need..best case scenario we would get a stud in FA and then we could afford to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round for one. Pass rushers are at a premium...but this class is stacked with them. We could probably get an impact player at DE in the 2nd. CB is relatively thin IMO...no Patrick Petersons or Mo Claiborns in this draft..but some solid prospects. FS has some solid prospects as well..especially 2nd-3rd round guys IMO.

Basically we have enough needs that we can take the BPA at a number of different positions. We need secondary help bad..but the priority is getting Tannehill more weapons. We are going to ride or die with him..regardless of an average secondary
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rd 1 Wr (Keenan Allen CAL)
    Rd 2 Wr (Tavon Austin WVU)
    Rd 2 DE (Brandon Jenkins FSU)
    Rd 3 CB (Terry Hawthorne Illinois)
    Rd 3 S. (Duke Williams Nevada)

That's how my first 5 picks would go.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: 5 picks in the top 96...What positions? What order?

If we could somehow get Werner and Jenkins from FSU, our D line would be sick for years to come. Add in a few receivers and DBs and we are set. Add some depth with bpa in the later rounds. Yahtzee!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiDolphin618 View Post
    Really hard to say. For one, we don't know which of our own FAs we are going to sign..let alone other teams FAs. Plus its impossible to say who's going to be available where at this point. Anyways, I think WR, CB, DE, and FS have to be towards the top. Add in a TE and another LB as well. I think WR is our biggest need..best case scenario we would get a stud in FA and then we could afford to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round for one. Pass rushers are at a premium...but this class is stacked with them. We could probably get an impact player at DE in the 2nd. CB is relatively thin IMO...no Patrick Petersons or Mo Claiborns in this draft..but some solid prospects. FS has some solid prospects as well..especially 2nd-3rd round guys IMO.

Basically we have enough needs that we can take the BPA at a number of different positions. We need secondary help bad..but the priority is getting Tannehill more weapons. We are going to ride or die with him..regardless of an average secondary
    There definitely don't seem to be many quality corners. Maybe taking a guy like Banks #1 wouldn't be such a bad idea. The team could still trade back in or see what pass rushers are there in round 2.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hard to peg posiitons, because you have to pay attention to who you're taking.

I could envision some scenario though where you're taking a look at a Bjoern Werner in the 1st round, then a Stedman Bailey in the 2nd round.

The unfortunate thing is the CB group has to be overhauled in the wake of the Davis trade. I don't think Richard Marshall is cutting it there longer term. You probably need two guys though I'm not sure if one of them will be a free agent and another will be a draft pick or they'll both be draft picks, etc. I would go for a free agent. Being honest. I have a lot of respect for veterans at that position because it takes a long time for some of these guys to get any good. Here's something I wrote on free agent corners:

Brent Grimes I believe is scheduled to be a free agent. That's an out-of-the-box, ready-to-play-right-now kind of guy that would give you at the very least solid play right away in Year 1 with the possibility of better than that in Year 2, as opposed to a rookie which you wouldn't expect that until Year 3 (if ever). Cary Williams is set to be a free agent and that would probably be a tremendous signing. Both guys would be "break the bank" signings, IMO.

Rashean Mathis would be a great veteran presence if you don't think he's done physically (he's playing well this year). He could play solid football for you right away. Chris Houston will be looking to cash in a little bit on his success in Detroit, although IMO he won't be a "break the bank" signing like the two guys above (he made $3 million this year). He's a great example of how sometimes you just need to be patient with corners in their development. But also perfect example of how even if you draft one destined to be good, that doesn't mean YOU will be the team reaping the rewards for that. You might take a look at Michael Jenkins if you think you can re-claim him and he's a guy that will be one of those guys long in the development but worth it. Tracy Porter is playing surprisingly well for Denver and should be available once again next off season. He struggled in the past, but see my overriding theme above about corner development and how it takes time.

At the very low end for impact guys, Brice McCain is available and he played with Sean Smith at Utah. Something about Utah's defenders seems to be favored by Miami, and he's good enough to actually play, not embarrass himself, and potentially play well. But I wouldn't necessarily be convinced we're getting better than Richard Marshall, with him. Guys like Sheldon Brown and Cedric Griffin won't look attractive because of their age and because you know at this point that they're not going to be shut down corners, but they could still be very solid players that hold their own on championship caliber defenses, and that's exactly what you CAN'T guaranteed from any rookie.

If we're talking slot corners (and that's been Richard Marshall's role) then we just played against a team that has a pretty good one coming up as a free agent. Michael Adams pretty much replaced Richard Marshall in the slot during the 2011 season, and I thought he played better. I thought this was the main thing that contributed to Marshall's move to safety. Adams has been hurt since the first game and that opened the door for hot shot rookie 3rd rounder Jamell Fleming to come out on the wing with I believe William Gay moving in to the slot. Fleming is playing well there, though Gay is not necessarily performing well as a combo player.
    In the Draft I don't have a solid beat on the corners yet. I've liked Terry Hawthorne but he did get destroyed by Quinton Patton. I think Darius Slay is a good sleeper. I love Nickell Roby but he's a junior so who knows if he comes out. Same with Carrington Byndom whom I also like a lot.

The Dolphins do need to start planning ahead a little bit at linebacker too. They can get cheaper at Kevin Burnett's spot. And of course a valid safety wouldn't hurt. I favor Matt Elam and Shamarko Thomas, among others.

Everyone will still be pretty obsessed about the WR position for good reason. I favor the aforementioned Stedman Bailey, Marquess Wilson if he comes out, Corey Fuller, Aaron Mellette, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter and Robert Woods...price depending.

At pass rusher I really love Bjoern Werner, James Gayle, Dion Jordan, Corey Lemonier, Morgan Breslin, Cornellius Carridine and Alex Okafor.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post

I could envision some scenario though where you're taking a look at a Bjoern Werner in the 1st round, then a Stedman Bailey in the 2nd round.

The unfortunate thing is the CB group has to be overhauled in the wake of the Davis trade. I don't think Richard Marshall is cutting it there longer term. You probably need two guys though I'm not sure if one of them will be a free agent and another will be a draft pick or they'll both be draft picks, etc. I would go for a free agent. Being honest. I have a lot of respect for veterans at that position because it takes a long time for some of these guys to get any good. Here's something I wrote on free agent corners:

In the Draft I don't have a solid beat on the corners yet. I've liked Terry Hawthorne but he did get destroyed by Quinton Patton. I think Darius Slay is a good sleeper. I love Nickell Roby but he's a junior so who knows if he comes out. Same with Carrington Byndom whom I also like a lot.

The Dolphins do need to start planning ahead a little bit at linebacker too. They can get cheaper at Kevin Burnett's spot. And of course a valid safety wouldn't hurt. I favor Matt Elam and Shamarko Thomas, among others.

Everyone will still be pretty obsessed about the WR position for good reason. I favor the aforementioned Stedman Bailey, Marquess Wilson if he comes out, Corey Fuller, Aaron Mellette, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter and Robert Woods...price depending.

At pass rusher I really love Bjoern Werner, James Gayle, Dion Jordan, Corey Lemonier, Morgan Breslin, Cornellius Carridine and Alex Okafor.
    Have you seen Adrian Bushell from Louisville yet at the CB spot? Athletic kid with good enough size (5'11" 185 lbs) and a great special teams rep (25 yard KR avg, 4 pass BRUP 2 FR 26 TAK). He struggled putting it all together and with maturity last season but so far this season has his head screwed on straight and has been playing relatively well. Seems to me he could be a steal in the late rounds and has great upside.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post

You mention Quinton Patton and then don't list him as a WR target for us? I think he's the exact type of kid that Philbin looks for. Good route runner, shifty, good yards after catch ability, consistent hands. I don't think he'll blow the top off a defense but he seems to fit the mold of a WCO receiver.

By the way I really like Okafor's length and speed at the DE position for us.
    Quote Quote