Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hoops scoops...at the bye offense edition

1. -1
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks

hoops scoops...at the bye offense edition

well here we are sitting at .500 at the bye week with a lot of upward momentum and solid play...let's dig into thru 6 weeks my evaluation of individual players coaches etc...starting with the o...once again i call em like i see em not gonna sugar coat anything for anyone...

let's start with the real reason for optimism with this team...the play of the qb ryan tannehill...all we heard all offseason and preseason was how this kid needed to sit and learn no reason to ruin the kid by throwing him into the fire...oh really??? still wish we had sat this kid for a matt moore or a on his last legs david garrard??? thank god the coaching staff got onions and decided if it's even or close to even we are going with the rookie top 10 pick signal caller...tannehill has been everything anyone could have expected and plus some...he's not only exceeded expectations he's blown them out the water...yeah the stats say he's got 4 tds and 6 ints and numerous fumbles but the actual gameplay says this kids a difference maker already...from the setting up his protections and reading coverages presnap to the chunk yardage in the passing game he picks up pretty routinely...hell i can't count on one hand even the force throws into coverage through 6 games...they're almost nonexistent...you want to blitz this kid and make him make quick proper decisions he gashes you like he did the arizona cardinals to the tune of 400 plus yards you want to sit back and make him have to take the underneath all the way down the field like cinci and st louis hey this kids fine playing that game...hell i haven't seen this kid rattled by anything yet...

accuracy on the move is terrific the knock on him i had in college was the play inside the pocket needed to be better ie the decision making at times was spotty and i didn't see much vertical over the top accuracy...well i haven't seen much evidence of either thing being an issue in the pros...the last 2 games tannehills took care of the ball taken what has been given to him and continued to make solid decisions in the passing game...tough as nails he takes contact and brushes his shoulders off...accuracy and arm strength outside the numbers terrific touch down the seam to loft the ball over defenders into soft spots back shoulder throws dropped in where you couldn't draw it up any better...pocket awareness and feel for pressure another plus...eyes downfield when on the scramble and forced from the pocket...check...and the scary part is the kids only gonna get better...surround this kid with weapons and let the good times roll...

reggie bush started out the season running between the tackles with patience and heading north and south...well unfortunately and some of this may be attributed to him getting dinged up with hip and knee issues that same reggie hasn't been around for weeks now...if the plays designed wide he's showed solid patience to let his blocking develop and find the lane before putting his foot in the ground and heading north and south but if the plays been designed to go between the tackles there's been way too much east and west and not taking what was given him...too much at times also stopping and reversing direction to try and gain the corner against a pursuing defense and too many carries for lost yardage...and when we are protecting late leads reggies still dancing in the backfield too damn much...in the passing game reggies still not being used enough given we have no real 3rd wr but i think that's something that will be utilized more in time...frankly thru 6 weeks if we are gonna get the dancing reggie that we have gotten lately i'd be hard pressed to franchise him this offseason...

at fullback javorskie lane has been solid...i've been a little underwhelmed at times with his lead blocking but the guy i think they want to emulate in green bay john kuhn isn't the best lead blocker but lane's shown off some terrific soft hands in the passing game and in space some nice acceleration for his size plus he makes the opposition as deion sanders would say have to make business decisions about how much effort they will put in tackling him...we can work lane in the red zone off pa a plenty and he gives us some short yardage inside running abilities as well...something we need...

up front mike pouncey has been terrific i don't think i'd take any other center over him in football...a terrific fit for this zbs he's had his head on a swivel...terrific feet terrific move athlete moves with the grace of a te able to get to the 2nd level and make sustained contact with ease when pulling able to locate and eliminate a moving target sits down well in pass pro tough as nails...in line straight ahead as a drive blocker he's moved guys off the ball...hell i think the kids playing at an all pro level...making our guard play look better than it probably is...he's a key core player for this team for the next decade...

at tackle jonathon martin started off the year a little slow in pass pro especially the first 2 weeks and whiffed on some things in the running game and rarely made contact when asked to cut block but there's been steady improvement there the last 4 weeks...game across the board has stepped up...better in pass pro than i expected at least lack of upper body strength not showing as much as i thought it would very smart pretty good feet technique looks pretty solid also...we haven't really protected him all that much either... like to see some more improvement in his run blocking on the right side but all in all solid play from martin...

jake longs play has been inconsistent imo through 6 weeks definitely not playing at the level his pay should suggest...i think he's been hozed on a couple bad holding calls but he's been beaten by strength quickness to the inside and edge rush speed more times this year than i recall...maybe the sprained mcl is not allowing him to play at a higher level...all i know is he's playing more like a $8 mil a year tackle than a $12 plus mil one...

inside at guard is where i see the biggest weakness in the olines play thru 6 games...incognito has been fine straight ahead when he can maul the opposition and play thru the whistle but he's stiff for a left guard with his lateral movements and quickness and he's been beaten on some things in pass pro where he's failed to pickup inside delayed rushers cause he hasn't had his head on a swivel...not to mention incogs seeming to get called for the majority of the penalties up front...i think he's been ok but not a high end nfl left guard...still don't see why he hasn't been moved to the right side but that's water under the bridge now...limited athlete for the left guard position...and i don't see how he fits the zbs

john jerry has had some issues dealing with quickness and lateral agility at times thru 6 games...seems to be off balance more than you'd like...but all in all considering where he was in camp to where he is now i'm ok with the 350 lbers play in a zbs...you can see that the kids got good feet and strength in his hands and for his size he moves well...just needs to drop some more lbs to have some of that quickness off the ball and laterally that he does possess

at wr brian hartline seems to be someone of late the opposition is paying more attention to...did a lot of damage early this season against bad cornerbacks which has him in some peoples opinions overrating his value on this next contract...take away the big games against the raiders and the musical chairs at cb that week and the white washing he put on william gay primarily in zona and you've got yourself a guy who hasn't really done much...against the jets and a solid cb with high end tools in cromartie one catch for 41 yards...against cinci 4 catches for 59 yards against the rams and cortland finnegan zero catches...that's not an $8 mil per year wr folks...and miami needs to be smart about this contract...with a solid slot like bess hartlines pretty much an nfl #3 wr who can make more plays when the opposition pays attention to another true #1...something this team doesn't have and needs...i don't wanna rain on the kids parade though he's been huge for us given what we have at the position to work with and he's run some solid routes and helped tannehill out a lot and with a high end nfl qb like i believe tannehill will be he can make plays and move the chains...but there's never gonna be a lot of rac there or red zone production...

davon bess is what he's always been...dependable to win against press in the slot with his short area quicks and lateral agility sure handed tough willing to catch the ball in traffic and make catches away from his frame...just lacks long speed which keeps him from being a consistent chunk yardage big play wr...that lack of speed is probably why he went undrafted...nothing that's gonna change there...but understands coverages and id's zone vs man and knows when to sit it down and carry his routes...

anthony fasano has been solid in all phases this year...hell he's the only te on the team i trust to block in line...i don't see how miami parts with him unless we are gonna ask our te's to play a much different game...ie not block anyone...he's id'd zone coverage and sat down in the voids in the red zone made plays underneath coverage all season and someone that tannehill looks to and depends on in the middle of the field...as a run blocker he's wrecked guys in some games at the 2nd level and also made blocks in space i didn't think he'd get to...i'll be shocked if he isn't retained...

which leads me into the underwhelming guys...charles clay step right up...i guess i should have seen this coming more given a complete position switch in one offseason but there has been a golden opportunity for clay to step up and grab the seam threat and big play need at the te position in this offense and clay has done anything but...what really shows out is the lack of awareness and identifying coverages in his routes...when he should sit down he carries the route like against man when he's heading down the seam against split safeties look he has to know that contact is coming in short order...i just see a guy that lacks awareness and comes off as not a very smart player for this offense...this option route system does charles clay no favors...maybe the kid needs time and will come around all i know is he's not getting it done right now...and he probably will get one more camp to show he belongs before they move on...and the damn drops...left yards on the field all over the place when they have gone to him...just shown he can't be trusted right now...and yesterday the screen pass catch and 8 yard gain...i mean where's the wiggle in the open field where's the setting up of the blockers and working off of them??? i just saw a guy put his head down go straight ahead to contact and go down...

daniel thomas i haven't seen those sweet feet for your size on display much this year...heck i haven't even seen you into the second level as a ball carrier i don't think...too much running into your own blocker at the los where you've read the block wrong and made the wrong move too much getting blown up cause of your pad level blown assignments in pass pro against guys you outweigh by 20 plus lbs...right now the only thing i'm seeing is how much miami needs a big back to go to in short yardage and goalline and nursing leads and to punish the opposition between the tackles and how little of that you are providing...there's been a couple nice plays against the blitz on screen passes in the open field but not enough to offset the fumbles and things you're not providing...

michael egnew...paging the really smart 3rd round pick with terrific size and legitimate seam speed so sorely lacking in this offense michael egnew...only thing i hear is crickets...and excuses

anthony armstrong??? pretty bad if you can't see the field anymore with this wr core...i guess those drops have you buried in the doghouse...is jabar gaffney gonna see the field??? or is he gone already and i missed it??? i have no idea...marlon moore belongs primarily on specials...but hey if janoris jenkins is gonna squat on that route for reasons i can't explain at least you caught the damn ball...(yeah i'm talking about you anthony armstrong)

i think mike shermans put a solid gameplan together each week...some would argue that we have played it too aggressive at times but i like seeing us finally playing to win instead of playing not to lose...having a qb that helps you look good like tannehill has to date definitely helps but i've seen some bunch wr formations to get guys off coverages and some intuition in the playcalling as the weeks have progressed...some craftily designed screen plays against pressure some getting away from tendencies by formation and personnel...i'd like to see reggie bush or a lamar miller more involved in the slot passing game as the 3rd wr to take advantage of matchups and i'd like to see some rub routes to get off coverage but all in all i'm pretty happy with shermans work...i'd also like to see sherman work in more lamar miller for reggie bush especially when bush starts that damn east and west dancing...

i'm trying to figure out why lamar miller isn't getting more run...his quick acceleration and balance and lateral agility is something we need to take advantage of...the only reason i can think is that they still don't trust him to know the checks and in pass pro at this stage but we need to get this kid on the field...he's a difference maker and offers big play potential that we need to take advantage of...he's got 2 weeks now to get into his playbook and be ready to contribute in the 2nd half of the season and if reggies not gonna be right it's time to give this kid more run and opportunity to show what he's got...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Good write up Hoops.

All I can say is, Duke Johnson > Lamar Miller. There is something about Miller that is missing, even at the U. He would consistently get 1 and 2 yards . . . and then hit the homerun to level his averages out. He is terrible in pass pro. He's a playmaker, and those are scarce on this team . . . but there is a reason that kid, with his homerun hitting ability was had in the 4th round. Hopefully they get him straight, because we could use him on the field more on Sundays. It is very telling when he got hardly any burn with DT out.

I thought Jake played well yesterday, maybe his best game . . . suprising because the OLine as a whole had their worst game outside of the Houston game. Completely agree at the interior Guards on the Line . . . their ok, but they certainly can and should be upgraded . . . although I have more hope for Jerry than Incognito.

Hartline normally shouldn't be getting Finnegan . . . that was a mismatch that St. Louis took advantage of.

Front 7, strength of the team and it's not close. Love seeing Misi and Vernon stepping up to the plate . . . our 2 biggest question marks going into the season regarding the front 7 was the "other" OLB position and the pass rush and those guys are making a difference.

Secondary is still underwhelming and a decent QB is going to pick us apart . . . that worries me.

Fields is a beast

No comment on Tannehill, his play does the talking.

Need another guy to step up on offense . . . like you I'm glad Moore caught the pass but he still catches it like he is raping the ball . . . not a natural WR at all . . . solid on specials tho.

Agree on Fasano as well . . . solid, very solid. I wish we had the 2008 David Martin to throw with him.

3-3 . . . I'll ****ing take it.
    Last edited by Kdawg954; 10-15-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    I just want to WIN !

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Dakota
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good write up hoops.

The only real thing I would add in the underwhelming section is Dan Carpenter. If he does his job, we are 5-1 heading into the bye week. He looks completely rattled, and you could almost see him breathe a big sigh of relief when he made his FG yesterday. His confidence is in the tank and a few more misses and he will be done, ala Mike Vanderjagt.

All in all though....This team, from the top down, has me feeling more optimistic about the future than I have in years.

Philbin and his coaching staff have been exactly what this franchise needed. We are one great offseason of FA / Draft away from really putting this team / franchise back on the map.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    carp definitely belongs in the underwhelming category...i just took that one as a given and i hate talking about damn kickers...hell this team would be 5-1 right now if he made a few more kicks in the clutch...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good writeup Hoops and thank you for understanding what most don't about Fasano.

Jones deserves an honorable mention at SS and Chris Clemons still sucks lol.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i have the d yet to do but i really like one safety and don't like the other at times...pretty sure that post route yesterday was against 2 deep which we go to almost exclusively at times and in 2 deep the safeties should maintain depth and converge on anything vertical down the middle well looked to me like reshad maintained depth to where anything down the seam straight or his side he could make a play on but once that post route cut inside to clemons side the ball was over clemons head...luckily jones ran down a REALLY REALLY fast runner in the open field...cause that looked like 6 after the catch...

my read was clemons got sucked up and allowed the post route over the top of him...just have never liked the way clemons plays the ball or the man in vertical coverage over the top...

anyways if anybody has anything different on that play let me know...i'll say this though when you look at the space jones allowed down the seam between himself and the wr i have a hard time believing that was jones in man coverage getting beat over the top...sure looked like he was expecting some help on the other half of the field given the space he was giving...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i have the d yet to do but i really like one safety and don't like the other at times...pretty sure that post route yesterday was against 2 deep which we go to almost exclusively at times and in 2 deep the safeties should maintain depth and converge on anything vertical down the middle well looked to me like reshad maintained depth to where anything down the seam straight or his side he could make a play on but once that post route cut inside to clemons side the ball was over clemons head...luckily jones ran down a REALLY REALLY fast runner in the open field...cause that looked like 6 after the catch...

my read was clemons got sucked up and allowed the post route over the top of him...just have never liked the way clemons plays the ball or the man in vertical coverage over the top...

anyways if anybody has anything different on that play let me know...
    Aaahhh reading the title of the post is fundamental lol. It has become clear to me.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm worried about this offense. Teams have figured out how to overload the box to stop the running game and have decided to take their chances man to man on the outside against our mediocre WRs. We've won the last two weeks but this has been the plan the last four weeks and every week we're moving the ball less and less and have only scored 17 points the last two weeks. It's a concern, imo. And it's not like someone's going to become a win WR on the perimeter to force the defense's hand all of a sudden. This is going to be the defensive gameplan from here on out.

Right now what's keeping it together is Tannehill. He's making better throws than the WRs are getting separation. But I worry about this as we get on into the season. At some point the defense will catch up to our short passing attack if we're using it as much. A corner or safety gets a read on a sight adjustment and steps in front of an anticipation throw and it's six the other way. Right now the only counter I see is to take advantage of the positional flexibility of guys like Bush and Clay to use more spread-type formations with base personnel. In other words, to keep the defensive coordinator from running loaded boxes and gap blitzes all game long based simply on who we have on the field. Thigpen as a combo RB/WR could be used in a more active role in the offense to that end as well.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I'm worried about this offense. Teams have figured out how to overload the box to stop the running game and have decided to take their chances man to man on the outside against our mediocre WRs. We've won the last two weeks but this has been the plan the last four weeks and every week we're moving the ball less and less and have only scored 17 points the last two weeks. It's a concern, imo. And it's not like someone's going to become a win WR on the perimeter to force the defense's hand all of a sudden. This is going to be the defensive gameplan from here on out.

Right now what's keeping it together is Tannehill. He's making better throws than the WRs are getting separation. But I worry about this as we get on into the season. At some point the numbers the defense just catches up to you. Right now the only counter I see is to take advantage of the positional flexibility of guys like Bush and Clay to use more spread-type formations with base personnel. In other words, to keep the defensive coordinator from running loaded boxes and gap blitzes all game long. Thigpen as a combo RB/WR could be used in a more active role in the offense to that end as well.
    boom that's good stuff...and i'm right there with you...teams loading up to stop the run and making us have to have wrs make plays on the outside...the one thing that i think migh help somewhat is unless i heard it wrong the rams have the top pass d in football...or they did going into yesterday...shocked me but that's what i read...solid corners though are gonna give us problems with just bess and hartline...

on d i think i see the reason this run d is starting to show signs of leaking...but i'll save it for the defense edition...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Great write up, a few points,

- incognito, im not sure about him (I confuse myself with this) I genuinely like the guy but I just cant help but think long term (even this offseason) I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced. Maybe its just the fact he has a habit of giving away fouls that clouds me on this.
    -Reggie isnt having great success as a back (which imo is due to how opponents are defending against him rather than anything he is doing wrong) but I think hes making a decent impact, especially catching balls.
    - I agree on Hartline, good solid player, will never let us down or lack in commitment, but he just isnt Elite and can't separate himself from elite defenders. This isnt a knock on the guy at all, I think for his talent level he has been terrific this season. With no third option Bess and Hartline really have it tough.
    - I think we are too hard on Jake, he has the hardest job on the O line and the only reason we don't praise him to high heaven is because of his own impossibly high standards. The guy clearly isnt 100% but I think he is doing a good job.
    Quote Quote