Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The FIRST most obvious sign of the PROBLEM!

1. -1
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The FIRST most obvious sign of the PROBLEM!

President Barack Obama earns a base salary of $400,000 per year. He is also given a few nice bonuses like an annual expense account, a travel account and an entertainment stipend. These fringe benefits bring the Presidentís total salary to over $550,000 each year.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...resident-make/

There can be NO rational explanation for this

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...er_654564.html

And a broken system only gets worse from here, Can we the people please get together and reform this insanity?

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't mind that salary for President. It's a stressful job, and you're always the enemy to half the population.

My issue is the lobbyist influence in politics in general. I imagine there are senators who are making 10x that after you consider the money "donated to their campaign" by lobbyists...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I don't mind that salary for President. It's a stressful job, and you're always the enemy to half the population.

My issue is the lobbyist influence in politics in general. I imagine there are senators who are making 10x that after you consider the money "donated to their campaign" by lobbyists...
    Didn't even read the second link did ya?

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Didn't even read the second link did ya?

That link described contributions made to their campaigns. I'm not so naive as to think every penny goes to the campaign, but that's a different animal than the literal salary a sitting President receives...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm more concerned about what politicians make after they leave. Especially individuals who are in charge of regulating an industry, and then getting hired by that industry after leaving their position. Politicians getting paid on the back end is way more costly to our nation than a $550,000 salary.

In regards to the $550,000...we are talking about probably the most stressful job you can have in the world. $550,000 (which includes benefits) is not an outrageous amount by any means. I mean you are almost working around the clock 365 days a year. Even when you're on "vacation" you still need to be briefed, and you're still making decisions. You need security the rest of your life. I just did a quick google search...there have been 20 assasination attempts, 4 killed presidents, and 2 injured. I believe Obama is the 44th President. So that means a little less than 10% of our Presidents have been killed. Talk about hazard pay lol
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The bigger problem is the other link, we should have publicly financed elections. It's crazy how much they are spending for our vote.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'm not even sure what you're advocating. If you're suggesting it be less then I think you're crazy. Marlon Moore has a higher base salary than the President of the United States.

As far as election spending; yes, it's a lot of money that could be put to otherwise more useful things, & it puts politicians in a position where they need to borrow money from corporations, & in effect be sort of a slave to their interests. Don't know how you fix it though. If you say corporations can't donate then private citizens who own the corporations will donate. If you don't let anybody donate, then only the wealthiest politicians have a reasonable chance at winning. Not sure what the solution would be.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    170 million in one month. for a job that pays 500k a year. thats a problem. i have no beef w/ presidential pay, especially when you consider the job. the amount of money generated and spent to secure that job? redonkulous
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't see any financial problem at all. Presidents make a ton of money after office starting with $199,700 (as of 2011) lifetime pension the minute the president officially leaves office at noon on Inauguration Day. But the pension is miniscule to the millions in rewards from the office in books, speaking engagements, etc.

Other benefits are a "transition expense" over 30 months...no more than $150,000 a year...a maximum $96,000 in salaries. A lifetime of free healtchare. Don't know if should be called a benefit, maybe a consequence of being President would be better for the minimum 10 years secret service protection and longer if Homeland Security thinks its warranted as well as free travel covered for him and 2 staff for things related to office.

Sure its a hard, stressful, underpaid 4-8 years but after this "internship", Presidents are set for life financialy.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepre...retirement.htm
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Looks like I'm gonna need a lot more spoons than i first thought
    Quote Quote