Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some stats through week 6

1. -1
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks

Some stats through week 6

Ryan Tannehill has a QB rating of 95.8 over the last three games (not the stupid ESPN QBR).

Miami this season is tied for ninth in points allowed per game with 19.5.

Miami is the best in the NFL on third down defense, where opponents only convert 26% of the time.

Tied for 4th with 18 sacks on the year.

Tied for 9th with seven interceptions.

9th in the league with six forced fumbles
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Statistically the Dolphins are also very poor in key areas. This is a passing league and the Dolphins are 27th in pass defense. Luckily the Dolphins have played some mediocre to poor QB's every week unable to take advantage. Miami's defense is bottom 8 in covering TE's.

Tannehill is 32nd in the league for TD per pass attempt.

This is what I just posted in the draft forum:

Our red zone targets absolutely suck. Hartline has what, 5 TD receptions in his last 30 games ? He is only decent when he has a lot of space to work with - working the sidelines, comeback routes, etc. The same with Bess. He's a slot guy and works best in space. Bess IS NOT OR EVER WILL BE a Touchdown guy. Fasano doesn't have the size, length, or speed to be a red zone threat that teams have to worry about. He is not an ideal red zone threat whatsoever. If Fasano is your best touchdown maker you're in deep deep trouble.

Tannehill doesn't have any talent to throw to when things get tight inside the 25 yard line. This is priority #1 above all else. Give the kid his weapons so this team can evolve to what the NFL is all about today

Again, let me repeat that Tannehill is 32nd in the league for TD per pass attempt. Yes, this is clearly Miami's #1 need. Real weapons for Tannehill to grow and evolve.

I like our coaches, but they can't turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad. They need some real talent to work with. Just like they can work with Tannehill more than a John Beck or a Chad Henne. Because Tannehill isn't a chicken sh*t QB like those other guys. It's the same for WR's an TE's
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Looavul
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The point OP is trying to make is that we are playing beyond most expectations and have some intriguing strengths developing. Remember this year was supposed to be a wash with tannehill wearing a baseball cap and absorbing everything; case could easily be made that he's already a top half QB in the league after 6 games. We will get him his weapons in due time (march and April 2013). And part of his TD:ATT ratio is due to our ability to run it in when in the redzone. I guarantee tannehill is not 32nd in leading touchdown-scoring drives.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fakespike View Post
    The point OP is trying to make is that we are playing beyond most expectations and have some intriguing strengths developing. Remember this year was supposed to be a wash with tannehill wearing a baseball cap and absorbing everything; case could easily be made that he's already a top half QB in the league after 6 games. We will get him his weapons in due time (march and April 2013). And part of his TD:ATT ratio is due to our ability to run it in when in the redzone. I guarantee tannehill is not 32nd in leading touchdown-scoring drives.

yeah but waiting to do it through the draft may be to late if he has to hold onto the ball to long (waiting on his receivers to get open) because we all know that Tanny isnt afraid to take a hit and will stand in there and do so, but what if we do wait andsomething happens , say a hit that ends his career ? and we could have (should have) gotten him some weapons this year , imo i could care less about draft picks if it leads to loosing my QB to a career inding injury , then those draft picks wont look so good if that was to happen huh? we know what we have ,and i say we need to acted NOW if we can , it just isnt worth haveing a franchise QB and NO WEAPONS FOR HIM TO THROW TO , and leaving him vulnerable to get exposed to getting his head taken off, i say the sooner the better .

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why do people get so excited about TD passes?? That has to be one of the most overrated, useless stats in football. People tend to lump TDs and interceptions together as a measuring stick as to are they positive or negative. They have nothing to do with one another. As the above poster pointed out teams that can run the ball would much rather run the ball in than have to pass it. A team that has balance will have much fewer TD passes than a team that is one dimenisional and HAS to pass. How is that some sort of knock on the QB who led the team down to get into scoring range??
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    Why do people get so excited about TD passes?? That has to be one of the most overrated, useless stats in football. People tend to lump TDs and interceptions together as a measuring stick as to are they positive or negative. They have nothing to do with one another.
    Don't be totally silly. Super Bowl teams in this era aren't littered with QB's who throw 12 TD's and 24 INT's in a season. This is 2012 where the rules benefit the passing game, not 1942.

You must have quick strike ability via the passing game for some easy cheap scores in order to make it far today. And you need the talent (targets) to get it done... along with a very good QB who is efficient enough not to turn it over via INT's often.

the Giants had one of the lowest ranked running games headed into the playoffs, but they had Eli and some really sick receiving targets. the Pats were not a ground and pound team at all. This is 2012, not 1942

There is no better indicator of top teams over the past 10+ years than YPA. No team statistic correlates winning % better than YPA. And That has to do with PASSING. Show me the top-10 teams for combined YPA for any given season and I will show you 90% of them were the top 10-12 in the league. Every single year the Top 5 and Top-10 teams in the league were filled with Top YPA teams. Not so with the running game (both offensively and defensively). They are all over the place, some at around .500. some below .500, including some near the bottom of the league every year

And you guessed it, the best YPA in just about any 'group' formula throw the most TD passes.

seriously can't believe you posted that.
    Last edited by Pinkboy; 10-16-2012 at 04:28 AM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Some stats through week 6

Quote Originally Posted by Greyboy View Post
    Don't be totally silly. Super Bowl teams in this era aren't littered with QB's who throw 12 TD's and 24 INT's in a season. This is 2012 where the rules benefit the passing game, not 1942.

You must have quick strike ability via the passing game for some easy cheap scores in order to make it far today. And you need the talent (targets) to get it done... along with a very good QB who is efficient enough not to turn it over via INT's often.

the Giants had one of the lowest ranked running games headed into the playoffs, but they had Eli and some really sick receiving targets. the Pats were not a ground and pound team at all. This is 2012, not 1942

There is no better indicator of top teams over the past 10+ years than YPA. No team statistic correlates winning % better than YPA. And That has to do with PASSING. Show me the top-10 teams for combined YPA for any given season and I will show you 90% of them were the top 10-12 in the league. Every single year the Top 5 and Top-10 teams in the league were filled with Top YPA teams. Not so with the running game (both offensively and defensively). They are all over the place, some at around .500. some below .500, including some near the bottom of the league every year

And you guessed it, the best YPA in just about any 'group' formula throw the most TD passes.

seriously can't believe you posted that.
    Say you have two teams. Both teams score 45 touchdowns. One team scores 35 rushing and 10 passing. The other team scores 35 passing and 10 rushing. They have identical records, and the QBs have identical stats besides touchdowns. Which QB did his job more effectively? I'm almost positive the point of the offense is to score, and the QB is the leader of that offense, so the QB must make sure the offense scores. That is priority number one of the QB to make sure your offense scores. Who cares where the scores come from as long as there are scores? I'd argue that both QBs were equally effective at their jobs, but one has the flashier numbers.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    what can BROWN do for you?!?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    KC, MO.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cap's shieldXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM from DisturbedShiftyTannehill 172013 Dolphins LogoDolphins Homer
    Statistically the Dolphins are also very poor in key areas. This is a passing league and the Dolphins are 27th in pass defense. Luckily the Dolphins have played some mediocre to poor QB's every week unable to take advantage. Miami's defense is bottom 8 in covering TE's.

Our red zone targets absolutely suck. Hartline has what, 5 TD receptions in his last 30 games ? He is only decent when he has a lot of space to work with - working the sidelines, comeback routes, etc. The same with Bess. He's a slot guy and works best in space. Bess IS NOT OR EVER WILL BE a Touchdown guy. Fasano doesn't have the size, length, or speed to be a red zone threat that teams have to worry about. He is not an ideal red zone threat whatsoever. If Fasano is your best touchdown maker you're in deep deep trouble.

Tannehill doesn't have any talent to throw to when things get tight inside the 25 yard line. This is priority #1 above all else. Give the kid his weapons so this team can evolve to what the NFL is all about today

Again, let me repeat that Tannehill is 32nd in the league for TD per pass attempt. Yes, this is clearly Miami's #1 need. Real weapons for Tannehill to grow and evolve.

I like our coaches, but they can't turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad. They need some real talent to work with. Just like they can work with Tannehill more than a John Beck or a Chad Henne. Because Tannehill isn't a chicken sh*t QB like those other guys. It's the same for WR's an TE's
    Well aren't you just ants at a picnic...

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beanh8er View Post
    Say you have two teams. Both teams score 45 touchdowns. One team scores 35 rushing and 10 passing. The other team scores 35 passing and 10 rushing. They have identical records, and the QBs have identical stats besides touchdowns. Which QB did his job more effectively? I'm almost positive the point of the offense is to score, and the QB is the leader of that offense, so the QB must make sure the offense scores. That is priority number one of the QB to make sure your offense scores. Who cares where the scores come from as long as there are scores? I'd argue that both QBs were equally effective at their jobs, but one has the flashier numbers.
    I think most of your posts are pretty solid, but this hypothetical is unrealistic and pointless.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

I'm very interested to see what Gaffney brings in the red zone. He's a seasoned, savvy, legit NFL receiver and just needs to get on the same page as the QB.
    Quote Quote