Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hoops scoops...at the bye defense edition...

1. -1
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks

hoops scoops...at the bye defense edition...

let's get right to it starting with the big uglies on the inside...

paul solia has been as advertised thru the first 6 games of the season...showcasing a nice short area quickness and lateral agility at 340 lbs making splash plays here and there vs the run for tackles for loss...allowing the lbs to fill and run clean to the ball...flowing down the los well to the ball pretty solid ball awareness and feel for the screen game...so much of paul solias game is about being at a good weight and paul reported at a solid 340 lbs and he's a key reason why this run d has been so dominant at times thru the first 6 games between the tackles...i'd like to see those splash plays in the backfield show with more frequency and some more pass rush from the inside with big paul but he's been well worth his $6 mil per year contract and a immoveable object for the most part on the inside...

opposite big paul is probably the defensive mvp on this team at the bye week randy starks...coming in at a svelt 304 lbs and playing like a dancing bear starks has been murder on the inside vs both the run and pass...showcasing nice hand usage short area quickness and lateral agility to shoot gaps and a burst to split defenders starks at this terrific weight has not only gotten to the qb and forced pressures but he's also closed the deal once he gets there...easily one of the most productive inside pass rushers in the game this year he's beating guys at the los and getting his arm and shoulder through so much that guys when beat are resorting to grabbing and riding him by the face mask to try and keep the qb clean...flowing down the los with cat quick reflexes and ball awareness randy starks has been a man on a mission...at times the only guy i've seen be more dominant in football on the inside has been jj watt who's playing at a rediculous level...

at end the other guy i think who is closing the gap and starting to maybe give starks a run for his money as the dmvp is cameron wake...only reason i think right now i'd still go with starks is wake has feasted on in recent weeks some pretty low caliber right tackles but at least now he's getting actual sack results instead of just pressures and qb hits like seemed to plague him early in the season...fellas that ankle flexion ability to bend flatten out and turn the corner while so damn low and still maintain balance and explosion from a pretty much on the ground position that he showed on that sack sunday of bradford was just special...period...it's a damn joke that this guy hasn't been voted a top 100 player by his peers yet a damn shame...vs the run wake has held up very well setting the edge and forcing things wide...this is no one trick pony folks...this is a premium all around nfl defensive end...sacks pressures qb hits and holding calls which guys still seem to get away with a lot more than they should with cam wake this guys the goods...

jared odricks taking some heat for his lack of pass rush as a 43 end but he's been about as good as they come out there vs the run...stout at the poa showing off stack and shed skills and always around the ball and the action flowing down the los when the plays away from him in case of the cutback and closing on the ballcarrier in the open field...not giving us much bang for our buck at end in the pass rush just doesn't possess high end rush tools and arsenal in space like he does inside a phone booth odrick is most effective pass rush wise when he is shifted inside in the nickle and can show off that hand use and quickness off the ball to get in the backfield...that pee wee herman dance is awesome also...odricks underappreciated...he's a better football player than kendall langford was when he was here and has more pass rush skills than langford ever has...but ideally he's a 43 dt...and if starks leaves i'd plug him in his role in a nanosecond...

derrick shelby when he has gotten run has been solid in all phases...from defeating tackles and te's and forcing things wide at the los to showing off some ability to get pressure in the backfield shelby is one to watch going forward...very impressed with this udfa find...one thing that does show to me though is as a pass rusher while he can force the qb to leave the pocket he lacks the run down acceleration and speed to close on the play and as such i think his impact as a pass rusher unless he's after a stationary target is gonna be somewhat limited...i don't see high end rush tools and burst...anyways we'll see how this kid develops...early signs very encouraging...

olivier vernon started out failing to make much of any impact as a guy that came in on 3rd downs as a pass rusher and spelled the starters on early downs...frankly i was pretty darn dissappointed...everything seemed to be speed to power with his rush...wasn't redirecting back inside to get off blocks and disengage was just trying to go through everyone on every snap and at this level you got to bring more to the table to make hay...most impact i saw was on specials...well of late olivier vernon has come on...it started with the zona game where i admittedly skeptical of what i saw and probably a little bit still now even saw a couple really poor ot's that guys like vernon and misi were taking advantage of...it continued the following week against cinci where i felt vernon had some solid production plays not waste downs...well this week against the rams vernon made a major impact vs the run and pass...forget about the agap blitz with reshad jones where vernon was clean to the ball that's more about coming free and clean to the ball lots of guys can do that although vernon showed off some nice burst some nice ability to close and the ability to finish something i like seeing he has the ability to do let's talk about the way he got off blocks at the los and made tackles on the edge by tackling the hips with proper form and technique or how he redirected back inside after his initial rush was negated and found work and the sack after disengaging for another big stop...i've been encouraged the last few weeks with vernons play but i have to wonder if a lot of it has to do with bad tackles...i know one thing at minimum he's earned more snaps and chances to show what he can do...

kheeston randall has played here and there and while i haven't seen anything awe inspiring yet i can't say that i've looked at him being in the game as a negative thing either...just not enough snaps and opportunity yet for me even to try and say what i think if his play yet...to be continued

tony mcdaniel...ehhh...$4 mil a year and we're not getting anywhere near that return...that's not to say that i think he hasn't played some solid snaps but due to injury and probably better depth around him his plays have been few and far between...seems to be working his way into the rotation more now though so i'll give it some time...just seems like for the snap count we get from him that $4 mil could have been better suited elsewhere...but you also can never have enough versatile dt's i guess...

at lb i've already talked about koa misi and how key his strength at the poa has been to date and how much it was needed in this lb core...misis also of late shown some ability to get to the qb and apply pressure...but it looks to me like on the edge it's all bullrush or nothing what he's gonna give you...i'd like to see us blitz him more thru gaps up the middle and i think it's probably coming in short order...anyways he's been every bit what any of could has asked for making a switch to lb...the one thing i do notice is he still gets confused with coverage assignments and takes false steps against play action and that's probably not gonna change any time soon...but with more snaps and familiarity and playing in space the better he's gonna get...high 2nd round pick looks a whole lot more well spent these days i know that much...

karlos dansby came into camp in terrific shape and he's been flying all over the field...you don't like that $11 mil cap number i hear ya but blame free agency for it not karlos...get off his case...he's been terrific as a 43 mike...people have to understand that when you sell out to stop the run as much as we have with the front 7 at times this season while dropping your safeties deep in 2 deep looks teams are gonna make plays against you in the intermediate areas with the te's and backs out of the backfield...dansby has shot gaps particulary in the tight red zone and sniffed out would be touchdown runs with impact tackles and shown very good instincts...take that guy out of this d and mike backer is a major hole...i'll take a in shape karlos dansby any day all day...it's not easy covering all those backs in the middle of the field with two way goes either and dansby limits the exposure there also...

kevin burnett started out 2012 like he started 2011 slow...but like 2011 he's steadily picked up his play of late...pretty solid in coverage filling gaps like he's supposed to and running clean to the ball well...i've got no real issue with any of these lbs play to date...would be nice to get some impact hits forced fumbles or have a guy drop under a throwing lane for a pick but we'll see what happens the next 10 weeks...

jason trusnick if you are gonna have to play in the base d at times can you please get off a block at least once???

sean smith has had a very solid 6 weeks...already said at length how he's playing short in cutting quick hitters much better than ever before...feet look better technique looks better...just looks like a different player...you play larry fitz aj green and andre johnson the way smith played them this year and it's hard to take issue with a guys play...that said i felt like against the rams week 6 he had his worst game of the season...some of that was coverage dictated in the way we lined him up and some of that was smith just losing in one on ones on the outside against guys a player looking for a $10 mil per pay day should lock down...let's hope that was just a mirage...

nolan carroll looks like he is finally trusting his tools...i see a guy who trust himself more this year...that's not to say that he doesn't have a ways to go cause he does the next step being instead of just playing the man having the awareness to play the ball and the man and a feel for what's coming but he's come a long ways in my eyes and i see no reason that as he gets more comfortable he can't ascend further...if he starts playing the man and the ball and showing better awareness we will have us a very solid starting nfl cb...he's made for the boundary...

richard marshall ehh...i've been underwhelmed...lacking ball awareness and getting his head around in vertical coverage when he has played and not really showing me anything all exciting in the slot...ball skills seem to be there though when he sees it...but needs to playe with better awareness and find the ball on plays down the field...i'd like to see some more physicality at the los to reroute guys and get them off their preferred route down the field...put that physicality and strength to good use

jimmy wilson i said it earlier saying it now for what they have asked him to do ie gain weight and muscle to play safety in the offseason to oh now you're our nickle slot cb and you're gonna face the oppositions most quick twitch and best feet guys with two way goes he's faired pretty well...has closed some of that tendency to play too far off allowing for quick inside short hitters and easy pitch and catch plays seems to be playing with more confidence as the season progresses...but i look for the opposition to really test him going forward...my guess is he's been dropping weight since they told him of the switch to gain some of that flexibility and burst back both of which he needs on the inside...

at safety reshad jones has been impressive...from running down guys in the open field with that terrific quick acceleration to laying wood at the los and being a sure tackler...it's hard to argue with anything in this kids play...better angles better awareness better maintaining responsibilities in coverage ball skills starting to show...just needs more time...tough as nails....thats a keeper starting safety

chris clemons i can't really say has dissappointed me cause he's been pretty much what i thought he was all along...lost on anything over his head doesn't show a real feel for the passing game and solid on anything in front of him provided he doesn't have to make cuts in space on the way there...awful hips any time a guy has a two way go he's toast...very straight linish...seems like we are starting to depend on him in coverage at the los against inside pass receiving options more than i'd like just a matter of time imo before teams start attacking it... just how i see it with chris clemons...bad hips bad awareness and ball skills lacks instincts can't play the ball over his head...wash...rinse...repeat

kevin coyle i've been pleasantly surprised with his game plan and scheme...if we're not getting pressure from the front 4 he dials up some lb and safety blitzes...it's hard to argue with the way his unit has defended the run and the success we've had in 2 deep as far as limiting vertical plays and we've been as stout as they come once the opposition enters the red zone in keeping them out of the endzone...i've seen some lb blitzes designed to take away the help pass pro player so that cam wake has clean one on one looks on the outside to exploit...i like the aggressive mindset...only thing i don't like is when we are nursing leads late i see a tendency to get conservative and get away from what got you there in the first place and play not to lose instead of play to win on defense...go with what got you there...one other thing i'll be real surprised if in all these 2 deep man under looks the opposition doesn't start running everyone vertical forcing our safeties to drop and the coverage players backs to the ball in man across the board and qbs don't start gashing us with their legs especially the athletic ones in short order...it's just too much of a tendency in our defense for people not to start coming up with new ways to exploit it
    Last edited by hooshoops; 10-16-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Another incredible write up Hoops.

Respect your view on it to bro.

Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks Hoops, pretty much agree on everything...
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    clark griswald

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MI
    Thanks / No Thanks
    wow thanks for the insight! this really helps me understand what we have in the trenches. the secondary is playing surprisingly well too. i hope other teams have a tough time figuring us out
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    hoops - What position on the defense do you think should be our main priority next off season? A replacement for Clemons? Another pass rusher? Another starting CB?
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    thanks hoops.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    hoops - What position on the defense do you think should be our main priority next off season? A replacement for Clemons? Another pass rusher? Another starting CB?
    Pass rusher defensive end has got to be a premium and since we only have one stud in C Wake then that would be well served to use the first pick on. Cornerback should be a priority in the second round if the right guy is there and somehow a WR is the running also. Safety could be addressed with players already on the team or FA as they usually cheaper to sign than these other positions. But safety should be addressed followed by some depth at linebacker for now and the guard position if possible.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Just a thought. I would let this thread stay in the main for a bit before stickied. Most people don't check out the top of the page as shown by the number of views. This is good stuff and shouldn't be lost due to lack of views. You know it'll get plenty of responses early on so keep it near the top of the main to begin with.

Just my opinion.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice write up.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    Just a thought. I would let this thread stay in the main for a bit before stickied. Most people don't check out the top of the page as shown by the number of views. This is good stuff and shouldn't be lost due to lack of views. You know it'll get plenty of responses early on so keep it near the top of the main to begin with.

Just my opinion.
    it's either that or many people don't care for my analysis...ha ha all i know is i barely press the send button and the things are stickied...might draw some more discussion if it got some run on the main...

hey harry how bout what i told you about that scary backup only in name rb for the rams richardson i think his name is??? that kid can play huh??? no wonder the rams are gonna let s jax walk after the season...that game played out pretty much like i expected...other than the fact we couldn't run the ball against em...that was a shocker
    Quote Quote