Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 Important Economic Questions For The Presidential Debate!

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post
    Well I am glad to see that last three posters have bought into the narrative of Romney as the "evil rich man" with evil "rich man friends".

The man is successful in business, and knows how to balance the books. He's taken situations that have looked bleak, and turned it around on numerous occasions (winter Olympics/ Mass.). He's reached across the aisle to get things done, and his track record speaks for itself. You may nitpick as to the details, but Romney is results orientated, and he follows through with action and conviction.

I don't know how many times Romney has to explain his plan, and some of you people still don't get it. He's not raising taxes on anyone, but he's simply getting rid of the massive amount of exemptions that corporations have been entitled to over the years. In other words, he's leveling the playing field so politicians can't continue their crony capitalism and create sweetheart deals through their legislation.

A lot of that money, in turn, goes back to supporting the corrupt politicians that got the sweetheart deal in the first place (see lobbyists). Everyone is going to have to abide by the same rules, and contribute to the economy and not influencing government.

By the way I hear that that top 20% of earners pay roughly 92% of all taxes. I think the wealthy in this country contribute a lot more than you give them credit for, and if the rest of the country could get back to work they too can start contributing more as well. We need to get people off of social welfare programs, and start relying on their own work ethic. More people work means more people paying taxes, which get this country going in the right direction again.
    All I said was that Romney stated he would not lower taxes for the rich, yet he will eliminate the tax on interest, dividends, and capital gains. If you think the elimination of tax on interest and dividends benefits the local teacher, cop, or any other middle class citizen then you are sadly mistaken. I'm not calling the evil rich. I'm just pointing out that he basically contradicted himself in the span of 10 seconds in the debate.

As for the 20% of earners paying 92% of taxes....I find this hard to believe, but even if it was true, you forgot to include what percentage of income the top 20% makes.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    DRAGONBORN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hallandale, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mitt Romney is 100% correct when he says that income inequality is nothing more than financial envy from those who have less. That's very spot on. Poor people always complain that they have less than those of us who go out and EARN what we earn. No one ever handed me anything. I worked to get where I am. You poors should try it sometime. How many times do you see a superstar athlete get a big contract and some of you complain about how much he got. The rich don't pay enough taxes is laughable. I bet if you could see how much the rich pay in taxes each year and understood something beyond big numbers and small numbers you'd think a little differently about this issue. Why should I have to pay more because you don't work as hard.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    DRAGONBORN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hallandale, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    All I said was that Romney stated he would not lower taxes for the rich, yet he will eliminate the tax on interest, dividends, and capital gains. If you think the elimination of tax on interest and dividends benefits the local teacher, cop, or any other middle class citizen then you are sadly mistaken. I'm not calling the evil rich. I'm just pointing out that he basically contradicted himself in the span of 10 seconds in the debate.

As for the 20% of earners paying 92% of taxes....I find this hard to believe, but even if it was true, you forgot to include what percentage of income the top 20% makes.
    The top 20% earners make roughly $99,000 per year.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    Something no one wants to hear: we are likely to see a new normal in unemployment numbers, trending upwards. More and more low wage jobs are going to disappear even as the economy recovers. Retail stores are going to keep closing because of the increasing power of online shopping, which doesn't employ nearly as many people. The astronomical increases in upper-class wages will only increase the divide. Six dollar a gallon gasoline won't help, either. We are likely to see a European-Japanese style of high single digit unemployment for long periods of time. Like it or not, welfare programs will have to increase, and morally, the rich who helped lead to this situation should pay more to fund it.
    Was that a typo? The trend is the reverse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...ml?ir=Business

Obama 'Good-Paying' Jobs Claim At Odds With His Record

President Barack Obama made a strong case during Tuesday night's debate for how his administration would create "not just jobs," but "good-paying jobs." Obama said the jobs would be founded on the advanced manufacturing projects and education initiatives he would enact in a second term.

But Obama's record on high-paying jobs leaves much to be desired.

A recent study from the National Employment Law Project revealed that about 60 percent of the jobs created since the start of the Great Recession in 2008 were low-wage jobs. By comparison, most of the jobs lost during the same period were middle-wage jobs, the kind Obama was likely referring to when he spoke of "good-paying jobs
    ."
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Was that a typo? The trend is the reverse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...ml?ir=Business

."
    There are still many types of traditional low-wage jobs that are going to disappear, mostly in the retail/service industry.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    There are still many types of traditional low-wage jobs that are going to disappear, mostly in the retail/service industry.
    I think the low wage jobs will continue to increase especially if the flow of job outsourcing is not stopped. The reason why companies send jobs overseas is not to pay less on low wages but to pay less on manufacturing jobs which usually compromises the middle class. Those kicked out of the job forcew will be forced to start selling the stuff they used to build but now being done overseas.

If Romney is elected President you can see a wipe out of the middle class in 4 years.
    Quote Quote