Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drone Strikes Killing 1 Terrorist to 49 Civilians

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Drone Strikes Killing 1 Terrorist to 49 Civilians

Just one in 50 victims of America’s deadly drone strikes in Pakistan are terrorists – while the rest are innocent civilians, a new report claimed today.
    The authoritative joint study, by Stanford and New York Universities, concludes that men, women and children are being terrorized by the operations ’24 hours-a-day’.

And the authors lay much of the blame on the use of the ‘double-tap’ strike where a drone fires one missile – and then a second as rescuers try to drag victims from the rubble. One aid agency said they had a six-hour delay before going to the scene.

The tactic has cast such a shadow of fear over strike zones that people often wait for hours before daring to visit the scene of an attack. Investigators also discovered that communities living in fear of the drones were suffering severe stress and related illnesses. Many parents had taken their children out of school because they were so afraid of a missile-strike.

Today campaigners savaged the use of drones, claiming that they were destroying a way of life.

Clive Stafford Smith, director of the charity Reprieve which helped interview people for the report, said: ‘This shows that drone strikes go much further than simply killing innocent civilians. An entire region is being terrorised by the constant threat of death from the skies.

There have been at least 345 strikes in Pakistan’s tribal areas near the border with Afghanistan in the past eight years.

'These strikes are becoming much more common,' Mirza Shahzad Akbar, a Pakistani lawyer who represents victims of drone strikes, told The Independent.

'In the past it used to be a one-off, every now and then. Now almost every other attack is a double tap. There is no justification for it.'

The study is the product of nine months' research and more than 130 interviews, it is one of the most exhaustive attempts by academics to understand – and evaluate – Washington's drone wars.

Despite assurances the attacks are 'surgical', researchers found barely two percent of their victims are known militants and that the idea that the strikes make the world a safer place for the U.S. is 'ambiguous at best'.

Researchers added that traumatic effects of the strikes go far beyond fatalities, psychologically battering a population which lives under the daily threat of annihilation from the air, and ruining the local economy.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz27UfJxG5p
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    drones have a purpose, and a good one at that.

this ain't it

good post

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is concluded based on 130 interviews. I find this a little bit of a stretch on stats, I'm never going to advocate the killing of innocent civilians but I find it hard to believe the ratio is 1:49 bad to good. If you told me it was 3:2 I might believe the study but I also have to ask about the accuracy interviewees.

What's the best way to stop something that is not wanted in war? Spin it as unjustified killing. It is time for the US to just leave, if the people of the region want to be free of warlord rule, let them fight for their own freedoms.

But they won't fight and when the US leaves (and it won't) it will revert back to rule by terror so here we are in a endless cycle of is it right or wrong to be there anymore.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    This is concluded based on 130 interviews. I find this a little bit of a stretch on stats, I'm never going to advocate the killing of innocent civilians but I find it hard to believe the ratio is 1:49 bad to good. If you told me it was 3:2 I might believe the study but I also have to ask about the accuracy interviewees.

What's the best way to stop something that is not wanted in war? Spin it as unjustified killing. It is time for the US to just leave, if the people of the region want to be free of warlord rule, let them fight for their own freedoms.

But they won't fight and when the US leaves (and it won't) it will revert back to rule by terror so here we are in a endless cycle of is it right or wrong to be there anymore.

Theres a simple litmus test. Does the death of 1 US soldier mean anything to the national security of the US? No? Then GTFO. We can supply all kinds of material aid, but if its not worth the life of one American soldier, then we need to stay out of it. Theyre soldiers, not world police.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How effective these drone strikes are will be determined in the years to come. Right now, its not difficult to believe we are making more enemies then we are killing.

Personally, i approve of drone strikes and the continued research of unmanned defensive technology. But we are way to indiscriminate with their usage at the moment. Those who ignore the past are doomed the repeat it. Havent we made enough mistakes in the Middle East to have learned that lesson?
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post

Agreed. I think the validity of these studies always have to be called into question. I don't really feel like you can trust the local people to give an accurate accounting (even if they're inclined to be truthful, which they wouldn't be, it is doubtful they would have solid numbers) of causalities plus I have to wonder how Stanford and NYU acquired classified information on who is and isn't a terrorist. Also, I have to admit some suspicion about whether these studies are conducted in good faith. Speculation on my part, obviously -- I have no evidence -- but I do feel like there's some incentive on behalf of those doing the study -- given the impossibility of the task -- to produce an inflammatory number.

The "estimates" of Iraqi civilian deaths also were widely disputed with the huge range of numbers rendering the exercise almost moot.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Agreed. I think the validity of these studies always have to be called into question. I don't really feel like you can trust the local people to give an accurate accounting (even if they're inclined to be truthful, which they wouldn't be, it is doubtful they would have solid numbers) of causalities plus I have to wonder how Stanford and NYU acquired classified information on who is and isn't a terrorist. Also, I have to admit some suspicion about whether these studies are conducted in good faith. Speculation on my part, obviously -- I have no evidence -- but I do feel like there's some incentive on behalf of those doing the study -- given the impossibility of the task -- to produce an inflammatory number.

The "estimates" of Iraqi civilian deaths also were widely disputed with the huge range of numbers rendering the exercise almost moot.
    I'll think about that the next time we target rescue workers and funerals.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I never thought in a million years that Obama would be more of a hawk when it came to this sort of thing than Bush was, I guess I was wrong though.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I'll think about that the next time we target rescue workers and funerals.
    Sure, buddy. Always the skeptic, until someone comes along with something you agree with, no matter how they produce the number they put out there.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Sure, buddy. Always the skeptic, until someone comes along with something you agree with, no matter how they produce the number they put out there.
    That can easily work both ways. For me I believe the saying "the truth is always somewhere in the middle". Let's say it's 25 to 1 does that make it better?????

There have been countless reports of these drone strikes doing far more harm than the government claims they do. Things from targeting rescue workers and funerals you know....WAR CRIMES. Not to mention killing 3 Americans without due process. One of them being 16 year old. Yemen, Pakistan and Afghanistan the stories have all been pretty consistent that these bombings kill innocent and civilians, while naturally infuriating the local population.
    Last edited by Dolphins9954; 10-16-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Quote