Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Did Romney mistakenly endorse affirmative action during the debate?

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Did Romney mistakenly endorse affirmative action during the debate?

I haven't seen this anywhere, but I though his comment about hiring women as Governor sounded a lot like affirmative action.

So, Romney stated that he was handed a list of the top qualified individuals for the various high level positions that he needed to fill. He just happened to notice that they were all men. So, he instructed his staff to compile a list of women that could fill in those positions.

In other words, he bypassed certain highly qualified individuals for the sole purpose of staffing a more diverse work force.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good question, actually. Didn't occur to me at the time.

But... the whole idea that he commissioned the binders is also wrong. Women's groups did all that research before he took office and presented it to him. Good on him for implementing the plan, but his frame on that answer was misleading.

Here's a story on it:

What actually happened was that in 2002 -- prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration -- a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor. They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.

I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I've checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I've just presented it is correct -- and that Romney's claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false.
    http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/tal...he-binder.aspx

Not that anyone should be surprised. After all...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's not affirmative action Jack, affirmative action would have been if law mandated that Romney hire those women, it did not do that. If an employer wants a more diverse work force I have no problem with that, if an employer is forced to hire a more diverse work force then I have a problem with that. Romney was a Republican Governor of a very liberal state, I think it was to his benefit to have as diverse of a workforce as possible, it’s unfortunate but that’s the world we live in these days, gender and skin color seem to matter more than qualification and drive.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Good question, actually. Didn't occur to me at the time.

But... the whole idea that he commissioned the binders is also wrong. Women's groups did all that research before he took office and presented it to him. Good on him for implementing the plan, but his frame on that answer was misleading.

Here's a story on it:

http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/talkingpolitics/archive/2012/10/16/mind-the-binder.aspx

Not that anyone should be surprised. After all...

You do realize that the whole “women make less than men doing the same job” mantra is a complete myth don’t you? It’s based on a faulty study that compared how much women make as a whole work force compared to how much men make as a work force as a whole. The problem with that is that women work different jobs than men, they also work more part time jobs than men. When you actually compare men and women in the same position, women make more money than men do. So should we pass an “Equal pay for men!” bill now?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

You do realize that the whole “women make less than men doing the same job” mantra is a complete myth don’t you? It’s based on a faulty study that compared how much women make as a whole work force compared to how much men make as a work force as a whole. The problem with that is that women work different jobs than men, they also work more part time jobs than men. When you actually compare men and women in the same position, women make more money than men do. So should we pass an “Equal pay for men!” bill now?
    That's a completely different debate. My point was that Romney's way of framing what happened when he made those hires was disingenuous.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's a completely different debate. My point was that Romney's way of framing what happened when he made those hires was disingenuous.
    You're trying to say he didn't hire women in his cabinet?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's not affirmative action Jack, affirmative action would have been if law mandated that Romney hire those women, it did not do that. If an employer wants a more diverse work force I have no problem with that, if an employer is forced to hire a more diverse work force then I have a problem with that. Romney was a Republican Governor of a very liberal state, I think it was to his benefit to have as diverse of a workforce as possible, it’s unfortunate but that’s the world we live in these days, gender and skin color seem to matter more than qualification and drive.
    These days?? It's unfortunate that gender and skin color mattered more than qualification and drive from the beginning of America to about the late 1960s, and that's just talking about legality. I know first hand that there are employers who wouldn't hire a black person even if they were 10 times better than a white person. I used to work for a firm, and the partner said point blank to me that he'd never hire a black person.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You're trying to say he didn't hire women in his cabinet?
    To much to read eh?

Wal said that Romney's claim how he made the hires (or the vetting process) was false. He did not order his staff to get him resumes from qualified women. It was done prior to him wining the election. That guy can't even be honest over the smallest things. Instead of lying and saying he is for equal pay he invents a story. But I think he is a good fit for you.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    We Are Still Going To The SB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Definition of 'Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act'
    A law signed by Congress on January 29, 2009, that restored worker protections against pay discrimination. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act allows individuals who face pay discrimination to seek rectification under federal anti-discrimination laws. The law clarifies that discrimination based on age, religion, national origin, race, sex and disability will "accrue" every time the employee receives a paycheck that is deemed discriminatory.

The act is named after a production supervisor at a Goodyear tire manufacturer in Alabama who filed a lawsuit in 1998 stating that her pay reflected sex discrimation. Ledbetter's appeal was eventually rejected by the Supreme Court, but the ruling ignited legal groups, who saw the court's decision as a setback for women and civil rights. This led to the formation of a bill that bore Ledbetter's name.

One unfortunate area of pay discrimination historically has been the pay gap between men and women. As of 2009, it is estimated that on average, women are paid only 78 cents for each dollar men are paid for comparable work. The gap becomes wider when examining pay data for women of color, according to the National Women's Law Center. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act was considered a positive step in advancing the fair treatment of workers.

The main point of act was if a women is doing the same job as a man, she should be compensated accordingly.
    Quote Quote