Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Making sense of the election, 3 weeks away.

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Making sense of the election, 3 weeks away.

The election is winding down, and a lot of states have left the toss-up column. Who is going to win? Well, look at the numbers and make a decision. I am using Wikipedia's roundup of statewide polling, as well as my own work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewi...election,_2012

Anywa, lets start with a baseline. I am going to give Obama every state that he, Gore, and Kerry all won. That is Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Washington D.C., Delaware, New Jersey, and Maryland. This is a baseline of 242 electoral votes for Obama. Romney stopped playing for Michigan a while ago and polling indicates Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are not as toss-up as Romney would like to believe.

I will also give Romney every state that McCain won and Bush took twice. Those include Alaska, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. This gives Romney a baseline of 180 electoral votes.

There are two states that, despite showing movement in other elections, seem firm. Indiana went for Obama in 2008, but Romney has shown double digit leads, giving him 191 electoral votes. New Mexico has become a blue state, giving Obama 247 electoral votes.

Now, unless Romney can steal Pennsylvania, Michigan, or Wisconsin, he starts with a severe deficit. Big states like Florida and Ohio remain open, and Obama wins would be disastrous for Romney. Let us look at every remaining swing state. For the sake of accuracy, I am ignoring all pre-October polls. Don't worry, because there have been plenty since then.

Colorado:
    A true toss-up. When a Republican-leaning firm like Rasmussen shows an Obama lead and the New York Times shows a Romney lead, it is hard to get a handle on anything. Romney cracked fifty percent once, and Obama reached forty-nine percent once, but the rest have been smaller leads. I would put money on Obama, but it would not be with confidence.

Florida:
    Obama's lead has disappeared since the debate. Romney has led the last four polls, twice with fifty-one percent. Since the state alone would win the election for Obama, you can expect Romney to keep hitting the state hard and Obama responding in kind. A good chance of a Romney win in Florida.

Iowa:
    Obama has done well here, leading by two points even in a Rasmussen poll. Only two October polls make this a bit muddier, and its small size makes it less important for most people. Obama could use the six electoral votes to pivot with others to mount a victory, so he will likely put more money in.

Nevada:
    The best Romney has done in the state is to tie in a Rasmussen poll. Harry Reid is going to make sure Obama wins Nevada.

New Hampshire:
    Massachusetts' commuters could be a key to a Romney victory. An American Research Group poll showed a four point Romney lead, but how much of this is debate hysteria is difficult to ascertain. Obama will likely pull it out based on regional trends, however.

North Carolina:
    Obama will keep fighting in the state, but it looks like Romney will take this one from Obama's column. Romney has cracked the fifty-percent threshold multiple times.

Ohio:
    Assuming Romney wins Florida, Ohio is the most important state in the election. An Obama victory would put him at 265 electoral votes, and any other state would give him a win, except for a tie by New Hampshire. There is a reason there have been eleven polls in the state since October began. Obama has consistently led, but by small margins. This is a state that could depend on turnout or those lunatics who watch the debates.

Virginia:
    What looked like a win for Obama earlier in the year has turned into a slight Romney favorite. While Obama cracked fifty percent early in the month, Romney has led the last three. Another true toss-up state.

So, looking at these results, I would give Romney North Carolina and give Obama Nevada. This leaves us with a 253-206 Obama lead. Obama wins the election with a win of either Florida or Ohio; Romney must win both. That is not to say Obama cannot win if he loses both; if Romney took both it would be a 253-253 tie. If Obama did as he should in Iowa and New Hampsire, he would be at 263, and at that both either Virginia or Colorado would win the election for Obama.

So what should you watch for on Election Day? Well, if Romney steals one of the Leaning Democrat states (Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan), then the election will go late into the night. However, if Obama holds them, it comes down to those two big states. Romney has tightened the race, but there are very big odds to overcome. It is probably a 75 percent chance of an Obama victory, as of today.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks for the post Zest. I said this, much less eloquently and with much less detail, in some other thread that I'm sure no one will read. It's a good objective breakdown that everyone in the PoFo needs to read...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    great post. I've missed those.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Obama campaign has spent a lot to make Romney into the Bain monster...

...but thats not who showed up at the debate. Think its a tossup at the moment, 283-257 if Obama wins Ohio, 275-265 if Romney does. During the next debate, expect Obama to try to inject Venom into Romney to recreate the campaigns Bain monster. But without going overboard, or you start cutting into your big edge with women as with what happened with Biden.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I should add that many of the swing states have begun early voting. A lot of people claim to know how they are going precisely but I would just weigh today's polls against election day polls and split the difference in those states.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The electoral math clearly favors the President. I think the Obama campaign has done a solid job of attacking Governor Romney, but I don't think they have done a very good job of presenting the President. They seem to think that they should not campaign on anything the President has done. Hell, I heard one ad today in which the President says, "I'm Barack Obama, candidate for President, and I approve this message."...

Candidate? You ARE the President. Playing defense may not score points, but you can't forgo it completely. The campaign isn't giving Democrats enough reasons to go vote on Election Day.

Not only that, but I think the Obama campaign is choosing the worst line of attack right now. Criticizing Governor Romney for vagueness and flip flopping might convince some independents, but it won't send most of the Democrats running to the polls because their disappointment in the President stems from nearly the same things.

The Romney campaign may have a similar problem getting Republicans to the polls to support the former Governor, but I think his lofty promises will alleviate some of that and I think the anti-Obama vote is much stronger than the anti-Romney vote.

The Republicans will also have a much stronger ground game this time around and supposedly a blitzkrieg of ads in these final weeks.

Despite the math, I think Governor Romney has a decent chance.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My take is Obama deserves to lose. He's been a horrible president. Unfortunately Romney is the replacement. "Hold on lady we going for a ride".

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    My take is Obama deserves to lose. He's been a horrible president. Unfortunately Romney is the replacement. "Hold on lady we going for a ride".
    Of course Obama fails in the abstract, but it is Obama versus Romney. I know you won't answer who you prefer though.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    If anyone wants a no nonsense mathematical look at the polls then I recommend this blog. Nate Silver looks at all the polls.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

I agree with your post Tetra.

Right now Obama should ride Ohio to the win, but this is a moving target and Obama cannot afford many more PR defeats like debate #1.

I think the foreign policy debate will be a little kinder to him sense he has easier facts to defend himself with.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    Of course Obama fails in the abstract, but it is Obama versus Romney. I know you won't answer who you prefer though.
    Firing Squad or Hanging? I prefer neither. I'll admit getting a chuckle out of the "Messiah" going down. But make no mistake that's not an endorsement of douchebag at all. He's just as bad or worse than Obama on every level. This election is the epitome of prison rape.
    Quote Quote