Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 8 Important Economic Questions For The Presidential Debate!

  1. -1
    CRAZYDOLFAN305's Avatar
    We Are Still Going To The SB

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    4,840
    vCash:
    2171
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

    8 Important Economic Questions For The Presidential Debate!

    http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...taxes-deficit/

    2) Poverty: More than 46 million Americans — 15 percent of our population — now live at or below the federal poverty level, and the United States has one of the highest child poverty rates in the developed world. So why does Romney support a budget that takes 62 percent of its spending cuts from programs that help the poor? How would Obama protect the poor from spending cuts in any “grand bargain” deficit deal he might sign?

    4) Mass transit: More Americans are using mass transit and driving less and less. But the U.S. mass transit system trails those of its peer nations, and fails to connect workers who need it most to their jobs. How would Romney square this increasing demand with his desire to cut funding for Amtrak? Does President Obama have any plans to push transit development beyond the infrastructure investments included in his never-passed American Jobs Act?

    5) Income inequality: The level of inequality in the United States now rivals countries like Pakistan and the Ivory Coast. This inequality crushes economic mobility for America’s shrinking middle class and its growing number of working poor. Romney said that a focus on income inequality was “about envy” and said it should only be talked about in a quiet room. Does he view income inequality as a serious issue threatening the future of America’s economy, and if so, how do his policies address it? How would Obama bolster the lower- and middle classes and reduce the growth of inequality aside from increasing some tax rates on the richest Americans?
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    WVDolphan's Avatar
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    15,018
    vCash:
    21879
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305 View Post
    http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...taxes-deficit/

    2) Poverty: More than 46 million Americans — 15 percent of our population — now live at or below the federal poverty level, and the United States has one of the highest child poverty rates in the developed world. So why does Romney support a budget that takes 62 percent of its spending cuts from programs that help the poor? How would Obama protect the poor from spending cuts in any “grand bargain” deficit deal he might sign?
    The poor need JOBS more than they need "programs".
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    4,272
    vCash:
    22535
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    The poor need JOBS more than they need "programs".
    Yeah, but those jobs were either outsourced by Romney and Co or killed by Bush and Co.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Tetragrammaton's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    9,591
    vCash:
    2613
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Something no one wants to hear: we are likely to see a new normal in unemployment numbers, trending upwards. More and more low wage jobs are going to disappear even as the economy recovers. Retail stores are going to keep closing because of the increasing power of online shopping, which doesn't employ nearly as many people. The astronomical increases in upper-class wages will only increase the divide. Six dollar a gallon gasoline won't help, either. We are likely to see a European-Japanese style of high single digit unemployment for long periods of time. Like it or not, welfare programs will have to increase, and morally, the rich who helped lead to this situation should pay more to fund it.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    TrojanFin's Avatar
    Make It Rain!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    168
    vCash:
    1165
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    Something no one wants to hear: we are likely to see a new normal in unemployment numbers, trending upwards. More and more low wage jobs are going to disappear even as the economy recovers. Retail stores are going to keep closing because of the increasing power of online shopping, which doesn't employ nearly as many people. The astronomical increases in upper-class wages will only increase the divide. Six dollar a gallon gasoline won't help, either. We are likely to see a European-Japanese style of high single digit unemployment for long periods of time. Like it or not, welfare programs will have to increase, and morally, the rich who helped lead to this situation should pay more to fund it.
    This is definitely the reality if Obama gets re-elected. I am hoping a change in leadership will curtail some of the bleeding.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Tetragrammaton's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    9,591
    vCash:
    2613
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post
    This is definitely the reality if Obama gets re-elected. I am hoping a change in leadership will curtail some of the bleeding.
    It will be the same regardless. We live in a capitalist economy.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    RockyMtnPhinfan's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2006
    Posts:
    2,498
    vCash:
    1235
    Loc:
    Steamboat Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How about raising taxes on the middle class. Romney said last night he's going to cut taxes for the rich AND for the middle class. Then Obama went on to deconstruct that entire possibility as complete nonsene and did it in convincing fashion. Romney plain lies about his intentions and when he gets called to the carpet he has no answer. Romney once again was vague and did not, ONCE AGAIN, give any specifics on his tax plan. He's full of himself and the uppercrust of society. I can't vote for someone like Mitt Romney who thinks their **** doesn't stink and is pro life.

    ---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    Something no one wants to hear: we are likely to see a new normal in unemployment numbers, trending upwards. More and more low wage jobs are going to disappear even as the economy recovers. Retail stores are going to keep closing because of the increasing power of online shopping, which doesn't employ nearly as many people. The astronomical increases in upper-class wages will only increase the divide. Six dollar a gallon gasoline won't help, either. We are likely to see a European-Japanese style of high single digit unemployment for long periods of time. Like it or not, welfare programs will have to increase, and morally, the rich who helped lead to this situation should pay more to fund it.

    ^^^^^^^This




    Reshad "GET IT ON" Jones
    gettin it on!
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    505
    vCash:
    2688
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnPhinfan View Post
    How about raising taxes on the middle class. Romney said last night he's going to cut taxes for the rich AND for the middle class. Then Obama went on to deconstruct that entire possibility as complete nonsene and did it in convincing fashion. Romney plain lies about his intentions and when he gets called to the carpet he has no answer. Romney once again was vague and did not, ONCE AGAIN, give any specifics on his tax plan. He's full of himself and the uppercrust of society. I can't vote for someone like Mitt Romney who thinks their **** doesn't stink and is pro life.
    Romney in the debate "I will not lower taxes for the rich"

    Romney 10 seconds later "I'm going to eliminate tax on interest, dividends, and capital gains."

    Hmmmm, who makes the most in interest & dividends......?
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    4,272
    vCash:
    22535
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Romney in the debate "I will not lower taxes for the rich"

    Romney 10 seconds later "I'm going to eliminate tax on interest, dividends, and capital gains."

    Hmmmm, who makes the most in interest & dividends......?
    I know...I know...

    The smoochers? The welfare recipients?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    TrojanFin's Avatar
    Make It Rain!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    168
    vCash:
    1165
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well I am glad to see that last three posters have bought into the narrative of Romney as the "evil rich man" with evil "rich man friends".

    The man is successful in business, and knows how to balance the books. He's taken situations that have looked bleak, and turned it around on numerous occasions (winter Olympics/ Mass.). He's reached across the aisle to get things done, and his track record speaks for itself. You may nitpick as to the details, but Romney is results orientated, and he follows through with action and conviction.

    I don't know how many times Romney has to explain his plan, and some of you people still don't get it. He's not raising taxes on anyone, but he's simply getting rid of the massive amount of exemptions that corporations have been entitled to over the years. In other words, he's leveling the playing field so politicians can't continue their crony capitalism and create sweetheart deals through their legislation.

    A lot of that money, in turn, goes back to supporting the corrupt politicians that got the sweetheart deal in the first place (see lobbyists). Everyone is going to have to abide by the same rules, and contribute to the economy and not influencing government.

    By the way I hear that that top 20% of earners pay roughly 92% of all taxes. I think the wealthy in this country contribute a lot more than you give them credit for, and if the rest of the country could get back to work they too can start contributing more as well. We need to get people off of social welfare programs, and start relying on their own work ethic. More people work means more people paying taxes, which get this country going in the right direction again.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. First Presidential Debate thoughts and discussion
    By TheWalrus in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM
  2. Presidential Candidates In First Ever Gay Debate
    By Celtkin in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 08:41 AM
  3. Distortions Galore at Second Presidential Debate
    By finataxia24 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 11:01 AM
  4. Presidential Debate - Come to the Political/War Forum!
    By TerryTate in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:37 AM
  5. Presidential Debate - Come to the Political/War Forum!
    By TerryTate in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •