Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Congressman declares abortions never necessary to save womans life.

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    There are medical conditions that exists that threaten a womans ability to survive a child birth. Declaring "none such exist" is factually incorrect. Medical professionals will undoubtedly side against him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ly-unneccesary

Another article about the remarks but has an example of life threatening conditions.
    People die when having their tonsels and appendix removed as well, any kind of surgery presents SOME risk. But to use the safety of the mother as a reason to support abortion is not being realistic. Most mothers who are told there is complications and there is a 50% chance you won't survive (which is WAAAAY higher than any I have heard of) would still be willing to take the chance to save their child. Just like fathers and mothers have put their lives in danger when wild animals, armed robberies, machinery, or other forces are threating their children.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    People die when having their tonsels and appendix removed as well, any kind of surgery presents SOME risk. But to use the safety of the mother as a reason to support abortion is not being realistic. Most mothers who are told there is complications and there is a 50% chance you won't survive (which is WAAAAY higher than any I have heard of) would still be willing to take the chance to save their child. Just like fathers and mothers have put their lives in danger when wild animals, armed robberies, machinery, or other forces are threating their children.
    Research "ectopic pregnancy," then come back and tell me how that's at all similar to a parent protecting their child from a lion.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    The change in Republican policy to oppose abortion even in the case of the health of the mother is the clearest sign that the Republican Party doesn't actually want to outlaw abortion. No doctor is going to sit and watch someone die because of a curable condition.

So what you are saying is "no doctor would sit and watch someone die, when he could kill someone else to possibily save the first" ?? WOW!!!

Again show me more than one situation out of 100,000 cases where this is the issue. Show me the cases where a doctor says, "you are going to die unless we kill your child". With C-sections and all the other options that doctors have today there just are never these situations. I mean show me a mother that if they said there is a 80% you die if we don't kill your child that wouldn't take the chance!!! This isn't even a realistic arguement, please stop with this nonesense. You lose all credibility.
    Last edited by KTOWNFINFAN; 10-22-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Im not a fan of abortion as birth control really, but I think its the height of hypocrisy to call abortion to save a woman's life murder, but ignore the fact that such a law would directly lead to women dying. I wont even get into how laughably silly it is to be pro-life and for the death penalty.

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

So what you are saying is "no doctor would sit and watch someone die, when he could kill someone else to possibily save the first" ?? WOW!!!

Again show me more than one situation out of 100,000 cases where this is the issue. Show me the cases where a doctor says, "you are going to die unless we kill your child". With C-sections and all the other options that doctors have today there just are never these situations. I mean show me a mother that if they said there is a 80% you die if we don't kill your child that would take the chance!!! This isn't even a realistic arguement, please stop with this nonesense. You lose all credibility.
    1-2.5% of pregnancies are ectopic.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Research "ectopic pregnancy," then come back and tell me how that's at all similar to a parent protecting their child from a lion.
    OK I just read Wikidepedia's entry. Now what is your question?? Look this isn't as hard as some of you are making it. Are their some times that complications will arise and one or both mother and child will lose their life?? YES, they are rare but it happens. You are trying to save BOTH lives, one is not more important than the other. Just like if you came up to a car accident and both the mother and a two year old were both injured, you would try to save them both. If the mother was already dead it might be possible that the only way you could save the child would be to cut the mother in half to get to the child, or visa versa. You would do that. If one was so injured they couldn't be saved and one was savageable you might still do it, but that is a total 1 in a million situation. People are trying to say a parent has the right to kill their child because children isn't something they want to deal with at the time, and then some how trying to tie that in to obsurd situations like life or death.

Just start with the fact that life is life and one is not more important than the other and you will be able to figure the rest out.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    OK I just read Wikidepedia's entry. Now what is your question?? Look this isn't as hard as some of you are making it. Are their some times that complications will arise and one or both mother and child will lose their life?? YES, they are rare but it happens. You are trying to save BOTH lives, one is not more important than the other. Just like if you came up to a car accident and both the mother and a two year old were both injured, you would try to save them both. If the mother was already dead it might be possible that the only way you could save the child would be to cut the mother in half to get to the child, or visa versa. You would do that. If one was so injured they couldn't be saved and one was savageable you might still do it, but that is a total 1 in a million situation. People are trying to say a parent has the right to kill their child because children isn't something they want to deal with at the time, and then some how trying to tie that in to obsurd situations like life or death.

Just start with the fact that life is life and one is not more important than the other and you will be able to figure the rest out.
    Terminating an ectopic pregnancy is not choosing who lives. It's about choosing whether anyone lives.

There are between 67,000 and 167,000 ectopic pregnancies in this country EACH YEAR. That's a lot of mothers -- some of which already have children who need them -- you want to kill, buddy. Congrats.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I didnt share a view on abortion one way or another in this thread. I said that there are conditions in which the mother can die unless she receives an abortion. Science agrees.

Moral of this story is: the Congressman is wrong.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Again show me more than one situation out of 100,000 cases where this is the issue. Show me the cases where a doctor says, "you are going to die unless we kill your child". With C-sections and all the other options that doctors have today there just are never these situations. I mean show me a mother that if they said there is a 80% you die if we don't kill your child that wouldn't take the chance!!! This isn't even a realistic arguement, please stop with this nonesense. You lose all credibility.
    Don't be obnoxious. If you want to respond to me, respond to what I said, not what you want to pretend I said.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Sounds like he is stating that women never die during childbirth anymore, which is completely false.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...elopment-goals

According to that study, the U.S. is actually one of the worst at approximately 17 mothers dying during birth out of every 100,000 births. I hate that these politicians lie like no one's business and no one calls them out on it...
    The rate increased to 21 in every 100,000 live births, putting us "behind Western Europe, Canada and Australia and alongside Iran, Hungary and Turkey," but that's another issue...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...years-ago.html

But abortions are "never necessary" because modern technology has "eliminated the risks of childbirth."

He lied. If he wants to oppose abortion based on his religious beliefs, fine, that's his right and I can respect that, even though I wholeheartedly disagree. But to flat out lie and to have the audacity to try and use science to defend his position...

Quote Quote