Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Werner DE in 1st Round

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Werner DE in 1st Round

Yes I know we need to get WR help, but hear me out.

This is a passing league and if you can get to the QB you are in a winning position. We clearly need help at CB but it starts up front. Wake is not getting any younger and I do think that from next year onwards, we should be incorporating a rotational approach at the DE Spot, just like we are at DT... So, in my view, Bjorn Werner should be our target... the kid is a freak... technique, speed, setting the edge, running the arc, hustle... and great smarts. So our DL would look like

DE - Wake, Werner,Vernon, Shelby
    DT - Soliai, Starks, Odrick, McDaniel

I think this DL could be unstoppable.

Now - considering we also need primary help at WR/CB/TE and secondary help at OG/LB/S I think this is the year we can do it and I'd go with the following

1st - DE - Werner
    2nd - WR
    2nd - CB
    3rd - WR
    3rd - OG
    4th - TE - No. 11 - Toilolo from Standford - if not available, I'd go, bizarrely No 11 from Standford - LB - S. Skov

Haven't seen enough yet to say who I'd select 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Pat-London; 10-20-2012 at 07:29 AM.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bjoern Werner is assuredly going to go in the Top-10, and probably Top 5... he will be long gone before Miami's pick

Many of the more updated mocks have him in the Top 4 - 8 range. He's also the type of guy (and player) who's stock rises before the draft, so Top 5 is not an unsafe proposition. If Chris Long can go #2 overall, then surely Werner can go Top 5
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I admit, i have a mancrush on Werner, always have. I was screaming for the Canes to recruit him in HS b/c i thought he was going to blow up. As such, i'd love to see him on the Phins......but honestly, we have 2 HUGE needs right now, so i can't see us not picking a WR or CB if those guys are there (particularly Allen).

If Allen is gone though and i'm not impressed with the CBs still on the board, i would definitely look at DEs or BPA.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd love that pick, but I think he goes close to the top 10. I do think Miami should add at least one pass rusher in this draft. I love how Seattle now attacks teams and I wasn't surprised they managed to beat New England. I'd try to copy the NY Giants and Seattle's approach and just constantly harrass opposing quarterbacks. The problem is as the Dolphins keep winning guys like Bjoern Werner, Jarvis Jones and Sam Montgomery should be off the table. Then again, if Miami really wants someone they have the ammo to trade up.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Werner has 5.5 sacks against Murray St. and Savannah St. but only 1 sack in his other 5 games. I'm not convinced he's not just an overhyped player.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Werner has 5.5 sacks against Murray St. and Savannah St. but only 1 sack in his other 5 games. I'm not convinced he's not just an overhyped player.
    You might have wrote this before the Canes game but he had 1.5 sacks vs Wake Forest and another 1.5 sacks vs Miami (Seantrel Henderson), so I think you may be short-changing him a bit.

The other thing I like about him is he's got 5 passes defensed on the year, and he had 5 passes defensed last year. If you think about the difference between a pass defensed at the line and a sack, it's really not a very big difference. He's the DE out there that is most like J.J. Watt in terms of his ability to use his eyes and anticipate the ball coming out, get his hands up into the passing lane and knock the ball down.

He's got 8.0 Sacks for losses of 69 yards, 3.5 additional TFLs for losses of 12 more yards, 4 additional QB Hurries, 5 Pass Break Ups, 1 Forced Fumble and 24 Tackles.

Bottom line is, he affects games, and he's really tough for even good offensive linemen to handle.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    With Werner gone..

and if you're still dead-set on a pass rusher, you may have to settle for Dion Jordan... and if that doesn't work out for whatever reason the dude can run as fast and turns like a cornerback. lol. You can't lose ;-)

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    You might have wrote this before the Canes game but he had 1.5 sacks vs Wake Forest and another 1.5 sacks vs Miami (Seantrel Henderson), so I think you may be short-changing him a bit.

The other thing I like about him is he's got 5 passes defensed on the year, and he had 5 passes defensed last year. If you think about the difference between a pass defensed at the line and a sack, it's really not a very big difference. He's the DE out there that is most like J.J. Watt in terms of his ability to use his eyes and anticipate the ball coming out, get his hands up into the passing lane and knock the ball down.

He's got 8.0 Sacks for losses of 69 yards, 3.5 additional TFLs for losses of 12 more yards, 4 additional QB Hurries, 5 Pass Break Ups, 1 Forced Fumble and 24 Tackles.

Bottom line is, he affects games, and he's really tough for even good offensive linemen to handle.
    He seems like a really good player to me. How is he against the run? What are the weakest parts of his game? I remember when he was being recruited out of highschool there was some breif interest on his part in the Canes, and all the Cane fans said he wasn't UM material. We see how that's turned out. Werner is looking like a top 5 pick, and UM's defensive line is a dumpster fire right now.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyboy View Post
    With Werner gone..

and if you're still dead-set on a pass rusher, you may have to settle for Dion Jordan... and if that doesn't work out for whatever reason the dude can run as fast and turns like a cornerback. lol. You can't lose ;-)

I'm usually not very impressed by plays like the one Jordan made at the !:05 mark. Hustle sacks are cool, but I want to see you beat someone (the main reason I wanted to stay FAR away from S. Kindle). But holy hell, what closing speed!

Having not watched much of Jordan, I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on a compare/contrast with Jordan and Mingo.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post

It was before the Miami game and Miami's tackles are not very good either and Stephen Morris has a knack for running into sacks rather than climbing the ladder in the pocket. But he played well in that game...nothing special IMO.

Edit: Warner had 4.0 sacks against Murray St., 1.0 against Savannah St., 1.5 against Wake Forest...no sacks against the next 4 teams (Clemson, South Florida, NCST and Boston College) and then 1.5 against Miami.
    Quote Quote