Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ann Coulter Just Doesn't Get It

Hybrid View

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Ann Coulter Just Doesn't Get It

Ann Coulter is just one of many. Her use of the word "retard" in recent diatribes against President Obama only echoes a prevalent notion that comparing someone to the mentally handicapped is a clever put-down. Ten years ago in high school, I listened as an extremely intelligent teacher explained to our class that we would be "retarded" if we misused the Bunsen burners. After making a mistake at a new job, my then boss asked if I was "a retard." Among the under 30 set, "retarded" is regularly used as a synonym for excessive intoxication. For some, "I'm a retard" is a sufficient form of an apology. The only conclusion I can draw is that Ann Coulter and every other person who misuses the word "retard" has absolutely no idea who they are talking about.

My brother David was born with Fragile X Syndrome. Fragile X is the most common form of genetically inherited mental retardation. As a result, David has no idea that two plus two equals four. He lacks the fine motor skills necessary to drive a car or use a knife. His concept of time is limited to today and tomorrow. While he recognizes many words, he does not have the capacity to sit and read a book. His misfiring synapses trigger tremendous bouts of anxiety that cause him to hit himself and pinch our parents. After each outburst he is quick to apologize: "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pinch you." He needs to be reassured as he tries to erase the incident: "I didn't pinch you, did I? I'm good, right?" He becomes desperate to verify the other person's well-being: "You happy? Comfortable? You do?" David struggles to adjust to changes in routine. His favorite meal consists of a cheeseburger, French fries, and multiple Sprites with no ice. He loves Skittles, Chinese food, cookie dough ice cream, and his birthday. At 24 years old, he can recite entire scenes from My Cousin Vinny and still watches Barney The Dinosaur. He never forgets a name, always remembers a face, and is genuinely beloved by everyone who knows him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-clark/ann-coulter-just-doesnt-g_b_2011478.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The author is being overly sensitive. Do Jews get mad when people refer to being cheap as "jewing it up"? There are countless things you can rip on Ann Coulter for. Using the word retard isn't one of them...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    The author is being overly sensitive. Do Jews get mad when people refer to being cheap as "jewing it up"? There are countless things you can rip on Ann Coulter for. Using the word retard isn't one of them...
    They don't? I would, were I Jewish.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    They don't? I would, were I Jewish.
    A couple Jewish buddies of mine say it more than anyone, to be honest. It's a running joke within the Jewish community here in Albuquerque, apparently. I try to avoid saying stuff like that personally. But I admit, I say retard far more often than someone who works with the DD population rightfully should...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    A couple Jewish buddies of mine say it more than anyone, to be honest. It's a running joke within the Jewish community here in Albuquerque, apparently. I try to avoid saying stuff like that personally. But I admit, I say retard far more often than someone who works with the DD population rightfully should...
    Well, if Jewish people say it, especially to each other, that's a different deal. We all know about the rules with the "N" word and only really silly people dispute them. "Retard" seems to be a word that's undergoing a transformation, which is fine, I suppose. The definitions and meaning of words evolve. The way I grew up "retard" wasn't a word like "f@ggot" which everyone knew was derogatory and which I still won't say. It was more in a category with "moron" or "idiot," which I'm sure you know began use as medical terms describing people with different IQ or developmental levels.

I don't see moron or idiot becoming passe but if retard is offensive then people should look at their reasons for continuing to say it. I still operate under the rule that it's okay to offend someone as long as you can make peace with your reason for doing so and live with the consequences. But I'm not sure there's a good reason out there to continuing to say retard.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Well, if Jewish people say it, especially to each other, that's a different deal. We all know about the rules with the "N" word and only really silly people dispute them. "Retard" seems to be a word that's undergoing a transformation, which is fine, I suppose. The definitions and meaning of words evolve. The way I grew up "retard" wasn't a word like "f@ggot" which everyone knew was derogatory and which I still won't say. It was more in a category with "moron" or "idiot," which I'm sure you know began use as medical terms describing people with different IQ or developmental levels.

I don't see moron or idiot becoming passe but if retard is offensive then people should look at their reasons for continuing to say it. I still operate under the rule that it's okay to offend someone as long as you can make peace with your reason for doing so and live with the consequences. But I'm not sure there's a good reason out there to continuing to say retard.
    That's exactly why I still say it; I grew up with it being used as a synonym for stupid. It's something I'm actually actively trying not to say as much, but it's tough removing regularly used words from your vocabulary. The dirty looks I get at work when it slips out is pretty effective as a reinforcer though.

Overall, I think people are far too PC, especially my brethren on the left. It's like they are far too worried about a specific word instead of the general intent of the phrase. If you're purposely insulting someone, it shouldn't matter what words you used to do it...
    Last edited by Locke; 10-26-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    That article is retarded.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have noticed the word "retard" has become a lot more sensitive lately.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Ann Coulter Just Doesn't Get It

She's just out to cause as much controversy as possible so she can sell her books. Quite clever if you are just in it for the money. I just laugh when I hear her come out with some ridicules comment. She is just playing us, she's probably laughing at the extreme right wing who hang on her every word.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irish fin fan View Post
    She's just out to cause as much controversy as possible so she can sell her books. Quite clever if you are just in it for the money. I just laugh when I hear her come out with some ridicules comment. She is just playing us, she's probably laughing at the extreme right wing who hang on her every word.
    Bingo, I think she totally gets it. More controversy = more money. I honestly don't think she even believes 80% of what shes says.
    Quote Quote