Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ann Coulter Just Doesn't Get It

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Ann Coulter Just Doesn't Get It

Ann Coulter is just one of many. Her use of the word "retard" in recent diatribes against President Obama only echoes a prevalent notion that comparing someone to the mentally handicapped is a clever put-down. Ten years ago in high school, I listened as an extremely intelligent teacher explained to our class that we would be "retarded" if we misused the Bunsen burners. After making a mistake at a new job, my then boss asked if I was "a retard." Among the under 30 set, "retarded" is regularly used as a synonym for excessive intoxication. For some, "I'm a retard" is a sufficient form of an apology. The only conclusion I can draw is that Ann Coulter and every other person who misuses the word "retard" has absolutely no idea who they are talking about.

My brother David was born with Fragile X Syndrome. Fragile X is the most common form of genetically inherited mental retardation. As a result, David has no idea that two plus two equals four. He lacks the fine motor skills necessary to drive a car or use a knife. His concept of time is limited to today and tomorrow. While he recognizes many words, he does not have the capacity to sit and read a book. His misfiring synapses trigger tremendous bouts of anxiety that cause him to hit himself and pinch our parents. After each outburst he is quick to apologize: "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pinch you." He needs to be reassured as he tries to erase the incident: "I didn't pinch you, did I? I'm good, right?" He becomes desperate to verify the other person's well-being: "You happy? Comfortable? You do?" David struggles to adjust to changes in routine. His favorite meal consists of a cheeseburger, French fries, and multiple Sprites with no ice. He loves Skittles, Chinese food, cookie dough ice cream, and his birthday. At 24 years old, he can recite entire scenes from My Cousin Vinny and still watches Barney The Dinosaur. He never forgets a name, always remembers a face, and is genuinely beloved by everyone who knows him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-clark/ann-coulter-just-doesnt-g_b_2011478.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The author is being overly sensitive. Do Jews get mad when people refer to being cheap as "jewing it up"? There are countless things you can rip on Ann Coulter for. Using the word retard isn't one of them...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    That article is retarded.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have noticed the word "retard" has become a lot more sensitive lately.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Ann Coulter Just Doesn't Get It

She's just out to cause as much controversy as possible so she can sell her books. Quite clever if you are just in it for the money. I just laugh when I hear her come out with some ridicules comment. She is just playing us, she's probably laughing at the extreme right wing who hang on her every word.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boulder
    Thanks / No Thanks
    She might be a dude. Check out her adams apple.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irish fin fan View Post
    She's just out to cause as much controversy as possible so she can sell her books. Quite clever if you are just in it for the money. I just laugh when I hear her come out with some ridicules comment. She is just playing us, she's probably laughing at the extreme right wing who hang on her every word.
    Bingo, I think she totally gets it. More controversy = more money. I honestly don't think she even believes 80% of what shes says.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Bingo, I think she totally gets it. More controversy = more money. I honestly don't think she even believes 80% of what shes says.
    I think she believes what she says. She is doing it too long. When she started out she was literally unknown. I think it was Bill Maher who brought attention to her (they used to be friends) back when he had the show Political Incorrect.

I think the differences from back then and now is:
    a) The Internet: She is using the Net quite effectively
    b) She probably realized that her opinions are controversial. Since she is a nutcase she can remain a relatively unknown nutcase or she cashes in and becomes a known nutcase. So she started writing books a decade or so ago.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    I think she believes what she says. She is doing it too long. When she started out she was literally unknown. I think it was Bill Maher who brought attention to her (they used to be friends) back when he had the show Political Incorrect.

I think the differences from back then and now is:
    a) The Internet: She is using the Net quite effectively
    b) She probably realized that her opinions are controversial. Since she is a nutcase she can remain a relatively unknown nutcase or she cashes in and becomes a known nutcase. So she started writing books a decade or so ago.
    I think a good comparison would be Skip Bayless. Skip went hyper controversial these past couple years. He used to just have a couple against the grain opinions, but he realized that controversy sells. So, he purposely took the more controversial side in arguments. I think Ann sincerely believes that conservatives are 100% right and liberals are evil, but her justifications & reasoning are purposely exaggerated in order to make money.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    DRAGONBORN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hallandale, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Smartest woman alive. And very attractive. If I wasn't a happily married man I'd take her out one evening.
    Quote Quote