Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Ann Coulter Just Doesn't Get It

  1. -11
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    6,732
    vCash:
    18716
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    The author is being overly sensitive. Do Jews get mad when people refer to being cheap as "jewing it up"? There are countless things you can rip on Ann Coulter for. Using the word retard isn't one of them...
    They don't? I would, were I Jewish.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,608
    vCash:
    2867
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    They don't? I would, were I Jewish.
    A couple Jewish buddies of mine say it more than anyone, to be honest. It's a running joke within the Jewish community here in Albuquerque, apparently. I try to avoid saying stuff like that personally. But I admit, I say retard far more often than someone who works with the DD population rightfully should...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    6,732
    vCash:
    18716
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    A couple Jewish buddies of mine say it more than anyone, to be honest. It's a running joke within the Jewish community here in Albuquerque, apparently. I try to avoid saying stuff like that personally. But I admit, I say retard far more often than someone who works with the DD population rightfully should...
    Well, if Jewish people say it, especially to each other, that's a different deal. We all know about the rules with the "N" word and only really silly people dispute them. "Retard" seems to be a word that's undergoing a transformation, which is fine, I suppose. The definitions and meaning of words evolve. The way I grew up "retard" wasn't a word like "f@ggot" which everyone knew was derogatory and which I still won't say. It was more in a category with "moron" or "idiot," which I'm sure you know began use as medical terms describing people with different IQ or developmental levels.

    I don't see moron or idiot becoming passe but if retard is offensive then people should look at their reasons for continuing to say it. I still operate under the rule that it's okay to offend someone as long as you can make peace with your reason for doing so and live with the consequences. But I'm not sure there's a good reason out there to continuing to say retard.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,608
    vCash:
    2867
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Well, if Jewish people say it, especially to each other, that's a different deal. We all know about the rules with the "N" word and only really silly people dispute them. "Retard" seems to be a word that's undergoing a transformation, which is fine, I suppose. The definitions and meaning of words evolve. The way I grew up "retard" wasn't a word like "f@ggot" which everyone knew was derogatory and which I still won't say. It was more in a category with "moron" or "idiot," which I'm sure you know began use as medical terms describing people with different IQ or developmental levels.

    I don't see moron or idiot becoming passe but if retard is offensive then people should look at their reasons for continuing to say it. I still operate under the rule that it's okay to offend someone as long as you can make peace with your reason for doing so and live with the consequences. But I'm not sure there's a good reason out there to continuing to say retard.
    That's exactly why I still say it; I grew up with it being used as a synonym for stupid. It's something I'm actually actively trying not to say as much, but it's tough removing regularly used words from your vocabulary. The dirty looks I get at work when it slips out is pretty effective as a reinforcer though.

    Overall, I think people are far too PC, especially my brethren on the left. It's like they are far too worried about a specific word instead of the general intent of the phrase. If you're purposely insulting someone, it shouldn't matter what words you used to do it...
    Last edited by Locke; 10-26-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    2,576
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Smartest woman alive. And very attractive. If I wasn't a happily married man I'd take her out one evening.
    Not sure if u are serious, but wow.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,253
    vCash:
    1156
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irish fin fan View Post
    She's just out to cause as much controversy as possible so she can sell her books. Quite clever if you are just in it for the money. I just laugh when I hear her come out with some ridicules comment. She is just playing us, she's probably laughing at the extreme right wing who hang on her every word.


    I don’t know anyone who hangs on to Ann’s every word, I think she’s probably laughing at ‘the Left’ for getting all weepy about things she says and therefore selling her books for her. She knows what she’s doing.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,253
    vCash:
    1156
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    That's exactly why I still say it; I grew up with it being used as a synonym for stupid. It's something I'm actually actively trying not to say as much, but it's tough removing regularly used words from your vocabulary. The dirty looks I get at work when it slips out is pretty effective as a reinforcer though.

    Overall, I think people are far too PC, especially my brethren on the left. It's like they are far too worried about a specific word instead of the general intent of the phrase. If you're purposely insulting someone, it should matter what words you used to do it...
    Careful Locke, if you keep posting this sort of stuff I may actually start liking you. I agree, the “word police” need to retire, I see it where I work as well, one of our fish biologists was talking about an abandoned lookout we have, and he referred to it as “unmanned”, one of our token feminists quickly corrected him, “you mean unstaffed don’t you? It’s sexist to think that everyone who works in a lookout is a man.” Pretty ridiculous stuff, the guy didn’t mean any harm and she correcting him in front of everyone was more offensive than anything he did in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    6,732
    vCash:
    18716
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    That's exactly why I still say it; I grew up with it being used as a synonym for stupid. It's something I'm actually actively trying not to say as much, but it's tough removing regularly used words from your vocabulary. The dirty looks I get at work when it slips out is pretty effective as a reinforcer though.

    Overall, I think people are far too PC, especially my brethren on the left. It's like they are far too worried about a specific word instead of the general intent of the phrase. If you're purposely insulting someone, it should matter what words you used to do it...
    I agree. The point to me isn't so much whether you're being "offensive". Some people deserve to be offended. But people should not be flippant using language that bothers people, I think. What comes to mind for some reason was a controversy Eminiem of all people got in a few years back for using the word "f@g." His argument was, and I'm paraphrasing, "where I came from, people just said it. It's like 'you're being a f@g, man', but we weren't talking about a guy being gay or anything. He was just being a f@g.'"

    I get where he's coming from, but I still don't think that's okay. Half of my family is from Alabama and Georgia and they all grew up saying "n*gger" this or "n*gger" that and it didn't necessarily have to do with black people all the time. Didn't make it okay, though. Culture isn't an excuse. And they've pretty much stopped, now. I mean, if you're using a term that you know offends, and though you don't mean to offend continue to use it anyway, I think you really have to look in the mirror and ask yourself why.

    Statler brings up a good example, also, and that's an area where I don't think the PC crowd has it right. For one thing, I don't think "unstaffed" is even a word. Unmanned, however, is. And I think any reasonable person knows that term isn't being used to only signify one gender. I mean, we're "humans", not "hupersons." The Romance languages get around this by giving every word a gender, and the selections are often nonsensical (in other words, not every manly thing has a male gender and not every womanly thing has a female gender). But since English is a hybrid language only some terms -- mostly those borrowed from Spanish and Italian -- have gender significance. The correctives to this really only create confusion, I think, because no one notices them at all. You can't say that with "f@g" or "retard."
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    3,214
    vCash:
    5165
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Smartest woman alive. And very attractive. If I wasn't a happily married man I'd take her out one evening.
    She only does liberals.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,042
    vCash:
    2242
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    What comes to mind for some reason was a controversy Eminiem of all people got in a few years back for using the word "f@g." His argument was, and I'm paraphrasing, "where I came from, people just said it. It's like 'you're being a f@g, man', but we weren't talking about a guy being gay or anything. He was just being a f@g.'"

    I get where he's coming from, but I still don't think that's okay
    I can definitely relate to what eminem is saying...growing up I dont know anyone who didnt use "sop being a f@ggot" or youre being a f@g". And like he said, it had nothing to do with homosexuality...it just had to do with the fact that they were being a f@ggot. I wouldnt call an actual gay guy that, but depending on wh Im around, the word is certainly still in my vocabulary. Not gonna say its right or wrong, and maybe it makes me a hypocrite for being for gay rights and using the word, but it just is what it is.

    I never got into the whole saying nig*er thing, but I know people who will use "nog" in a sentence who I wouldnt necessarily say are racist. But then again, Im not black so I wouldnt presume to know what they find offensive. I dont know. Culture is a weird thing.




    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM
  2. Ann Coulter avoids jail
    By PressCoverage in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 04:13 AM
  3. Ann Coulter Accused Of Plagiarism...
    By Walking25 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-08-2006, 02:40 AM
  4. ann coulter doesn't like Roberts
    By finataxia24 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
  5. No Ann Coulter this week
    By Dolphan7 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •