Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My First Mock (three rounds)

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

My First Mock (three rounds)

1. Justin Hunter, WR
    Comment: I know, I know I've been saying get that elite pass rusher in the first. I'm a firm believer that Miami still needs to add an elite pass rusher. But, with the team winning and looking more like maybe an 8-8 type team players like Bjoern Werner, Jarvis Jones and Sam Montgomery should be off the board. It also appears that some of the wideouts that I thought could be had in round 2 may be moving up, players like Stedman Bailey. Keenan Allen and Hunter are the two receivers from this draft who I think have the best ability to be elite. If I'm a scout I'm drooling over Hunter's ability to go up and get the ball. Miami really hasn't had that kind of player since Chris Chambers and Oronde Gadsden. From the standpoint of a quarterback it's very comforting to know that your guy has the best chance at a jump ball. Hunter may go sooner than mid round 1 and I've seen mocks that have him drafted before Allen. His ACL injury may be a concern.

2. Chase Thomas, LB
    Comment: Thomas is one of those guys who probably won't wow the scouts with his athletic ability at the combine, but he's smart and a playmaker. His instincts make him faster than his timed speed and he has the versatility to play inside or out. This guy is a player and with Miami's linebackers getting up in age, getting a young talent here makes sense.

2. Desmond Trufant, CB
    Comment: This is a guy that may move up. A playmaker in the secondary that could allow Miami to move Marshall to safety.

3. Devin Taylor, DE/LB
    Comment: A guy with pass rush potential.

3. Tavon Austin, Wr.
    Comment: Third round might be optimistic for this speedy playmaker, but at 5-9 I think he slides a little.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Outside USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i perfer the other UT WR
    Cordarrelle Patterson in the 2nd round... go DE or CB round 1

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Justin Hunter is just dropping too many passes for my taste. I'd rather go DE in the first anyway.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we definitely need a couple speedy wide receivers...I like Tavon Austin, but think he will go early in the second round. If we take a WR in Round One, I hope it is Keenan Allen. I haven't seen as much of Hunter's game. Robert Woods would also be worth a look. I would go WR and DE with my fist two picks. If we take a LB in round one, I would go with Manti Te'o of Notre Dame. I just like the way he plays even though he may not be the tallest or biggest LB, but neither was Zach Thomas. I also think we need another solid d-back (CB or Safety) and maybe another O-lineman....we could use and upgrade at the Guard position, over Incognito.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    tip: google image searching devin taylor wont yield what you expect
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ireland cannot draft an offensive lineman what-so-ever this year in the first....he may get shot. We do need to upgrade incognito, but we should be able to do that after the 3rd round.

DE or CB is the where we should draft, they take our defense to an elite level. You can get playmakers in the 2nd-3rd that were borderline firsts. We can grab good WR's/TE's in the 2nd.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not crazy about that draft at all.

As the late great Jim Mandich would say - "It doesn't make my toes tingle"
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    I think we definitely need a couple speedy wide receivers...I like Tavon Austin, but think he will go early in the second round. If we take a WR in Round One, I hope it is Keenan Allen. I haven't seen as much of Hunter's game. Robert Woods would also be worth a look. I would go WR and DE with my fist two picks. If we take a LB in round one, I would go with Manti Te'o of Notre Dame. I just like the way he plays even though he may not be the tallest or biggest LB, but neither was Zach Thomas. I also think we need another solid d-back (CB or Safety) and maybe another O-lineman....we could use and upgrade at the Guard position, over Incognito.
    I think the chances of Miami trading back into the first round are pretty good. I could see the team going a lot of different directions. If they get a pass rusher in the 1st, a trade up for a wr maybe Stedman Bailey at the end of round 1 could happen. As to offensive line, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Dolphins moved up for someone like Matthews from Texas A'M if he slides a bit in round 1. He would be an excellent fit for this offense, knowing Sherman's system and with the ability to play guard or tackle if there are injuries. That's assuming Miami is able to land a receiver first. But a Hunter, Matthews start to the draft might not be so bad.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Justin Hunter is just dropping too many passes for my taste. I'd rather go DE in the first anyway.
    If I could get any one player from this draft Jarvis Jones would probably be #1 on my list. I know he's in a 3-4 system, but I think he's versatile enough to make the move to a 4-3 and be the disruptive player this team needs. Georgia uses him all over the place so I don't think system matters that much with him. Bjoern Werner would be high on my list as well. Love the way he plays. I think Miami would have to trade up for either of those guys. Next in line at pass rusher I think would be Sam Montgomery, Jackson Jeffcoat and Barkevious Mingo whose had a down year. I'm just not completely sold on those three. I know a lot will depend on free agency, but I really expect the Dolphins to sign their own guys like Starks, Long, Bush etc. and not major players from other teams.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sam Montgomery I'm not too high on. He reminds me of Derrick Morgan of a couple years ago coming out who people were placing in the same spot, and a Larry English

both failures as 1st round pass rushers in recent memory that remind me of Montgomery. I never thought either of those guys were very special, and I don't think Montgomery has that "wow" factor either. I think Montgomery can be a very solid player who will be a starter, in the mold of Kendall Langford, not a Mike Pouncey who is dominant at his position in every way and looks to be a soon All-Pro (if not already). Montgomery can play, he most certainly won't totally bust like a Vernon Gholston, but to me he's just not a cerebral or a wow special player, or a serious impact guy. Again, in the mold of what Kendall Langford was for us, good, but can be replaced and not like he's a huge loss. Not a Pro-bowler, doesn't make a huge impact - their rookie Brockers is making much more of an impact on the Rams D-line than Langford is. And the best way I can describe Montgomery off the top of my head is I think he will have a Langford-level impact, or maybe even the Jared Odrick we're seeing this year, where you're always wanting more from him. Not a real difference maker, and difference makers is what I value first and foremost in the 1st round.

I guess a much better way of putting it is he's a "low ceiling high floor" guy to me. And I am sick and tired of these types of picks. I'm ready for some serious impact. I want the ceilings through the roof coming to Miami. I want to see clear signs of greatness, not "safe",, so SCREW the safety nets and pack them away down in the basement. Miami already has plenty of the "safe" types on the roster already and one more of them isn't going to make a bit difference at all (the Koa Misi's, the Odrick's, the Fasano's, the Hartline's etc etc of the world). Give me more.

Everyone used to talk about the 90's cowboys having Aikman, Irvin and Emmitt. But those cowboy defenses were loaded with playmakers on that side of the ball. Numerous defenders going to the pro bowl every year because of their playmaking abilities. they were flying all over the place making plays. That's what I want. Impact guys who can clearly turn games around by themselves, not just "system guys" or safe anymore.. we have enough of those types already
    Last edited by Pinkboy; 10-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Quote