Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Fun Group Conversations: Which Assistants...

  1. -1
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,502
    vCash:
    9266
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Fun Group Conversations: Which Assistants...

    ...Could we potentially see leave us for job promotions? Now First and foremost, Mike Sherman is ineligible for the list as he has already been a head coach in the NFL. Please list why you feel these guys could be promoted in some way.

    Here's my list.

    Kevin Coyle DC While our D statistically gives up a lot of yards, I do like what Kevin Coyle has done and feel that if our D continues to improve that he will become a hot candidate to become a head coach. This is a guy I was surprised Cincy let walk as they have been denying teams interviews to make him DC for about 5 years. I think they saw him as the guy to take over if/when Mike Zimmer became a head coach.

    Kacy Rodgers Honestly, have there been many DL coaches better than Rodgers since he joined us if there are any better than him? Back before we hired Mike Nolan, I actually endorsed the idea of promoting Rodgers to DC and when Philbin was hired as head coach, Rodgers was the number 1 coach I didn't want to lose. I honestly feel that Rodgers ability to develop d-linemen while switching schemes from a 3-4 to 4-3 have earned him the chance to be a DC in the league. Will he be a HC candidate in the future? Who knows, but this man is deserving of looks at DC.

    Darren Rizzi Rizzi almost left us to take the Rutgers head coaching job before Frost was named HC. This was the 2nd guy I didn't want to lose. Rizzi was seen as a scape goat when our ST sucked under Bonamogo as he was the assistant and when Bonamogo got fired the ST still struggled a bit. However since then, our ST has gone from a weakness to a huge strength even with Carp's struggles this season. Our kicking (10th), Punting (2nd), and return game (6th) are all top 10 in the league. ST coaches don't normally get looks to be head coach, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve one.

    Jeff Nixon While our RBs have been up and down a bit, I do think Nixon has done a decent job in helping to develop Reggie, DT, and Miller as each in their time this year has shown some improvement in different areas. Still very young as a coach (before coming to us as RB coach last year he was only assistant ST coach in Philly), but has good potential.

    Lou Anarumo Anarumo was a highly respected DB coach in college and saw his players consistently get picked up by NFL teams. While Coyle deserves a lot of credit for the secondary's improvement, Anarumo deserves a lot as well for being the position coach and working on the players technique. Could easily get a look at DC

    Jim Turner Known as a great OL coach in the college ranks. Was a guy Urban Meyer actively wanted to get to be the Buckeyes OL coach, but Turner didn't want to leave Texas unless he went pro. The OL has shown constant improvement under Turner and we all know what he did for John Jerry's development. Being an OL coach will hold him back, but both our HC and OC started as OL coaches and ended up being pretty good and aggressive OCs. Then again, our old HC was an OL coach as well so there is a negative side to everything
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    uk_dolfan's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2012
    Posts:
    7,140
    vCash:
    16458
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    I think the only one likely to go soon is Mike Sherman, who is only really slumming it as an o.c. because of his friendship with Philbin.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    datruth55's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    11,292
    vCash:
    3040
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Not worried about any of these guys getting the call...how many guys from Sparano's first staff in 2008 got the call for taking a 1-15 team to 11-5? One season is normally not enough to build a resume on.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    MadDog 88's Avatar
    Teddy Westside

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    13,324
    vCash:
    27403
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I see the potential of 9 head coaches getting fired after the season:

    Carolina, Dallas, Philly, San Diego, KC, Cleveland, Cinci, Buffalo and the Jets.

    Thats a lot of opportunity for promotion and if there was one coach I think could move on, even with only a year as a coordinator, its Coyle.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Nublar7's Avatar
    FinHeaven Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2003
    Posts:
    35,168
    vCash:
    129530
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    If Sherman leaves, I assume we will also lose Zac Taylor.

    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,502
    vCash:
    9266
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Not worried about any of these guys getting the call...how many guys from Sparano's first staff in 2008 got the call for taking a 1-15 team to 11-5? One season is normally not enough to build a resume on.
    2 got interviews but were passed up; Todd Bowles and Paul Pasqualoni. Hell the Rams wanted to interview Bowles this year but we denied them (obviously he was just to satisfy Rooney rule)

    The point of the thread was to see if anybody felt any of our guys are good enough to me promoted.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    datruth55's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    11,292
    vCash:
    3040
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    I see the potential of 9 head coaches getting fired after the season:

    Carolina, Dallas, Philly, San Diego, KC, Cleveland, Cinci, Buffalo and the Jets.

    Thats a lot of opportunity for promotion and if there was one coach I think could move on, even with only a year as a coordinator, its Coyle.
    Cinci is not getting rid of Marvin Lewis...this is classic Marvin Lewis...in the playoffs one year, out the next, in the playoffs the following year...it's a cyclical pattern with him.

    If San Diego fires Turner and Philly fires Reid...Reid will be San Diego's new coach.

    Don't see the Jets giving up on Rex Ryan just yet. He has the built in excuse of injuries to key players. He will get another season.

    You're basically looking at Philly, KC, Dallas, Carolina, Buffalo and Cleveland...which is still very high...normally turnover is about 4 in a season. I think there was only 4 last year (Oakland, Rams, Indy and us). The Broncos OC was a hot name last year...he will get a lot of play this year. Zimmer will get another shot this go around as well. Saban is being talked about in Cleveland although I highly doubt he leaves college. Bruce Ariens has taken the Colts to a 3-1 record as interim coach...he should get some action. I would think that the OC and DC in San Fran will get some looks. Kevin Gilbride got some looks last year and could be in play again this year.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Ferretsquig's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2002
    Posts:
    7,435
    vCash:
    1559
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It'll be interesting to see if Sherman generates any buzz. Statistically this offense is going to be awful, even if Tannehill keeps progressing at an amazing rate, and his last head coaching gig did not end well. I think it'll take a couple years to clean off the stench, and even then the interest will probably come more from college than the pros. I'm not sure Sherman wants to go through that again.

    As high as Dolphin fans are on their team right now I don't think the team is good enough for the younger assistant coaches to generate much buzz. There's no wunderkind Garrett or Payton or McDaniels that'll make a fanbase swoon. And there isn't any facet at the game where the phins are dominant or innovative.....its just not an exciting team.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    datruth55's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    11,292
    vCash:
    3040
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    2 got interviews but were passed up; Todd Bowles and Paul Pasqualoni. Hell the Rams wanted to interview Bowles this year but we denied them (obviously he was just to satisfy Rooney rule)

    The point of the thread was to see if anybody felt any of our guys are good enough to me promoted.
    Bowles has always been used to fill the Rooney rule...as sad as that is. If he turns the Eagles defense around he may get some legit shots this time around...could save Andy Reids job too.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,502
    vCash:
    9266
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Cinci is not getting rid of Marvin Lewis...this is classic Marvin Lewis...in the playoffs one year, out the next, in the playoffs the following year...it's a cyclical pattern with him.

    If San Diego fires Turner and Philly fires Reid...Reid will be San Diego's new coach.

    Don't see the Jets giving up on Rex Ryan just yet. He has the built in excuse of injuries to key players. He will get another season.

    You're basically looking at Philly, KC, Dallas, Carolina, Buffalo and Cleveland...which is still very high...normally turnover is about 4 in a season. I think there was only 4 last year (Oakland, Rams, Indy and us). The Broncos OC was a hot name last year...he will get a lot of play this year. Zimmer will get another shot this go around as well. Saban is being talked about in Cleveland although I highly doubt he leaves college. Bruce Ariens has taken the Colts to a 3-1 record as interim coach...he should get some action. I would think that the OC and DC in San Fran will get some looks. Kevin Gilbride got some looks last year and could be in play again this year.
    Vic Fangio (9ers DC) has reportedly come out and said he has no interest in being a head coach. The OC Roman though might be, he almost got the Penn State job. I don't think Arians is that interested. Gillbride... it's funny for as good of an OC he has been for the Giants, only Al Davis ever showed interest in him
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 01:00 PM
  2. UK police consider monitoring conversations on streets
    By Celtkin in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 12:34 PM
  3. Conversations you've had with fins players...
    By heffer111 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •