Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Hasn't George Bush Campaigned for Romney?

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why Hasn't George Bush Campaigned for Romney?

[QUOTE]Earlier this week -- as he was barnstorming the country for Barack Obama -- former President Bill Clinton subbed in for the president as Obama flew back to Washington to oversee the country's response to a major hurricane.

That would seem an appropriate context to ask the question, why hasn't the most recent Republican President, George Bush, been barnstorming the country for Mitt Romney?
    It says a lot that for most Americans this sounds like an absurd question.

Clinton was a major featured speaker at the Democratic Convention. Bush wasn't even invited to Tampa.

Bush is not campaigning for Romney because he and the policies he implemented are politically radioactive to most American voters.
    George Bush is off in political Siberia because the Romney campaign is doing everything humanly possible to prevent voters from realizing that Romney intends to return precisely those same failed Bush policies to the White House if he is elected president next week.

Let's start with the matter that is uppermost in the country's attention -- the hurricane.

It's fair to say that his response to Hurricane Katrina was not Bush's finest hour. But Bush's failure to respond quickly and effectively to Katrina was not simply a reflection of his administration's incompetence. It was a reflection of the fact that his administration didn't believe in government.
    Natural disasters make people remember why it is so important that we have a society where we have each other's back. They make us remember that government is the name we give to the things we choose to do together.

Natural disasters like Hurricane Sandy make us remember why the law of the jungle -- why a self-centered, irresponsible, unbridled focus on you and you alone -- isn't what we learned in Sunday School.

Even far right New Jersey Governor Chris Christie reprimanded New Jersey citizens who refused to evacuate low-lying areas because they would put the lives of first responders at risk -- because they had a responsibility to each other.

Bush -- and his response to Katrina -- exemplified the right wing's failure to understand that most Americans believe in a society where we are all in this together, not all in this alone.
    And Mitt Romney completely shares Bush's view. Romney actually proposed eliminating the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) and hand over responsibility for response to disasters to the states. Romney ignores that when disaster strikes, we are Americans first. We have each other's back whether we are from Mississippi or New Jersey. We do that because it's right. We also do it because while disaster may strike our neighbors in New Jersey today, it could strike those of us who live in Illinois tomorrow.

But of course there are many other reasons why the Republicans have failed to ask George Bush to campaign for their presidential ticket. Two stand out.[QUOTE]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-creamer/george-bush-campaigned-romney_b_2047102.html?utm_hp_ref=politics
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Because he's a blubbering redneck idiot.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cause he is a C student and C students dont go above and beyond they do the bare minimum..
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalXbox LogoPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo

Re: Why Hasn't George Bush Campaigned for Romney?

I would suspect that it is because he doesn't like him as a candidate. I mean the republican party as a whole isn't too big on him. You just have to look at the primaries to know that.

Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dubya won't be an active campaigner until at least 2020.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Romney is greatly disliked on a personal level by most of the Republican establishment -- including the Bushes -- who see him clearly as the hack and phoney that he is. There's even a scene in the book Game Change where during a debate in '08 the Republican candidates -- besides Romney -- are all in the men's room during a debate and they're just ripping on him. Huckabee and McCain in particular seem disgusted by him.

The only one of the Bushes that's taken an actual liking to Romney is George H.W. Bush, which makes sense when you learn that Bush's father was a successful businessman and senator (similar to Romney's father, a successful businessman and governor) who never captured the top job. In both Romney and Bush's case, I think, the main motivating force behind their public service is/was a desire to outstrip the accomplishments of their fathers, which given how successful both were means nothing short of the Presidency.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 10-31-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    I think in general the whole neocon wing of the Republican party has gone into hiding only to make brief appearances here or there.

I don't think it is as much a dislike for Romney though I don't doubt that it exists.
    The republicans generally fall into line better than democrats. So I believe if dubya had gotten a directive from above to stump for Romney he would have done it. The republicans are desperate to win so I have to assume if they believed he would have believe he would be an asset they would have sent him out.

I think the Republican establishment views Bush as a net negative and are trying to sever any connections between him and Romney.
    Trotting them out together would only support the Democratic narrative that Romney is a continuation of "failed" Bush policies.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanma View Post
    I think in general the whole neocon wing of the Republican party has gone into hiding only to make brief appearances here or there.

I don't think it is as much a dislike for Romney though I don't doubt that it exists.
    The republicans generally fall into line better than democrats. So I believe if dubya had gotten a directive from above to stump for Romney he would have done it. The republicans are desperate to win so I have to assume if they believed he would have believe he would be an asset they would have sent him out.

I think the Republican establishment views Bush as a net negative and are trying to sever any connections between him and Romney.
    Trotting them out together would only support the Democratic narrative that Romney is a continuation of "failed" Bush policies.
    I disagree with your first sentence. Most of Romney's foreign policy advisers are from the Bush era.

Romney keeps a large group of foreign-policy advisers, eight of whom participated in the early neoconservative group Project for a New American Century think tank, founded in 1997 and headed by William Kristol, the Nationís Ari Berman reported in May. In the same month, The New York Timesí Magazineís David Sanger reported on discontent within that big team, with some complaining that Romney only listens to John Bolton, the former U.N. ambassador under president Bush.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...oreign-policy/

Cheney spoke out for him. So did Jeb Bush and his grand dad. Just to name a couple. I think the reason why Dubya is staying out of it is that the economic collapse happened under his watch and any direct association would hurt Romney big time.
    You have to remember that most of the people don't really know who was behind the scenes and created the foreign and domestic policies. Even Cheney won't hurt him. For the average person he was just the VP. But mention Bush...
    Pretty much everybody is supporting Romney publicly (heck Rove is running a Super PAC for Romney) except #43. But the neocons are running things for him.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    8/31/14 Never Forget

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    I disagree with your first sentence. Most of Romney's foreign policy advisers are from the Bush era.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...oreign-policy/

Cheney spoke out for him. So did Jeb Bush and his grand dad. Just to name a couple. I think the reason why Dubya is staying out of it is that the economic collapse happened under his watch and any direct association would hurt Romney big time.
    You have to remember that most of the people don't really know who was behind the scenes and created the foreign and domestic policies. Even Cheney won't hurt him. For the average person he was just the VP. But mention Bush...
    Pretty much everybody is supporting Romney publicly (heck Rove is running a Super PAC for Romney) except #43. But the neocons are running things for him.
    I think he means public appearances, such as Bill Clinton has been for Obama or even McCain has been for Romney.

In my opinion theres a bit of a difference between what Cheney and Bush have been doing, which is speak out in support for Romney when confronted on the air, and what McCain is doing which is fly around to various fundraisers and campaign speeches and boast their support for him.

That said i think your both right. Bush is political poison at the moment. Democrats successfully demonized him, though its not like he didnt give them enough ammunition. To be fair, i think Bush is more then pleased at being able to avoid politics for the time being. He will return when everything has blown over. The wars should be over and the economy will continue to recover by the 2016 election, though Tentra is probably right that we wont see him before 2020.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I think he means public appearances, such as Bill Clinton has been for Obama or even McCain has been for Romney.

In my opinion theres a bit of a difference between what Cheney and Bush have been doing, which is speak out in support for Romney when confronted on the air, and what McCain is doing which is fly around to various fundraisers and campaign speeches and boast their support for him.

That said i think your both right. Bush is political poison at the moment. Democrats successfully demonized him, though its not like he didnt give them enough ammunition. To be fair, i think Bush is more then pleased at being able to avoid politics for the time being. He will return when everything has blown over. The wars should be over and the economy will continue to recover by the 2016 election, though Tentra is probably right that we wont see him before 2020.
    I might have misread Trojanman. Sorry Trojanman.
    Quote Quote