Former Colin Powell top aide on Republicans: 'My party is full of racists’
Colin Powell's former chief of staff has blasted the Republican Party for being “full of racists.”

The biting assessment from retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson came in response to controversy over a comment made by Mitt Romney campaign co-chair John Sununu, who suggested Powell endorsed President Obama because both men are African-American.

Wilkerson called Sununu’s comments “an unfortunate slip of words,” but said he believes a larger issue besets the GOP.

“My party, unfortunately, is the bastion of those people — not all of them, but most of them — who are still basing their positions on race,” Wilkerson told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz on Friday.
“Let me just be candid: My party is full of racists,” he said.

Wilkerson also indicated that he believes race is one of the biggest obstacles President Obama faces in the White House.

“The real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin,” he said.

“That's despicable,” he added

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election-2012/powell-aide-gop-full-racists-article-1.1193673#ixzz2AtNjKLhx