Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Jeff Ireland good at drafting but sucks when it comes to free agents...why?

  1. -1
    fisi's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2010
    Posts:
    987
    vCash:
    5620
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Jeff Ireland good at drafting but sucks when it comes to free agents...why?

    Gotto admit the guy has drastically improved his drafting (shall I say) prowess by this past draft alone, he i also very good at trades but just can't seem to get the right player especially wide recievers through free agency.

    i think one of the reasons is he always wait until its too late to sign a player. Wait and see approach always gurantee one thing and that is scrubs. You either get scrubs or overpays for good talent thats left. Hopefully he strike it rich in FA next year and we could all put that to rest.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    13Dolfan87's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    842
    vCash:
    1429
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You don't win in the NFL through free agency. Just ask Dan Snyder.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    12,149
    vCash:
    8406
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Our starting FA's are Wake, Starks, Soliai (?), Dansby, Burnett, and Marshall on D. Lane, Cog, and Bess on O, with Moore, Gaffney, McD, and Trusnick contributing. I just list what we now have, and don't know where we would be without them. I put a ? on Soliai as he was re-signed, don't recall if he made it to FA or was signed before he got there.

    I believe that we have done better than most other NFL teams in FA but, have not done any research to compare.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Dolph N.Fan's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2010
    Posts:
    4,651
    vCash:
    3112
    Loc:
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who said Ireland is good at drafting?
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Nublar7's Avatar
    FinHeaven Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2003
    Posts:
    35,212
    vCash:
    131147
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Good thing the Dolphins are adapting Philbin's Green Bay philosophy of not using free agency and building through the draft.

    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    12,149
    vCash:
    8406
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Good thing the Dolphins are adapting Philbin's Green Bay philosophy of not using free agency and building through the draft.
    I don't think we can say that, at least not yet. IF Peyton wanted to come here, he would be a Dolphin, regardless of what Philbin wanted to do. Ireland still has final say, and next year will tell us a lot more on how we address FA. We will have a TON of money, and HAVE TO spend most of it.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Nublar7's Avatar
    FinHeaven Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2003
    Posts:
    35,212
    vCash:
    131147
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    I don't think we can say that, at least not yet. IF Peyton wanted to come here, he would be a Dolphin, regardless of what Philbin wanted to do. Ireland still has final say, and next year will tell us a lot more on how we address FA. We will have a TON of money, and HAVE TO spend most of it.
    Peyton Manning is the obvious exception. All the actions after that Manning derby and comments from Ireland and Philbin point to drafting players and developing them then being big players in the free agency market. Don't be surprised when most of that $50 million cap space goes to retaining players and not a lot of big name free agents from other teams. They might add some low level depth type players in free agency, and maybe they make a run at one big name guy, but the team will be built through the draft.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    1,034
    vCash:
    4191
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    Someone post Ireland's drafts since Parcell's gave him full control.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    12,149
    vCash:
    8406
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Peyton Manning is the obvious exception. All the actions after that Manning derby and comments from Ireland and Philbin point to drafting players and developing them then being big players in the free agency market. Don't be surprised when most of that $50 million cap space goes to retaining players and not a lot of big name free agents from other teams. They might add some low level depth type players in free agency, and maybe they make a run at one big name guy, but the team will be built through the draft.
    Agree that this is the way it appears, and I'm all for it. I'm thinking we go after one BIG addition, with WR looking to be the best option with who is supposed to be available, and a mid range guy on the OL. JMO

    Imagine, if you will, how this team would have looked with Peyton, for better or worse.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Phantom's Avatar
    Phantom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    5,084
    vCash:
    4780
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You will need to have a combination of both to be sucessfull when building a team.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
  2. reasons why Jeff Ireland sucks
    By Casas9425 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 05:29 PM
  3. Jeff Ireland tiped his hand Drafting a Defence player ??
    By Dolphins101 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
  4. All Free Agents with Parcells/Ireland history
    By ChrisJNelson in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 01:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •