Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Election Day 2012: President Obama is the new Ronald Reagan

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Icon 26 Politics Election Day 2012: President Obama is the new Ronald Reagan

Democrats have found their Ronald Reagan.

Yes, it’s true that millions of voters soured on Barack Obama a few years ago, and blame him for rising debt and a job market that, despite having come back from the crisis of 2008, is still limping. He won’t suddenly get popular with the talk radio crowd.

And let’s not forget: Romney may wind up besting Obama in the popular vote when it is all counted. This isn’t some overwhelming mandate. The country is painfully, and probably permanently, divided.

But stubborn doubts about Mitt Romney’s character, and the weight of an unpopular Republican agenda, were simply too heavy a burden for the challenger to bear. In the GOP infighting that will follow, we’ll hear that Romney lost because he was not conservative enough. But remember: He only gained momentum after his Denver reinvention. His moderate streak was not his problem; it was his biggest asset.

He showed himself to be too hard-line on immigration to win over enough Latinos. He couldn’t wash off enough of the stench of getting defined as a plutocrat who cared the most, by far, about the wealthy, and the least about the 47%.

Voters, clearly aware that the economy is on the mend — especially here in Ohio, where unemployment is 7%, including 5.7% in the central part of the state — validated Obama as the better leader. They thanked him for rescuing the auto industry when Romney said his answer would have been “no way.”

It was not by a large margin, but it was enough. The difference came from younger voters, and African-Americans, from immigrants and from women. The Democrats have assembled what they hope will be a permanent majority. (That’s not my assertion. It comes from a very smart, and very depressed, conservative friend who is convinced the country is now in permanent, irrevocable decline.)

Conservatives see a bleak future. Obama’s coalition sees hope.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/president-obama-new-ronald-reagan-article-1.1197844#ixzz2BZX4DB6A
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The title to the article probably caused a few of our more right leaning members to go into cardiac arrest.

Anyways, it makes an interesting point. Democrats have a collection of different voter groups that could propel them for years to come.
    Personally, i suspect Obama will move to protect his legacy and not make any more big moves. There has to be an arraignment made concerning the debt, but other than that the only thing i could see Obama jumping into is immigration reform. Its something both parties want and i dont believe the gap is to large to build a bridge between them. As well, Republicans will jump at the chance to look better to latino voters.

Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 2
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Election Day 2012: President Obama is the new Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    The title to the article probably caused a few of our more right leaning members to go into cardiac arrest.

Anyways, it makes an interesting point. Democrats have a collection of different voter groups that could propel them for years to come.
    Personally, i suspect Obama will move to protect his legacy and not make any more big moves. There has to be an arraignment made concerning the debt, but other than that the only thing i could see Obama jumping into is immigration reform. Its something both parties want and i dont believe the gap is to large to build a bridge between them. As well, Republicans will jump at the chance to look better to latino voters.
    I hope you are right but fear that regardless if what Obama said last night, he will go full bore radical now that the election is over. A little moderate politics and reaching across the isle would go a very long way with me but I just don't see it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    well statistically he is the first since Raegan to get 50% plus of the popular vote two straight elections (assuming the popular vote doesnt move all that much)

With that said, I do think Obama helped ushered in a new coalition of states, and the Republican base is dwindling. Things could change quick, but NV, NM, Virginia and Colorado are big deals.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Obama destroyed the Reagan coalition. He is going to be the hero of the Democrats for a long time.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    Obama destroyed the Reagan coalition. He is going to be the hero of the Democrats for a long time.
    I'm saving this quote for future reference.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I'm saving this quote for future reference.
    I hope you do. The positive economic numbers going forward are going to allow Democrats to hold him up as the standard of their party.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    I hope you do. The positive economic numbers going forward are going to allow Democrats to hold him up as the standard of their party.

We'll see about that. Only time will tell.
    Quote Quote