Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins...

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Considering that we have no definitive proof.
    Another one bites the dust.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's pathetic that the face of the Republican party has repeatedly shown his moronic racist and gender discriminatory attitude and no one in that party dares to piss him off. As long as Rush preaches his hate the GOPtards will be vulnerable to social issues and continue to see shrinking support.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just how much influence does Limbaugh have, though? It's easy to denounce him if no one cares but if there's a small army out there who won't vote for you unless you're deferential to his views then that's the problem.

I mean, just think to that incident where Limbaugh called that woman a slut. No major Republican that I'm aware of came out and bashed that as the vile **** it was, which means they made the calculation that they stood to lose more votes than gain by repudiating it.

Assume for a minute they're right. Who are those people? I mean, a solid 98% of my family are Republicans. There might be a dingbat or two in there willing to stand behind some tortured and misogynistic version of that logic, but not many.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: And so it begins...

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Just how much influence does Limbaugh have, though? It's easy to denounce him if no one cares but if there's a small army out there who won't vote for you unless you're deferential to his views then that's the problem.

I mean, just think to that incident where Limbaugh called that woman a slut. No major Republican that I'm aware of came out and bashed that as the vile **** it was, which means they made the calculation that they stood to lose more votes than gain by repudiating it.

Assume for a minute they're right. Who are those people? I mean, a solid 98% of my family are Republicans. There might be a dingbat or two in there willing to stand behind some tortured and misogynistic version of that logic, but not many.
    You know that I am fairly conservative and I certainly don't take Rush very seriously. He is like Howard Stern for conservatives...a lot of shock, not much substance. Sadly, this is what "journalism" had come to...propaganda. Rush, Beck, Matthews, Maddow, O'Donnel...same BS propaganda from opposite sides of the fence.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seems that the Republican Party is doing some soul searching. This is a good thing. Just to hold onto the "base" a national candidate has to pander to way too diverse a group of people, all the while alienating the voting groups they need to reach to win. Even W in both of his wins won by a finger nail. The Republican base is not enough to win a national election anymore. So do the Republicans need to completely reinvent themselves? No of course not. What they do need to do is stop alienating the people they need to vote for them. They need to win over people that agree with them on fiscal issues. They need to change their we know best attitude and try to relate to people that have not voted Republican before.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You know that I am fairly conservative and I certainly don't take Rush very seriously. He is like Howard Stern for conservatives...a lot of shock, not much substance. Sadly, this is what "journalism" had come to...propaganda. Rush, Beck, Matthews, Maddow, O'Donnel...same BS propaganda from opposite sides of the fence.

Maddow hardly belongs on that list. Her more appropriate opposite number is Hannity or Brit Hume. Chris Matthew's opposite number similarly isn't Beck or Rush, it's O'Reilly. I've never watched O'Donnell so I don't know.

There is no equivalent among the liberals that I know of to Rush or Glenn Beck or Ann Coulter, where craziness is matched by huge audiences who won't stand for seeing that craziness repudiated it. Bill Maher maybe? He's a comedian after all, like Beck. Keith Olbermann? At least he's a professional journalist, which neither Rush nor Beck nor Coulter is.

But anyway you slice it, I think you'd agree there's no liberal media figure whose words carry as much weight in Washington as Rush Limbaugh. So while you might not take him very seriously there is obviously enough people who very much do.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks

Good point. Bill maher and Chris Matthews same the same polarizing **** as Limbaugh. I don't take any of these commentators seriously, the left only looks at Limbaugh and are just too ignorant to look at the same characters on their side.

i don't mind maddow, I actually watch her show sometimes and agree with her on some things. Ed Schultz and o'donnell are steaming piles of **** and are easily as bad as Limbaugh.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    The POFO bully.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cybertron
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think the left doesn't see the similarity in idiocy of their talking heads. But what the Republicans can't admit is their talking heads are doing them more damage than good on a national scale. It's easy to point to Rush et al and it hurts them with undecided voters.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    Good point. Bill maher and Chris Matthews same the same polarizing **** as Limbaugh. I don't take any of these commentators seriously, the left only looks at Limbaugh and are just too ignorant to look at the same characters on their side.
    I hate when people compare Hannity, Beck, or Rush to Bill Maher. There is a huge difference. Bill Maher is a comedian talking politics. Rush is a political radio host. You don't see Rush going on tour doing comedy gigs.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post

i don't mind maddow, I actually watch her show sometimes and agree with her on some things. Ed Schultz and o'donnell are steaming piles of **** and are easily as bad as Limbaugh.
    Oh, Ed Schultz. He's definitely a putz. Terrible commentator. But... Schultz gets like 4 million viewers weekly on his TV show, while Limbaugh gets 14+ million listeners weekly on the radio.

It's not equivalent.
    Quote Quote