Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of Rasmussen fetishism.

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The end of Rasmussen fetishism.

In Colorado, Rasmussen polled at 50%-47% for Romney. The actual result was 51%-47% for Obama, the reverse of Rasmussen's poll.
    In Florida, Rasmussen polled at 50%-48% for Romney. The actual result was 50%-49% for Obama, the reverse of Rasmussen's poll.
    In Iowa, Rasmussen polled at 49%-48% for Romney. The actual result was 52%-47% for Obama, the reverse of Rasmussen's poll, doubled.
    In New Hampshire, Rasmussen polled at 50%-48% for Romney. The actual result was 52%-47% for Obama, the reverse of Rasmussen's poll.
    In Ohio, Rasmussen polled at a 49%-49% tie. The actual result was 50%-48% for Obama, a two-point swing.
    In Virginia, Rasmussen polled at 50%-48% for Romney. The actual result was 50%-48% for Obama, the reverse of Rasmussen's poll.
    In Wisconsin, Rasmussen polled at a 49%-49% tie. The actual result was 52-47% for Obama, a six-point swing.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...publican-shill
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yep... they were the most biased in the last election, as I pointed out in the prediction thread (only to be quickly rebuked)
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have to wonder what happened. There are only 2 choices here. Incompetent pollsters or someone was blatantly lying. I suppose it's possible their sample size was too small. Or maybe even they did a bad job of getting an even spread of all ideologies in the sample size. Both of those are JV mistakes, and would mean they deserve every bit of flack they get. The other is someone high up in rasmussen blatantly changed the data to favor Romney. I'm not quite quite sure which is worse...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's all in the "adjustments" to the raw numbers. They can take one set of results and make them say whatever they want (and they did just that).
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I was hoping this would be the end of polling fetishism in general.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you know how to read them and what to look for, polls can be pretty useful. Certainly more useful than the amorphous "impressions" and "feelings" of politicos.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I was hoping this would be the end of polling fetishism in general.
    Why would it? Polling overall was more accurate in 2012 than it has been in years.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    The Republicans were enclosed in a fantasy land of their own rules and numbers. Now it is the hard reality of things.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

http://www.economist.com/news/united...ke-white-house

Another excellent Economist commentary on what we are talking about.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Other than possibly for enjoyment & time-killers in media coverage, I don't see a real practical use in trying to predict who's gonna vote for who. Maybe if you're with the campaign team itself, & want to know where you should spend more money & time on I could see that, but for you & I? I don't really get it. Perhaps there's some practical application I've missed that you all could enlighten me about.

Now, if this is an entertainment issue, than that's another thing entirely. If you get excited about checking polls, more power to you; far be it from me to judge what brings people joy.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Other than possibly for enjoyment & time-killers in media coverage, I don't see a real practical use in trying to predict who's gonna vote for who. Maybe if you're with the campaign team itself, & want to know where you should spend more money & time on I could see that, but for you & I? I don't really get it. Perhaps there's some practical application I've missed that you all could enlighten me about.

Now, if this is an entertainment issue, than that's another thing entirely. If you get excited about checking polls, more power to you; far be it from me to judge what brings people joy.
    Elections are basically one big game played throughout the entire race. The polls function as sort of an unofficial "score". Now, yes, only the score at the end of the game matters. But keeping track of the score throughout the game has it's own interest.

It's like anything else. If you care about the outcome, you're going to be interested in updates on the likely nature of that outcome.
    Quote Quote