Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: United States of Racism

1. -101
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    BTW...just want to announce that I have appropriated the word ostentatious. None of you may use that word now for fear it will offend me and any other person that's ever had to see someones bling.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

2. -102
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    BTW...just want to announce that I have appropriated the word ostentatious. None of you may use that word now for fear it will offend me and any other person that's ever had to see someones bling.
    I have no idea why you're acting like this. Whether or not you agree with it, the fact is that unless you're black, calling a black person the N word is pretty much the most offensive thing you can do to them. It's just a fact. However, they took the word and began using it amongst themselves in a completely different way than it had been in the past. It is only appropriate for them to use it that way. Arguing the merits of it and trying to prove otherwise is like trying to argue than when it rains, it's not really water falling from the sky. It's fact that this is the linguistic use of the word. This is irrefutable. So trying to argue that a non-black person calling a black person the N word is not racist is the equivalent of saying 1 + 1 does not equal 2. You're smart guy Mo, I have no idea why you're taking such a ridiculous position on this topic...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -103
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "Yankee" used to be a slur used by the British against Americans. We appropriated it, used it amongst ourselves after a while it was no longer the fighting word it had once been. That's the American way.

But it takes time. And it's up to the offending party to decide when it's okay. And everybody knows this.
    Quote Quote  

4. -104

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I have no idea why you're acting like this. Whether or not you agree with it, the fact is that unless you're black, calling a black person the N word is pretty much the most offensive thing you can do to them. It's just a fact. However, they took the word and began using it amongst themselves in a completely different way than it had been in the past. It is only appropriate for them to use it that way. Arguing the merits of it and trying to prove otherwise is like trying to argue than when it rains, it's not really water falling from the sky. It's fact that this is the linguistic use of the word. This is irrefutable. So trying to argue that a non-black person calling a black person the N word is not racist is the equivalent of saying 1 + 1 does not equal 2. You're smart guy Mo, I have no idea why you're taking such a ridiculous position on this topic...
    No...it is not "fact". It is popular opinion. And i consider myself reasonably smart, and i consider you to be intelligent. What i will always refuse to accept is that any person or people may appropriate a WORD and deny anyone else the use of said word. Again, i have heard black people in arguments call each other "nigga" and they were not using it as a term of endearment. So your argument is not valid.

Nothing should be ok for one person and not another. It's what the whole damn Civil Rights movement was about. The fact is, i rarely use the term, but i won't accept that Kat Williams can say "nigga" and i can't.
    Quote Quote  

5. -105

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    "Yankee" used to be a slur used by the British against Americans. We appropriated it, used it amongst ourselves after a while it was no longer the fighting word it had once been. That's the American way.

But it takes time. And it's up to the offending party to decide when it's okay. And everybody knows this.
    Hmmmmm....So, when someone in a third world country today says "Yankee Go Home", they really mean they love us, but we have overstayed our welcome?
    Gotcha.......btw, when does the offending party come off the hook? Do we have to wait for Everyone that takes offense to stop being offended, or is it simple majority amnesty for the offensive word? And since Southerners can say Yankee in a playful or angry way, does that mean Yankee still belongs to people north of the Mason Dixon? Wow, if only your argument was as simple as you seem to want to make it.

And Everybody does not know something, contrary to your conjecture. It's impossible. If you said the sky is blue, theres always someone to disagree with you. They are the people who make life amusing, or irritating, depending on your outlook
    Quote Quote  

6. -106
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "Do as I say and not as I do" is never an effective way to get your point across.
    Quote Quote  

7. -107
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hmmmmm....So, when someone in a third world country today says "Yankee Go Home", they really mean they love us, but we have overstayed our welcome?
    No, no, no ... "Yanka" is the term of endearment. "Yanka go home" is a friendly way of calling BS. It's akin to "n-a get out of here".

"Yankee go home" is extremely offensive and should be immediately reported to the PC police.
    Quote Quote  

8. -108
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gotcha.......btw, when does the offending party come off the hook? Do we have to wait for Everyone that takes offense to stop being offended, or is it simple majority amnesty for the offensive word? And since Southerners can say Yankee in a playful or angry way, does that mean Yankee still belongs to people north of the Mason Dixon? Wow, if only your argument was as simple as you seem to want to make it.

And Everybody does not know something, contrary to your conjecture. It's impossible. If you said the sky is blue, theres always someone to disagree with you. They are the people who make life amusing, or irritating, depending on your outlook
    The sky is blue. People who deny it are... stupid. So, I don't think you meant it this way but it's actually a good analogy for this argument. Well done.
    Quote Quote  

9. -109
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No...it is not "fact". It is popular opinion. And i consider myself reasonably smart, and i consider you to be intelligent. What i will always refuse to accept is that any person or people may appropriate a WORD and deny anyone else the use of said word. Again, i have heard black people in arguments call each other "nigga" and they were not using it as a term of endearment. So your argument is not valid.

Nothing should be ok for one person and not another. It's what the whole damn Civil Rights movement was about. The fact is, i rarely use the term, but i won't accept that Kat Williams can say "nigga" and i can't.
    It is valid, and you know it. Black people calling each other the N word is vastly different than anyone else calling a black person that. Saying otherwise is being willfully ignorant. It's a social convention that everyone accepts. Well, everyone except racists. But I've posted here long enough to know that you're not a racist, so I really don't know what point you're trying to make. Just playing devil's advocate maybe...?
    Quote Quote  

10. -110
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You do.....opinions are like Corvettes...every Ahole gets one
    That hurts Mo.
    Quote Quote