Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: United States of Racism

1. -21
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I dont need a lesson in logical fallacies. Thanks though.

I dont know what to tell you if you think calling a black person a monkey usually carries the same connotation as it would towards a white man.
    To be fair, the inherit racism in calling a black person a monkey is historical, and history has always been a fluid subject to Statler.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    Talking smack? Is that all this is to you? A sports event? I was merely making a prediction based on past elections, it was a prediction that many analysts agreed with. However, I was wrong, I didn't realize that if you scare single women enough by lying to them they'll re-elect anyone. A 3 million vote margin in a country with over 300 million people is hardly a butt spanking, but maybe your standards are set a little lower than mine. I think this is clearly demonstrated whenever you rave about how awesome 8 percent unemployment is. Oh well, you brought the next four years upon yourself, I canít say you have my sympathies.
    Can't argue with that. Republicans did such a brilliant job scaring and alienating women that they had to vote for Obama. Appreciate the self-reflection Statler, its a nice change.

Although it apparently didnt last long. Still loving how members from the party of personal responsibility can only blame everyone else.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Calling a white person a monkey carries a little less historical baggage than calling a black person a monkey. Just sayin'.
    Calling the 365 people who tweeted that bull**** monkeys is insulting to the monkeys.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Calling the 365 people who tweeted that bull**** monkeys is insulting to the monkeys.
    Yep. Cant say Im above a good natured racial or politically incorrect joke, but its gotta be good natured and funny. Those tweets are neither. Well, I did laugh at them, but it was more of a feeling sorry for people like that kinda laugh.

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Calling a white person a monkey carries a little less historical baggage than calling a black person a monkey. Just sayin'.
    So there are degrees of offensiveness??? As far as i know, no matter if i called a woman a beech or a C word....she got pissed

Does anyone have a rule book they can lend me? Back in my day, something was either offensive or it wasn't......and there were no real degrees unless you called a triple dog dare........

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    So there are degrees of offensiveness??? As far as i know, no matter if i called a woman a beech or a C word....she got pissed

Does anyone have a rule book they can lend me? Back in my day, something was either offensive or it wasn't......and there were no real degrees unless you called a triple dog dare........
    Come on man if I call a white dude a "monkey" he isn't going to take offense to it, at least 9 times out of 10. Racial slurs are based on race, the C word is a gender base slur not a racial slur. Back in my day you didn't need a rule book to figure out what was or wasn't offensive to someone or in what company you could or couldn't use the slur.

If I walk into a room full of my male football buddies and someone isn't drinking and say "pull the tampon out of you C" it isn't going to offend anyone (at least not my friends) but if I say that to my woman, I'm sleeping on the couch.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Yes. As someone who has offended alot of women in my time, let me explain. If i were to call a women a very rude individual, in all likelyhood they would probably take offense but remain mostly calm. If i were to tell them to get back in the kitchen, they would get offended and angered. If i were to belittle their families, history, painful personal experience, religion, ethnicity, etc, they would probably commit violence against me.

Of course there is "varying degrees" of offensiveness. This is the real world. Things have happened to certain groups of individuals. There actually has been wide spread discrimination in the history of humanity. Calling someone a jerk is not the same as calling someone the N word and suggesting they are a "porch monkey who needs to go back to working the field". I recently read an article about how a President(or prime minister or whatever the title was) was ordering his government to create a list of anyone who is Jewish in an effort to crackdown on the "Jew terrorists". As a good number of the citizens are holocaust survivors this has people offended and more than a little scared.

Lets not pretend like discrimination is some newfangled contraption that progressives made to confuse the common man and "back in the day" everyone got offended by the same words. Some words have historical context to them that individuals find more offensive. Heck, even with our first amendment rights, "Hate Speech" can be considered against the law in certain circumstances. Personally, i think there is alot of merit to those that believe we are to sensative and not everything is an insult. There was a debate on this forum recently about the word "retard", its widespread usage, and its social context. I know homosexuals also have been fighting against the stereotype associated with the word "gay". Most of those things make me roll my eyes(despite seeing they to have a point, i just dont care enough about the problem at hand). But to suggest that all negative comments are the same is incorrect.

Our history is littered with discrimination, as supposedly evolved and civilized people we should attempt to be above throwing that history in peoples faces. Unless its really funny of course.....
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Come on man if I call a white dude a "monkey" he isn't going to take offense to it, at least 9 times out of 10. Racial slurs are based on race, the C word is a gender base slur not a racial slur. Back in my day you didn't need a rule book to figure out what was or wasn't offensive to someone or in what company you could or couldn't use the slur.

If I walk into a room full of my male football buddies and someone isn't drinking and say "pull the tampon out of you C" it isn't going to offend anyone (at least not my friends) but if I say that to my woman, I'm sleeping on the couch.
    See, that's what i dont get....why would it be racist for me to say "Whatsup my Nword" when a group of guys on the corner who happen to be black refer to all their friends as "My Nword" You can't segregate words any more than you can seperate people. Sensitivities be damned, words mean something or they dont...but you cant pick and choose.

Offense is taken, never given. People would do well to remember that.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    lol is someone in this thread really trying to defend calling a black person a monkey???? am i reading this right?
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The degree of offensiveness, to me anyway, is determined by
    A) the "nature" of the joke. Is there actual hate behind it? If so then...
    B) The person the joke is directed at.

I have a few friends that I will say almost anything to and it can be racial, sexist, heritage related, whatever. But theres no hate behind it and we know each other well enough to know where the line is. Whats appropriate to tell my friend is totally different than whats appropriate for someone I dont know as well.

With those tweets I think its pretty clear that there is actually hate behind the "jokes" and so it definitely crosses a line.
    Quote Quote